Single Cabins For Royal Caribbean?

LauraS

I having been cruising solo for the last several years. Each time I pay the rate of two people--why don't I get a double cruise credit? This has been discussed with a RCCL representative who couldn't understand why I was asking the question. I am glad the RCCL is finally waking up and seeing their is another market of travelers who could be very loyal and bring more business to RCCL.

kek17

As Merion Mom stated I found my deals for sailings in Sept. and Oct. I book usually within 2 months of sailing, checking the internet sight that I'm sure I'm not allowed to mention but it begins with a T. Also all balcony cabins were gotten with a senior rate. I tried doing inside cabins for saving money but found I really need a balcony to enjoy my cruises.

I too prefer balcony cabins as I enjoy the peace of watching the ocean and relaxing. I also like to take longer cruises, so I hope that RCCL heeds our cries and helps us to travel more!

I too prefer balcony cabins as I enjoy the peace of watching the ocean and relaxing. I also like to take longer cruises, so I hope that RCCL heeds our cries and helps us to travel more!

I prefer a balcony, too. But I am single and often travel alone. So far, the only time I cruise is when I go with my daughter. However, she is now a young adult and those family vacations are largely a thing of the past.

If I could cruise in an inside cabin without the 100% single supplement, I would do it. But the difference between that and 100% single supplement for a balcony would probably mean the difference between cruising and not cruising.

I think that is the greatest idea. My husband and I loved RCCI

but now I have to travel alone and the extra cost for singles is

just too out of my price range for one person.

Go to it RCCI !!!!! ..... and I hope HAL will get the message, too.

I would LOVE it if Royal Caribbean added single cabins to its ships. It would make me much more likely to book on RC than anywhere else. I expect to be mostly travelling alone, and I don't mind sharing, but you never know what you're gonna get. :eek:

I could cruise more if more lines had single rooms. Paying fare for two is hard on a retirement budget.

Totally agree with you there, especially when one retires before one is eligible for SS!

I've done the singles share thing and I had great roommates at Club Med, but an awful one on Carnival with bunk beds.

I'd do it again if it was with someone i'd gotten to know some before hand. :confused:

Hurry RCCL! I need a cruise, it's been too long!!:eek:

I recently switched from Princess to RCCL because I think the service and cabins are better. However, as a single I am always stuck with the double charge. I would definitely stay with RCCL if they made single cabins available.:)

Amen to that!!!;)

We are a couple that often travel with a single cousin. I am sure that the 3 of us would cruise more if there was a single room available for Sis.

Often a single would love to join a group that is cruising but does not want to share a room, be a third wheel or room with a stranger pulled from who knows where. It makes a difference to us in that we have to "live" with the roommate of Sis too -- she goes on all of our excursions, eats dinner with us etc. So much nicer if there were single rooms -- and at per person fares or somewhere near that. Sis has the money to have a suite if she wants but she is too "thrifty spelled cheap" to pay 2 times for the balcony or suite.

I would definitely be interested in RC offers these cabins. As a single woman who has travelled alone on the last 2 cruises, I've wound up paying double for both cruises as there was no provision for single travellers on the ships I was on. It would be nice if all ships offered these cabins, no matter what the cruise line.

Now that one of the mainstream cruiselines offers single cabins and it's been mostly well recieved, I believe the other mainstream cruiselines will follow .

Thank you NCL!

I've always cruised with married couples so that meant I always had to get a cabin on my own, and since i like a private balcony that meant 200% (full cabin) payment. I would love to see more single rate cabins on cruise ships especially outside and balcony ones.

Cheryl -

After my mom passed away I rebooked the Explorer for 2/6 as a solo and moved from a balcony to an inside cabin. Then they put everything on sale and I ended up in a high category cabin on deck 10 right by the aft elevators at 100% for a solo. My final fare incl tax and ins was less than the deposit I had made last year! I think the same offer was probably going on for your 2/27 cruise.

I think it's worth checking any RCL cruise for single rates - there may be more single offers now that they have announced that they are going to try to attract solo cruisers business.

Carol.

I would cruise a lot more if single accommodations were available. With the single cabins on NCL;s Epic, they also had a single traveller gathering every evening with snacks and 2 for 1 drinks. :p I wonder if Carnival Cruise Line is making any changes. :eek:

I hope all cruise lines wise up and start opening up single cabins. I would cruise a lot more if I didn't have to pay the single supplement. Now I look at the economics of cruising by paying for two instead of one measured against a Mexican all inclusive, which ever is less expensive gets my money.

Cheryl -

After my mom passed away I rebooked the Explorer for 2/6 as a solo and moved from a balcony to an inside cabin. Then they put everything on sale and I ended up in a high category cabin on deck 10 right by the aft elevators at 100% for a solo. My final fare incl tax and ins was less than the deposit I had made last year! I think the same offer was probably going on for your 2/27 cruise.

I think it's worth checking any RCL cruise for single rates - there may be more single offers now that they have announced that they are going to try to attract solo cruisers business.

Carol.

Carol, I am so sorry, I didn't know your Mom had passed away. Please accept my condolences. She was such a sweet lady and I know you must miss her. I know how much I miss my Mom.

Unfortunately we had to cancel our Feb. 27th cruise as Karen had a wedding she didn't want to miss and my house still hasn't sold.

So are you still in an inside cabin or did you get to have a balcony again? I don't think I could cruise in anything but a balcony any more. Keep in touch and let me know when you need a cruise buddy.

Cheryl

I'm glad to see that RCCL is thinking of offering something for the solo traveler. As a senior widower, I enjoy cruise travel, and have taken advantage of the fact that I live in Florida to take lots of cruises. Over the years I have tended to travel with Carnival and currently have over 30 cruises with them. However, recently they have revised their single supplement policy, and in virtually all cases it is now 200%. That has put them out of reach and I think they have seen the last of me unless they reconsider their policy. NCL has introduced "studio" cabins, which have two bunks but are being advertised to the single market, but if you look carefully are really not such a bargin. It is true that the price per person is the same whether one or two occupy the cabin, but the price per person is substantially higher than the per person (double occupancy) price for a standard inside cabin. In effect you are paying a 140%-170% premium for the smaller studio cabin. Of course if you try to book the standard inside cabin for just one you pay 200% - can't win!

I understand that the fare paid is only a portion of the income the cruise line receives, and they consider themselves lucky if they break even on the fares alone (the real money is the booze, gambling, photos, excursions, and gift shops), and two people are twice the chance to make ends meet. That's why I never complained when I was charged 140% - 150% single supplement.

If the entire industry were to close ranks and institute a strict 200% policy, I suppose I would have to make a choice to either pay it, or give up cruiseing. Until then I will continue to cruise on ships which offer some relief and/or severely reduce the number of cruises I take. If RCCL moves in this direction, they will get my business!

I would love to see RCI try this concept out. Also glad that it will be something looked at across all classes of ships, not just the older ones. I have found good solo rates on RC, but as one post stated "you have to look hard."

Correct me if i'm wrong but all the epic's solos are inside cabins and some insides w/windows (like RC's promenade cabins)

Last cruise I took a Promenade cabin w the higher supplement. Probably will do so in the future. However next 2 cruises will not be solo ones. Looking forward to Oasis this summer (05-2011) instead of the 2 planned cruises for 2011. Going to edit sig now.

Archived