Do you keep "robbery money" in shirt when walking around ports?

wrxrob

I was reading the comments of the armchair quarterbacks over on msn in regards to the St Kitts excursion robbery and found this comment

Anytime you travel to a 3rd world country, expect to get robbed. I used to carry a small amount of robbery money in my shirt pocket. Just throw it on the ground and run, the robber will pick up the few bucks and usually leave. Remember, they need it more than you do.

really?:eek: Is robbery so common at the ports that people keep a small amount in a separate pocket just in case they get mugged?

Seriously, if it is that bad, I will do the same. But I'm not canceling the trip based on that comment. :p

I was reading the comments of the armchair quarterbacks over on msn in regards to the St Kitts excursion robbery and found this comment

really?:eek: Is robbery so common at the ports that people keep a small amount in a separate pocket just in case they get mugged?

Seriously, if it is that bad, I will do the same. But I'm not canceling the trip based on that comment. :p

You know, I've heard it's smart to always have mugger money on you. A $20 bill, and that was for going about town here in Seattle. Because 98% of the muggings are about getting enough cash for a small hit of drugs. Not enough money can equal a frustrated & angry addict in withdrawal.

Not that I always manage to have mugger money on me - but this sort of crime happens anywhere.

You know, I've heard it's smart to always have mugger money on you. A $20 bill, and that was for going about town here in Seattle. Because 98% of the muggings are about getting enough cash for a small hit of drugs. Not enough money can equal a frustrated & angry addict in withdrawal.

Not that I always manage to have mugger money on me - but this sort of crime happens anywhere.

YUP, that's true for sure.

Yes, I have even carried a throw away cheap wallet. $20 in ones, some of those fake looking credit card size plastic freebees you get in the mail. Other worthless paper. Nothing with my name or address on it.

I have even taught it in my CPL classes a while back.

And it does work! (From experience)

DDWW

Not enough money can equal a frustrated & angry addict in withdrawal.

I gave 3 cents to a beggar behind a strip club in Myrtle Beach when I was a teenager. I don't think this guy was a mugger, and it was literally the only money I had on me :D . I suppose I got lucky that he didn't get frustrated/angry.

Yes, I have even carried a throw away cheap wallet. $20 in ones, some of those fake looking credit card size plastic freebees you get in the mail. Other worthless paper. Nothing with my name or address on it.

DDWW

:eek: Wow, so this thread is turning into a valid question. :( Thank you for the detailed advice, as I may do the same.:)

I never really thought of this until I started reading this thread. Some good points are brought up as well as the unfortunate commontary about society as a whole today

The fact that the first quote says "Remember, they need it more than you do" REALLY?! Does anyone else see anything wrong with that phrase?

I don't cary "mugger money" on me, that probably also because if I threw $20 bucks on the ground and ran way they would chase me down for the rest of it and my jewelry.

DDWW

:confused: What is a "CPL" class?

I try to keep up with everyone's abbreviations but there are so many. Can't possibly know them all.

Thanks.

Why would you carry mugger money in the US when you can carry a gun?? :D

It's something that I never thought of for cruise ports....I generally think of the tourist areas in cruise ports as fairly safe!!

:confused: What is a "CPL" class?

I try to keep up with everyone's abbreviations but there are so many. Can't possibly know them all.

Thanks.

I was wondering the same thing. I thought it was a typo for CPR class...that way if the mugger had a heart attack you could try to revive him.

*shocked* "mugger money in Seattle?" I would have never dreamed (OK, so I'm being sarcastic). I never carry ANY cash on me, and don't take my debit card, either, unless I am going somewhere to use it. Maybe I should??????

I'll have to give that some serious thought, though we mostly cruise AK and the west coast of the US due to my inability to fly. Thanks for starting the topic.

I never carry much cash so that's not what I would be worried about, I'd be worried about my camera with all my pics inside. If I was worried about a port, I'd probably wear a jacket to cover my camera or hide the SD card in my clothes somewhere.

Why would you carry mugger money in the US when you can carry a gun?? :D

It's something that I never thought of for cruise ports....I generally think of the tourist areas in cruise ports as fairly safe!!

While I do this in ports my incident happened in a US City. I do carry when and where it is legal (most states). But from one of the formost experts in concealed carry/self defense, $20 is cheaper than any lawyer is going to cost you and if it does accelerate to where lethal force is needed a showing that you tried to buy them off and walk away sure helps in your defense.

I also think most cruise ports are safe, if you stay in the main areas. For most island countries the tourist trade is thier major income so they do not want them to have a bad experience. Some islands we would wonder more than others, such as renting a car on St. Martin. Other ports we were even warned by the cruise director not to wonder away from the tourist areas.

So it goes.

DDWW

Last July I spoke to a Gendarmme (?sp.) who had just been stationed in St. Martin since last spring and he said that if he was robbed dressed as a civilian, he would hand over his wallet and anything else that they wanted. He said that the kids are 12 and 13 and they will shoot you. He was dead serious. He told us that it was the worst place that he had been stationed at. I am happy to report that that was on day two of a wonderful crime free 8 day vacation.

Before traveling, I go through my wallet and take out all the cards, etc. I won't need, amazing! Where does all that stuff come from?:confused:

Then before going into a strange area (US or port) I take out most of the money (goes in the safe) and the CC (If I take it, it goes in another pocket).

Then I'm ready; money (and usually CC) in safe, few $$ spending money for beer and stuff in pocket, a few $$ in another pocket.

Main thing is,,, Be Alert!

We've never had any trouble, but one time some Gypseys were getting close and we told them to back off (In two languages) and went into a store and had coffee as an escape. When last seen, they were following some other tourists.

I have a wallet with all those "give me" credit cards they send to you. They are worthless.

I travel the world to some VERY unsavory places (no place most normal tourists would go).

DO NOT have a purse, NO NOT have fancy jewelry, DO NOT flash the passport, DO NOT have large amounts of cash.

I travel the world with a $100 bill in the insole of one shoe, another credit card with a $2000 limit in the other shoe. I RARELY have more than $100 cash in LOCAL currency. And I have the "cheat" wallet (right out in front of everything else) with all those bogus credit cards.

Would I hand over the "bogus" wallet??? You betcha. Would I put myself in a place where I would HAVE to hand over the bogus wallet??? NOT ON YOU LIFE.

IT is a CRUEL world out there. Americans need to learn the ways of the world. Most are totally NAIVE!!!

We had this converation over the Thanksgiving Table yesterday and were divided in what we thought of the 'bogus wallet'. Some feared the thief would know it was bogus and would be irate to the point of physical harm. Others thought it a good idea.

I always have money in my shoe. Even when we exercise walk in our very safe neighborhood and have no 'need' for money I have a $20 in my sneaker in case we get thirsty and want to stop at local little shop for a cold drink.

Or, just in case. I always have a business card in my jacket/hoodie pocket when we walk, just in case there's a need for identification and we are unable to speak.

I also always have a small pencil and piece of paper in case I want to jot down a license plate number, just in case.

Archived