Cross Dressing on Formal nights

MrsCruiseBabe

[quote name='navybankerteacher']Interesting how open-minded everyone on this board is -- clearly not reflective of the country as a whole.[/quote]

very astutue observation . Seems like the more traveled a person is the more open minded they are. Those fresh on the boat as it were seem a little less open minded. Not in all cases but a great majority..

[quote name='SakeDad']As long as your sword was bedazzled I'm sure it would be just fine!:p[/QUOTE]
How about if I showed up as King Arthur wearing Excalibur and regaled my table-mates with the story of how the Lady of the Lake told me to pull it from the stone... then asked them to hold off ordering while I ran back to my stateroom to change... because I've decided -
I AM The Lady of the Lake. ;)

Does the person cross dress openly in his private life at home??? Do his friends and family know he does this? If not, I can't imagine that a cruise is any "safer" a place to reveal such preferences. Most people are not that open minded and might not say anything but would probably stare, whisper and point. If the cross dresser is okay with that, then to each his own. My 9 year old DD would DEFINITELY have comments to make and would wonder if it was a fancy dress party. If attracting attention and being the center of ship gossip is not a problem, then go for it. Personally, I have never seen this on a ship and can't imagine it getting a positive reception.

So the OP says

[QUOTE]If we cruise with anyone other than Disney or Regent, it won’t be HAL.
[/QUOTE]

in this thread from Dec/09

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1111150&highlight=[/url]

... so I'm really wondering what her motivation is for even asking this on the HAL board.

[quote name='CowPrincess']So the OP says

[URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1111150&highlight=[/URL]

... so I'm really wondering what her motivation is for even asking this on the HAL board.[/quote]

I've been wondering that as well.

[quote name='MrsCruiseBabe']My husbands brother is a cross dresser and wants to know if he would feel outta place dressing up on formal nights ????[/quote]

If you wanted to know how your BIL would feel, I think you would have been better off asking him instead of CC members...I believe he would have more experience than most people for having been in similar situations before. I admit I do not have any experience and am quite proud of the fact.

IMO, it would be idiotic for him to walk into dinner dressed to make a spectacle of himself.

If, on the other hand, he can cross-dress in such a way as to make himself look like a properly dressed, properly made up woman and not be a spectacle, that might not be so bad.

If he's just doing it to show off, I'd rather he do it over on Carnival or Disney. The audience is likely to be more responsive.

IMO

[quote name='mudscraper']The possibility exists that the gentleman is 5`8" tall and weighs 285lbs. and has a long red beard! What eye shadow would you recommend ?[/quote]

Always cue from the color of the eye first Rich when selecting shadow ;)

OP says ...
[B]
[I]My husband's brother is a cross dresser and wants to know if he would feel outta place dressing up on formal nights. He is not what you would call a passing cross dresser. He kind of looks like it's Halloween with lots of lipstick[/I].[/B]

C'mon! How can a post like this get taken seriously? Regardless of age, sex, level of sophistication, travel history, sexual orientation, country of origin, natural hair color, religious preference, or anything else, who could actually take this posting to be a serious question? Is political correctness so rampant that a joke can't be spotted as one anymore?

Or is it just me? Please, someone -- anyone! -- please tell me this is a joke!

[quote name='CowPrincess']So the OP says

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1111150&highlight=[/url]

... so I'm really wondering what her motivation is for even asking this on the HAL board.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I am confused but it seems that the quote you posted isn't from the OP...When you go to that link it's from another poster I believe?

[quote name='Opinions']Perhaps I am confused but it seems that the quote you posted isn't from the OP...When you go to that link it's from another poster I believe?[/QUOTE]
Yes. The OP replied on the quoted thread; she was not the 'originator'.

[quote name='hensghan']OP says ...

[B][I]My husband's brother is a cross dresser and wants to know if he would feel outta place dressing up on formal nights. He is not what you would call a passing cross dresser. He kind of looks like it's Halloween with lots of lipstick[/I].[/B]

C'mon! How can a post like this get taken seriously? Regardless of age, sex, level of sophistication, travel history, sexual orientation, country of origin, natural hair color, religious preference, or anything else, who could actually take this posting to be a serious question? Is political correctness so rampant that a joke can't be spotted as one anymore?

Or is it just me? Please, someone -- anyone! -- please tell me this is a joke![/quote]

You hit the nail on the head --- everyone was so busy falling all over themselves showing how broadminded they are that they failed to see that the question lacked a sense of reality.

I will be politically incorrect here - I would be uncomfortable sitting at the table with him. I would not make any negative comments directly to him but if he insisted on cross dressing at evening meals, I would request a change of tables.

Flame away.

DON

[quote name='hensghan']OP says ...

[B][I]My husband's brother is a cross dresser and wants to know if he would feel outta place dressing up on formal nights. He is not what you would call a passing cross dresser. He kind of looks like it's Halloween with lots of lipstick[/I].[/B]

Or is it just me? Please, someone -- anyone! -- please tell me this is a joke![/quote]
I'm pretty sure this is a joke. I think the OP is just trying to stir the pot.

Hi there,
there were two very nice and fantastic "gals" on our Oct 30 cruising of Eurodam. They were always dressed, and dressed nicely might I add! They were fun and sweet. Funny enough we met them on a previous RCCL cruise and they remembered us. I believe he will be fine. They seemed to not have any issues and looked like they felt comfortable.

Hey, I live in Las Vegas. Go out to the Strip, and you'll see plenty of cross-dressers, a few Elvis's, and maybe even an Elvis cross-dresser. :D

Not much surprises me anymore--I say to each his own. I'd be more interested in good conversation and a sense of humor in my table mates.

[quote name='kyriecat']Interesting question so I'm going to give an honest answer even though some people will be happy to hang me on the spit for it.

The OP didn't mention whether the BIL is dining only with members of his party or with strangers, open seating or fixed. That could make a difference in response. I prefer fixed seating at a large table so I can dine with a mix of people. I admit that I don't always agree with my tablemates, but I respect their right to have differing opinions and lifestyles from mine. I wouldn't intentionally offend someone simply because they live their life different from me.

However, if I knew a tablemate as a man for a couple of days then he suddenly showed up as a women, especially if I didn't recognize him approaching the table, my mouth might let out an "OMG" in SURPRISE or I may simply get a stunned expression before my brain has a chance to process this new information. It wouldn't be intended as unacceptance or an insult to the BIL - just something I wasn't expecting. However, the BIL might take the comment/expression as an insult.

If the BIL is dining with new people, it might be good to work the cross-dressing into a conversation before formal night so the others at the table aren't surprised and cause accidental offense. I have no idea if there is a delicate way of doing that. If the others at the table do seem unaccepting, the BIL would have a chance to decide whether to join them anyway, switch to a different table, or try another dining venue for formal night.

If the BIL is only dining with members of his party, then he should show up dressed as he wants, within the accepable dress code for the gender he chooses, of course.[/quote]

This forum doesn't enable the "reps" option, so I'll give reps manually. This answer is pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

He should feel welcomed to dress as he wishes, but some common sense should also apply. If his table chaps see him as male, and he suddenly shows up in a formal gown, it's going to be awkward, to say the least.

If that is the situation, the previous night he should give them some advanced notice.

Archived