Has anyone ever been stung by stingray?

jenmast

Apologies in advance for the length, but this is a "canned" response that I've posted here a few times over the years... :D

Dangerous Stingrays?

Stingrays are generally non-aggressive. When threatened, their first reaction is to swim away. This is easy for them to do at Stingray City, since it's just a section of open ocean and the stingrays aren't penned up in any way. They don't just attack you and sting you (although they can be fairly enthusiastic and/or boisterous in their quest for squid chunks). They may sting you by reflex/accident if you step on one. That's why you are not permitted to wear water shoes at Stingray City, and why you are told to shuffle your feet rather than lift them, so that you will not accidententally step on one.

There are many, many types of rays. Steve Irwin was stung by a bull ray, a totally different type than the southern rays at Stingray City. It is also suggested that what killed him wasn't the sting itself, but the fact that he was stung in the chest and then pulled out the barb. There is also the issue that the bull ray was a wild ray and unused to people, while the Stingray City southern rays have spent years and years learning that people are not the enemy, they're a ready source of squid snacks.

For most stings, which are extremely rare, Wikipedia says that the remedy is usually hot water to dilute the venom plus antibiotics. I don't personally know anyone who has ever been stung, so I just have to trust my research on that part of the issue.

From my experience at Stingray City, which is fairly extensive, the usual "injuries" from stingrays involve "hickeys" from the suction of their mouths during a search for squid (say when your DH has stuffed a chunk of squid down your bathing suit for fun) or accidental scrapes from their tails when they swim by you too fast looking for squid and the tail kind of whips against you. These injuries are very minor, though, and are far from life-threatening.

You'll notice the common element here is squid. Stingrays at Stingray City are only interested in one thing...the snacks that they know you've brought with you. No squid = no stingray attention at all. They're worse than cats that way. If you aren't giving them treats, they've got very little interest in you. They may swim by, just to double-check for squid, but as soon as they realize you haven't got any, they'll swim away again fairly quickly. If you are at all nervous about them, stay away from the squid and the stingrays will stay away from you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingrays

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin#Death

I've been to Stingray City dozens of times, and never had a problem with the stingrays. (With my DH, sure, but never the rays. :D ) It's very safe as long as you behave with respect and common sense.

Myself and my 2 boys (14 and 11) did the "swim-with-the-stingray" thing on Cayman. We had a blast.

You just have to be careful not to step on them, as they swim by your legs, and the natural impulse is to lift your feet... and then when you put them back down you can easily step on one.

Our tour guide did get stung - but that was only becuase he picked one up, and took it out of the water to show it to my wife (who was still on the boat). It didn't really hurt him, but he sure dropped it in a hurry :)

The stingrays that we've encountered are as spoiled as my 3 dogs. They want food/treats and know that there is a chance that they will get food from humans. They love you as long as you have something for them; if you don't they will swim right by onto the next person. Enjoy them!

I accidentally stepped on one. I was horrified and waited for it to attack me but it just went away! I asked my guide there if it stung me would I die right there. His reply: "No, mum. We put you on the boat and take you to shore. We put you on the bus and take you to the hospital. You die there."

When in the Caymans we ALWAYS go to Stingray City!!! Would not miss it for anything. The last time we were there a young girl on our excursion had a broken leg and could not get into the water. The guides got her down on the ramp and held up several rays for her to pet. Do one got stung and she had a great time.

My philosophy is that if I want to do something I do it. Life happens so you should make the best to it and do what you want without fear - just be cautious.

Enjoy the rays they are not to be missed!

When our son was 10 years old, he stepped on a stingray and it "bit" him on the big toe. It hurt until the bartender squeezed fresh lime juice on the toe. 10 minutes later we were back swimming in the ocean.

This was in the Pacific near Puerto Vallarta so probably a different variety of stingray.

Croc Hunter Steve Irwin.

Not an accurate comparison...see my post below for more details.

