Mercury in January, Baltimore... brrrrr

smurf1635

There is an excellent LIVE report by CC Member RADIO on his Mercury cruise from Jan 2010 departing out from Baltimore. The pictures start on Page 3, but by all indications the 'warm' weather didnt hit until the 3rd of 4th day, and they didnt set out the pool chairs until Day 3 in Charleston, SC. I think the entire eastern US was in a cold snap this past winter so it may be difficult to judge exactly when your cruise will get 'warm'.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1111717

Tell me please, how days/hours into the cruise until it feels warm and summer like? How does everyone spend their time on those cold days? I imagine that I wont be seeing everyone hanging out by the pools?

Smurf,

Don't worry about getting too cold out by the pool. You're alread blue. :p

The pools are all saltwater on the Mercury. I just got off this past Saturday, after 12 wonderful days onboard. Enjoy your cruise. If you see Amara (Barstaff around pool deck and theater during shows) please tell him Barb said Hi!

Barb

Tell me please, how days/hours into the cruise until it feels warm and summer like? How does everyone spend their time on those cold days? I imagine that I wont be seeing everyone hanging out by the pools?

We sailed this itinerary over the holidays last year (and are doing it again this year), so we we'll be getting off when you get on. Weather in Baltimore and down the Chesapeake Bay is really iffy - can be warmish in that period or cold (like it was last year).

This itinerary has 3 sea days to get all the way east to St. Thomas and returning from St. Martin so you have a lot of time on the open North Atlantic, unlike the other itinerary that stays closer to the coast and actually between the coast and the Gulf Stream. Last year the first sea day was NOT outdoor weather. Afternoon of the second might be long pants & sleeves outside in a sunny spot. Third day got decent. Returning was about the same, although that second sea day got too cold to be outside. Sitting by the Palm Springs Pool was nice and warm - and in the sun on that deck at the stern was also OK if you were out of the wind.

j

Archived