What not to wear for TSA

bepsf

Interesting article on what to wear to make your journey thru airport security easier on you:

Basically - baggy pants, loose sweaters, shoes with laces, pockets full of stuff and long skirts are out.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/23/national/main7082214.shtml

I had a Canadian TSA agent give me a good pat-up at Vancouver airport. She was the same size as me but was having difficulty with my underwire bra - go figure. Next time I'll fly wireless:

If we weren't uncomfortable enough jammed in those tight seats, now they want us to do it in tight fitting clothing??? Can you say acid reflux?

And no underwires.....no problem. At long last there is some justice for those of us who have gone through life feeling cheated by the chest fairy.:D

Unfortunately, there are some of us who feel the chest fairy was overly generous and have no choice but to wear underwire bras. Most racer back sports bras aren't even an option. Removing the underwires will get me through security ungroped but only increases the load on my overburdened back and is not very comfortable for very long. I can't believe this is the level we have sunk to, when I have to stash one bra in my carryon just so I can change into it after surviving the scanner strip search and TSA feel up. Don't these people have any brains at all???

Hearing aids have posed a problem for me, they have always set off alarms and TSA putting me through an extra security search. They were a problem at the airport in Las Vegas and Ft. Lauderdale. They even required me to be searched at the cruise terminal to board the Eurodam. Even after telling security it is my hearing aids setting off the alarms. Now I never wear my hearing aid when flying, place them in my carryon bag. I just play deaf and dumb and let my wife talk for me and lead me through security.

I have become a connoisseur of airport security in many countries. Wearing my best loose fitting, no metal, no underwires, no belt, no jewellery outfit, I "met" a particularly loud and obnoxious agent at FLL last week.

TSA agent: (points at me and bellows) YOU! WALK THROUGH!

be-be-be-be-beep

TSA agent (before I could say anything): YA GOT METAL ON YA! GO BACK AND EMPTY YOUR POCKETS!

I go back. I gesture that I have no pockets. But Before I can say anything about my knees he yells again -- WALK THROUGH!!!!

be-be-be-be-beep

TSA: (before I could say anything about my knees) GO BACK! YA STILL GOT METAL ON YA SOMEWHERE!

Knowing better than to argue with a TSA agent, I go back through the arch. Now with an audience of waiting travelers, I had to shout my medical info over to him

"I HAVE TWO TITANIUM KNEES!!!"

I was told to WAIT RIGHT THERE AND DON'T YOU MOVE!!!.

Yikes, I didn't dare move! But there was no female frisker available. So I waited. And I waited. Finally I shouted over "EXCUSE ME SIR, MY PURSE AND PASSPORT ARE WAY OVER THEEEEERE -- IS SOMEONE WATCHING THEM?"

His answer? I DUNNO, I'M WATCHING THIS MACHINE.

Fortunately, at that point, he was relieved by another agent. I asked the same question of the new guy. His answer "Don't worry ma'am, there are cameras everywhere, and even if someone grabbed it, we'd get it back!" OK, fair enough.

Finally, I was body scanned :eek: and frisked. Unpleasant, but not as bad as the bossy yelling treatment I'd had from Mr. Grumpy.

I think it's treatment like this that gets people more upset than necessary. Nobody likes security checks, but they are much easier for everyone (including, I'm sure, the agents) if they are made as pleasant and as non-threatening as possible. One place that always impresses me with their polite, efficient and very thorough security is the UK.

Why is TSA security usually so rude and unpleasant?

Why is TSA security usually so rude and unpleasant?

Can you even imagine having to do their jobs???? :eek: We are frequent travelers, and we've had mostly good luck with mostly polite TSA people. But we have seen any number of rude and/or completely clueless travelers who need direction multiple times. It would be like dealing with preschoolers over and over and over again all day long! I think I would get grumpy too!

The most irritating thing to us about the new scanners (which we've both gone through multiple times) is you cannot have ANYTHING in your pockets--NOTHING. Not even Kleenex. Or your boarding pass (hold it in your hand over your head). Our pre-security routine is to put everything in a) the pocket of our jacket/sweater or b) a pocket in our backpacks (forget style, we go for function in our carry-ons). If everyone was prepared, going through security would be much more pleasant. Unfortunately, most travelers are not frequent fliers so don't have the information needed or seem to care if they are prepared when they get to the front of the security line. (A pet peeve. Getting off my soapbox now.)

My son is graduating from college next month and does not want to work in his field of study (go figure), so I suggested he apply for a job with TSA. His reaction? "NO WAY!!!!" Heh. That would be mine too.

From ksl.com: A guy at SLC on Wednesday

pgallery

For the full story: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=13397463&nid=148

Robin

Okay, let me get this straight. I'm supposed to go out and spend money on unflattering clothes, that I wouldn't want to be seen in, so I can meet some unwritten TSA dress code, for the few minutes during which I'm going to be fondled?

Is that it? :confused:

Ruth, you got it!:)

I had a Canadian TSA agent give me a good pat-up at Vancouver airport. She was the same size as me but was having difficulty with my underwire bra - go figure. Next time I'll fly wireless:

I believe that TSA (Transportation Security Administration) refers to agents at/in U.S. airports!