At Stingray City:

- different type of stingrays than Irwin was chasing

- stingrays are very used to regular human interaction, unlike the one Irwin was chasing

- huge numbers of visitors safely interact with the stingrays daily

- experienced guides will instruct visitors on how to safely interact with the stingrays

- relatively easy to avoid physical contact with the stingrays if you stay away from the snacks (squid) and use common sense when moving around on the sandbar

We went to Stingray city on the JOS cruise with StingraySailing and highly recommend it. Personally it was one of the highlights of the trip for me. My daughter and sone loved it as well. The Stingrays are huge, some 3 feet across and are swimming around you constangly bumping up against you and looking for food. Kind of like a bunch of dogs or cats that were hungry.

I would recommend a private tour like Stingray Sailing. We had only 5 people on our boat (unusual--usually more like 20), got there before the big tour boats which had about looked like at least 50 or more on their boat. The Stingrays gave us all the special attention and we really got a much nicer experience without all the people.

I personally got slapped by a tail and got a tiny skin wound that bled for about 10 seconds and didnt notice it the rest of the trip and couldnt find it later no swelling. My daughter got a small love nip on her hand from not letting go of the fish quick enough! But hey we live on a farm and get bit by animals all the time and this was very minor. I would highly recommend it...they are amazing animals and you can tell everyone how you got to swim with them.

I accidentally stepped on one. I was horrified and waited for it to attack me but it just went away! I asked my guide there if it stung me would I die right there. His reply: "No, mum. We put you on the boat and take you to shore. We put you on the bus and take you to the hospital. You die there."

That is funny! When we were at Stingray City several years ago it was shortly after Steve Irwin's tragic death and my wife screamed (alot) whenever they would swim by her - I couldn't stop laughing most of the time we were there. The rays were everywhere!

i accidentally stepped on one. I was horrified and waited for it to attack me but it just went away! I asked my guide there if it stung me would i die right there. His reply: "no, mum. We put you on the boat and take you to shore. We put you on the bus and take you to the hospital. You die there."

lmbo:d:d

We'll be in Cayman during Christmas and my kids really want to go to Stingray City. Maybe I'm too over protective, but I'm really nervous about them getting stung. Any suggestions?

I just did Stingray City a couple weeks ago. I felt totally safe and all my fears melted away with these amazing animals!

I have a video of my experience. You can be the judge! :D

Definitely not to be missed. We had a great time there. They told us that the stingers were removed so that made us feel more comfortable!

Though possibly reassuring, it is not accurate. The rays you may see with stubby, short tails have used the one opportunity with their barb (probably to escape a shark trying to eat them :eek:). Those rays with the full, long tail still have their barbs.

They told us that the stingers were removed so that made us feel more comfortable!

LOL! :D That would be quite a feat, since the stingrays are wild.

I'll agree with the PPs, though, that meeting the stingrays is something not to be missed. No matter how many times we go, I never get tired of it...

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Stingray City on my Freedom cruise. I admit I was pretty nervous at first about being stung, but once I was in the water I was fine. Something to keep in mind, which I unfortunately learned the hard way, is to keep your thumb tucked into your first when holding a piece of squid for them. Otherwise... OUCH!!!! Ya, not my smartest moment... :)

Respect them, feed them, be gentle with them, be careful with them as you would any animal that you have no personal knowledge of. Think "moderately friendly neighborhood cat" which will respond positively to free snacks. Not domesticated but far from "wild"--more like "accustomed to the presence of humans". Be wary but don't "beware". Relax and enjoy their beauty and friendliness. If you do decide to interact with the 'rays, you will almost assuredly want to go back. I know everyone I've spoken with who has visited the rays has been enthusiastic about a rematch!

I just did Stingray City a couple weeks ago. I felt totally safe and all my fears melted away with these amazing animals!

I have a video of my experience. You can be the judge! :D

We are heading there in February and I was wondering what type of video camera you used. I am planning on purchasing the Kodak Playsport (waterproof video and still camera) and was wonding what you used.

Thanks,

Linda

We are heading there in February and I was wondering what type of video camera you used. I am planning on purchasing the Kodak Playsport (waterproof video and still camera) and was wonding what you used.

Thanks,

Linda

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 12 Megapixels - Waterproof to 3 meters is what is used on this trip which I bought a year ago.

I have since purchased a Panasonic DMC-TS2 which is good to 10 meters underwater and is 14 Megapixels which is the one available in stores now.

Archived