Diamond Gamble

gpg306

Just wanting to get some different views on my situation. We are booked on the Monarch on this Friday's sailing and on the Radiance on January 17, 2011. If I spend the extra 630.00 and upgrade to a junior suite on the Radiance this will make us Diamond after the completion of that sailing. I am in debate as to whether to spend the extra money to make Diamond because of the rumors with the changes coming after the first of the year. We want to be Diamond for our Oasis sailing, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

If I spend the extra 630.00 and upgrade to a junior suite on the Radiance

What category are you upgrading from? Not sure I'd pay an extra $630 just to make Diamond. You could take that $630 and do another short cruise on Monarch....or Radiance from Tampa.

We are upgrading from an E1 balcony and we won't get to cruise again until May 2011. I am unsure because of the rumors.

Well, if you want to go on the rumors, they would take effect January 1, so getting a JS on Radiance wouldn't make a difference.

But have to agree with SeaUs, can't think of anything about being diamond (or D+ for that matter) that is worth $630.

We did a JS on Liberty 3 day and it was about double the price of a balcony, trying to get to diamond before Oasis. .. just because we wanted it. I did think for double the price it probably wasnt worth it for the cabin, as it was still just a bigger balcony

We wanted into the diamond lounge on oasis .. we admitted it.

I understand about the lounge but looking long term as far as balcony discount being 200.00 per cruise it will pay for itself in a year. Just trying to look at everything. Thank you for your replies all information and views helps.

But have to agree with SeaUs, can't think of anything about being diamond (or D+ for that matter) that is worth $630.
Pretty sure that $630 is for the cabin not per person, and maybe it's not worth it for a single cruise. But, if you're concerned about the rules changing and it being a number of cruises before you reach Diamond if you don't make it quickly, and if you're a person who could get a good benefit from access to the DL, within a couple of cruises you could easily save that much in drink costs by having the DL open to you.

Just reached diamond on our last cruise and I would agree that $630 just to hit that status is probably not worth it. However, if you like the idea of having a larger cabin (and assume the $630 is total, not per person), I would say go for it! We've been doing the jr. suites for extra room, and on our upcoming cruise I was able to upgrade into what will be our first "real" suite for about what the jr. suite will cost you. I'm really excited about it, and for me it's worth every extra penny.

I would think it would be best to hit the Diamond mark in 2010. The buzz seems to be that there are changes coming Jan. 1, 2011. If the credits required to become D/D+ increases it will take you that much longer to get to that tier. As of now it is unknown what the credits will be.

As for the $630 you could look at it a couple ways. If the credits increase by say 10 and you take 10 seven day cruises that qualify for one credit each you would be missing $1000 in balcony discounts. Factor in the Diamond event or Diamond Lounge @ say 3 drinks each per night and you have more than made up the $630.

Is it worth it...I would say do the math only you know your situation and only you can make that decision. Just my 2 cents.

If you can sail on Radiance next month when you will get a extra cruise credit just for sailing then.

ITA with this, there are some smoking hot deals on the Radiance in Dec out of Tampa.

I just checked rates and there are some really good deals, too bad our airfare would be higher than the cruise rate!! :eek:

If moving up to a JS will get you to Diamond by the end of the year, I'd go for it. If RCCL changes the tier structure at least you've made it to Diamond under the present rules. My daughter is going on the Majesty today to make it to Diamond this year.

If they change anything, it will most likely be based on the number of days sailed for 1 thing.

To get the same one cruise credit for sailing on an 11 night as well as on a 3 night is a little much

We are doing the same thing, we have 9 completed cruises and am going to take a cheapie Monarch of the Seas sailing on December 10th ($109 pp) to get our 10th credit before the rumored tier changes at the beginning of next year.

We normally take a cruise in January, so we had to just bump it up a month to "gamble"

Something seems fishy about the December Diamonds promotion.

Hopefully they will Grandfather if the tiers change.

Adam

Not sure I understand this statement.:confused: Can you explain it? Thanks.

I really don't understand it either, lol!

This may be a way for Royal to "spin" the tier change if they don't Grandfather.

It could go like this:

Me: I am upset because you didn't Grandfather me in, and now I have to take X number more cruises to become Diamond again.

Royal: Well we did do the December Diamond promotion to help you earn double credits. This will get you close again to Diamond status...

Again, this is just a thought of mine, no need to get flamed, as nobody knows what is going to happen.

In the end if Grandfathering didn't happen, it would stink (nobody likes getting things taken away from them) but it wouldn't be a game changer. I would still be Loyal to Royal.

Adam

I really don't understand it either, lol!

This may be a way for Royal to "spin" the tier change if they don't Grandfather.

It could go like this:

Me: I am upset because you didn't Grandfather me in, and now I have to take X number more cruises to become Diamond again.

Royal: Well we did do the December Diamond promotion to help you earn double credits. This will get you close again to Diamond status...

Again, this is just a thought of mine, no need to get flamed, as nobody knows what is going to happen.

In the end if Grandfathering didn't happen, it would stink (nobody likes getting things taken away from them) but it wouldn't be a game changer. I would still be Loyal to Royal.

Adam

The December Diamond Promotion is only for Diamond and Diamond+ members, it will not help a non diamond member get to diamond

If moving up to a JS will get you to Diamond by the end of the year, I'd go for it. If RCCL changes the tier structure at least you've made it to Diamond under the present rules. My daughter is going on the Majesty today to make it to Diamond this year.

Yes...I am on my way to the Majesty for a quick cruise credit. It would make me sick to know that I was one away from Diamond prior to a change. I too want to enjoy the Diamond lounge on the Freedom this summer!!!!;) Go for it!!!!!

As stated, it is a Diamond promotion. You only get the extra credit if you are already diamond.

Archived