Just back from November 6th cruise to New Zealand

Cruisedreamer1

For anyone who was worried about the PG and whether it was still as wonderful as before, be not afraid. It is still as great as when it was managed by Regent. This was a 14 day cruise with 3 days in Auckland after the cruise.

The food is as good or better. The crew seems happier and the service better than our 4 previous times on the ship!

The ship will undergo a complete overhaul in January of 2012. Based on the drawings, we saw it will be totally remodeled with changes in carpeting, furniture and wall coverings. The color scheme will updated with aquas and other blue tones.

The entertainment on ship, while still not a 10, was better with more variety. Treia, a wonderful singer with the band, was great and sang updated songs throughout the cruise. Personally, I thnk she whould be given her own one man show on the ship. We had a magician,an astrommer,Jacquine Haan(PG, the artist) and Mark Eddowes(both educational and entertaining) and Michael Shapiro, cruise director-two nice shows by him.

We had a bit of a scare in Tonga when there was a problem with the propellar system but the crew was able to resolve it quickly and the capitan and cruise director kept us totally informed. The ship's engineers upped the speed and we were able to make our 1st stop in New Zealand on schedule.

When I am more rested, I will tell more. This itinerary will probably not be repeated for a while(certainly not in 2011). If you have any questions, please ask.

Our adult daughter had a fabulous time scub diving.

Hi Cruisedreamer,

Glad to hear all was good.

Was Efren on board? Randy?Elmo? Ivan? Miki? Arnold?

I cannot wait for my next trip in June. When we went last November we told ourselves and everyone on board that it was our last as it was leaving Regent's fleet. Now I am saying that if all is good we will try and go every two years.

I do like Treia.

When I am more rested, I will tell more.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Your comments are very positive & I look forward to reading your full review once you're back to reality. But in case you check in before that, I'm interesting in knowing how full was your cruise?

Wendy - you have a short memory. You asked me to say hello to him in May and I replied :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24469705&postcount=13

You need another cruise to FP :)

Yeh, okay, I can't remember all this stuff I read! I'm settling for the Caribbean, in two weeks.

Ok, now I can speak: Miki is still there, Thomas C(a young handsome french man dating Bobbie , the naturalist from CA )is there in place of Ivan. Elmo was still at the piano bar making great cocktail!

Going over to New Zealand there were 290 guests and we were told going back there were 190 guests(it's rougher since it is against the current).

I just received an email from a crew friend and she reported that it was very rocky!

The ship will undergo a complete overhaul in January of 2012. Based on the drawings, we saw it will be totally remodeled with changes in carpeting, furniture and wall coverings.
Cruisedreamer, thanks for the occupancy numbers on your sailing & for your positive assessment of PG post-Regent.

I'm curious about the planned 2012 overhaul. Does PG suffer from any apparent deficiencies now? Would you suggest holding off booking until after the retrofit? Is there any substance to other reports that the ship is tired & dated? We have sailed other ships pre-drydock & vowed never to do so again. I would appreciate your no-holds barred opinion! Thanks.

The ship is well maintained and the crew works hard to keep it looking that way. It is your choice about booking. I have always thought that we booked the PG for the outstanding and friendly service given to us and the great food and beverage. The decor was not a consideration for us.Rgiht now it is not in the leaguw of the Regent Mariner for example in decor.

I think after the dry work the cost will be incorporated into future cruises so why not cruise now...

Archived