At/in Canadian airports, the agents, I believe, are known as CATSA (Canadian Air Transport Security Authority) agents!;)

Great, I can't wait to put my tight-fitting clothes on to sit like sardines for an 8 hour flight. That should create a spike in the deep vein thrombosis cases!

I've got to go now and check my closet for those clothes I was going to give away 10 pounds ago . . .

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I have worn an underwire bra for years and have never had any trouble going through scanners. Maybe I have an innocent face or something, as many times they tell me that I can leave on my sweater and shoes.

Interesting article on what to wear to make your journey thru airport security easier on you:

Basically - baggy pants, loose sweaters, shoes with laces, pockets full of stuff and long skirts are out.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/23/national/main7082214.shtml

This government will insist on Mao suits before the end of all of this.

My underwire bra caused no problems our last flight ..what a close knit group we CCers are.. no secrets here :D:D

I must admit I did wonder if it would....next thing you know some terroist will devise a way to hide explosives in underwire ...

Maybe PJ's will be the new flight outfit of choice...got to admit comfortable ...slippers easy to get off.. oops :o some people sleep buff ..well no alarms there:D

Note to self.. start compamy specializing in flight wear.:)

We bought travel jackets from Magellan's that have multiple pockets, several of which zip closed keeping valuables safely out of sight. DH has worn his while flying. (I haven't flown since we got the jackets.) He simply puts everything, including his watch, in jacket pockets then sends the jacket through the scanner with carry-ons. He has nothing left in pockets or on himself to set off the beeps. While he was skeptical when I suggested them, he now appreciates them because they make going through security so much easier and quicker. So far that has worked for him.

I've been wondering if I should get a sports bra and plan to wear pants with elastic waist (slim, not baggy) so I won't have to fool with belts, zippers, and metal fasteners.

I watch my carryon carefully (and I am a solo traveler) and remember, if someone grabs it that are on the secure side. They can't get out of terminal easily. Having said that, I find that is generally someone from TSA on the the other side and while they may not know who belongs to what... their presence probably would slow someone down. I also have one of those Magellan vests which I jam down and actually tie around my carryon.

Susan

How do you solo travelers keep your carryons from being swiped when you're pulled aside to scan or frisk? Once your carryon and/or basket has passed through the scanner anyone could grab it.

It's a big concern every time I go through. I have a purse in one basket, a CPAP in a second, and my carry-ons by themselves. Meanwhile, I'm going through a scanner, and then waiting to be wanded, and having my shoes (which I wear through the scanner) checked. The place where I am sitting and waiting isn't very close to where my stuff is. Sometimes it's even in a closed off area.

I keep watch as best I can, but do sometimes lose sight of my things, especially when the TSA agent is talking to me and yelling that I should look at him/her.

Well that was my question to the agent, because the process was taking very long. "Is someone watching my stuff?" I asked. (Ha! He said he didn't know, nice jab ...)

When the other guy said that there were cameras everywhere, it made me feel better 'cause I realized that the thief would be apprehended pdq. Thank goodness for Big Brother. I guess. :confused:

They have a good system in the UK. Bags come off the x-ray line on a long-ish conveyor belt behind a plexiglass barrier so that someone can't just rush up and grab a bag as it leaves the machine. (I think the plexiglass barrier length was designed to match the time it takes to walk through the arch and to the claim area, assuming you don't ring the alarm.) If you don't meet your stuff as it comes out from behind the plexiglass barrier, an agent puts it aside and you have to ask for it. Presumably they could ask for your ID to confirm that you are the right person. Very controlled and reassuring for those of us who have to jump hurdles with our metal joints.

Plexiglass. Reminds me. I used to be shunted into one of those locked plexiglass cages, to wait to be frisked. Got trapped in there once with a very large very irate man who was screaming and yelling about missing his flight. I was really scared.

Or just wear your swim suit and a robe. You know, what is commonly worn at the buffet on the ship.

ROFL!!! After being trapped with the big angry bear of a guy, I swore that the next time I flew, I was going to wear my bathing suit under my loose 'n uglies. When you're locked in there, people staaaaaare at you. Figured it would be fun to strip down, if people are going to stare anyway ... :eek:

Husband almost had a coronary when I suggested that.

Why do they feel the need to do that?? To yell at you??? To force you to look at them??? The way they treat people is so demeaning and does nothing to encourage co-operation.

Well, exactly. When I'm treated like that, I find myself feeling (and probably giving off vibes) like a criminal.

Yes, a fat, fair, middle-aged female terrorist with two titanium knees. Gotta watch the likes of me.

The UK gets my "best security" prize. They are unfailingly correct, good humoured, say things like "I'm sorry, ma'am, I need to check you over." And then, when it's all done, they say "Thank you, have a nice trip." At the Brit checkpoints, I will mention my knees and they will say something like "Oh, brill, are they good?" and we sometimes have a short chat. Takes no longer than the guy who made me walk three times before giving me the opportunity to tell him about my metal parts. And it's nicer for everyone. I also can't help but think that they get a better "handle" on who's up to what when they treat people in a civil manner.

BTW, when I am well-treated by security, unless it's brutally busy, I usually ask for a shift supervisor and give them a compliment. It always makes their day, and that makes mine! It's obvious that they rarely get a pleasant comment. And they have a very very hard job to do.

Archived