NZ -cheapest way to arrange money exchange?

sherri3802

Just a couple of quick questions.

We are off to NZ in a few months and I just wanted to doube check

-no visa is required by Aussies to go there, is there? that is my understanding, that all I will need is my passport.

Second question which is vexing me. Although the trip itself is paid for, of course I will need money to spend in the different places-souvenirs, lunch, that sort of thing.

I am wondering what is the best(cheapest) way to go about getting cash in NZ dollars. A friend told me that money exchange places, such as the sort they have at airports, isn't the best option. She said just use visa card but visa isn't always suitable for eg a cup of coffee.

As you can tell, I am not really up with 'international' travel. Sure, i cruised to Vila and some sth pacific islands but most just accepted aussie dollars.:)

-no visa is required by Aussies to go there, is there? that is my understanding, that all I will need is my passport.

Second question which is vexing me. Although the trip itself is paid for, of course I will need money to spend in the different places-souvenirs, lunch, that sort of thing.

I am wondering what is the best(cheapest) way to go about getting cash in NZ dollars. A friend told me that money exchange places, such as the sort they have at airports, isn't the best option. She said just use visa card but visa isn't always suitable for eg a cup of coffee.

As you can tell, I am not really up with 'international' travel. Sure, i cruised to Vila and some sth pacific islands but most just accepted aussie dollars.:)

We buy our money from the Post Office, they seem to have the best rate and do not charge any fees, it takes about 2 days once you have ordered it to come in, the only thing is they do not buy any monies back at the end you will have to take it to your bank. or you could just spend it all!.....hee hee! Robin:D

Can't you use your ATM card in NZ? Quick, convenient and you get the market rate. It's what we use when traveling internationally.

If you only want it for spending on little things like you mentioned, I'd just get it in advance from either the local post office, or order online through Travelex, depending which is more convenient (though if you're picking up at the airport when you leave, give yourself another half hour to queue/convert there). Neither charge commission and have reasonably good rates - for a small amount of money (e.g. a few hundred) it won't make much difference. And it means that you don't have to spend precious travel time running around in NZ finding a place, queuing and converting.

You're correct about the visa too. All you need is to show your passport at Immigration at the airport in NZ.

We generally just go to an ATM and withdraw the money out of the ATM. My bank chagres me AUD$5 fee plus an international transaction fee (about 1%), but often that still works out a better deal than the currency exchange places.

Australian passport holders do not require a Visa to enter NZ.

Yes I have done this exersise, the cheapest overseas money is to use a NAB gold account with a visa debit card, 10 dollar account keeeping fee per month, but if you have have inputs over 5000 (you can take it strait out again if you like) then no fee. no ATM fees oversesa, no conversion fee. looks like no hidden costs and you use your own Australian dollars. No that good if you think the AUD may fall though.

Thank you everyone.:)

I had absolutely no idea I could get money at a post office, so i ahve learnt a new thing today.

The ATM could be a good option too. I will have to find out if our visa works overseas.

Or as Livingstone mentioned, an NAB card could be the go.

28 degree mastercard - was previously called wizard clear advantage mastercard.

no yearly fee, no overseas cash advance fees, no foreign currency conversion fees.

we load it up with cash before we travel so we are spending our money so don't get charged any interest charges either.

we actually have two accounts - one for cash withdrawals and one for purchases. always pay off full balance each month, even when o/s like recently, by making bpay over the internet

by the way, in Napier at the moment. Sun Princess in town yesterday, Regent Seven Seas Navigator today. She must be pulling away from the dock as I type - 6pm departure. will watch her sail out across Hawkes Bay, past our motel

pete

Thank you everyone.:)

I had absolutely no idea I could get money at a post office, so i ahve learnt a new thing today.

The ATM could be a good option too. I will have to find out if our visa works overseas.

Or as Livingstone mentioned, an NAB card could be the go.

NAB gold account, you have to open an account to get the card. that is the catch

Archived