Was it just my imagination? Differing long distance rates on different ships?

Tom-n-Cheryl

When we sailed on the Destiny (9/6/10) I was pleasantly shocked to see the info card in our cabin regarding the new rate for calls (to the U.S.) for $1.99/minute. I thought, WOW - it is finally down to a somewhat reasonable level (competitive with cell phone rates).

Upon looking up the info on the Dream last week, I discovered the rate there was the one I was previously familiar with: $6.99/minute.

I called someone at the Guest Relations desk who told me that it was, and has been for years, $6.99 across the entire fleet. I told her that I was on the Destiny a couple months ago and it was $1.99. She assured me that I was mistaken...

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Am I mistaken? Was it a trial run on some ships, and I missed the memo (thread on Cruise Critic)? !!

Thanks,

Tom

Its some pilot Mach said. We had $0.99 on Ecstasy and it was either $1.99 or $2.99 on Conquest. They are experimenting with the rates I guess to see at what rates they get more business?

Anyway .. for whatever reason we can guess, they are experimenting with the rates for sure.

Thanks for the info - at least I know that I'm not going crazy!

Those different rates are all across the board, and are bound to cause questions from frequent cruisers (especially when they experienced a lower rate, then it went away on a different ship).

As is usually the case, not all parts of Carnival have been made aware of this pilot program - explaining why Guest Relations on the Dream was basically telling me I was wrong...

At least they are not experimenting with HIGHER rates! :D

Tom

On the Elation last week, the rates were $6.99. I have a Blackberry with Sprint service, and it was $1.69 a minute in Cozumel, and $2.69 a minute in Calica. The texts were .25 cents a text making, and .15 cents receiving, so I think until I see the $.99 and $1.99 a minute, I'll stick with my cell........ for now..........:):)

When we sailed on the Destiny (9/6/10) I was pleasantly shocked to see the info card in our cabin regarding the new rate for calls (to the U.S.) for $1.99/minute. I thought, WOW - it is finally down to a somewhat reasonable level (competitive with cell phone rates).

Upon looking up the info on the Dream last week, I discovered the rate there was the one I was previously familiar with: $6.99/minute.

I called someone at the Guest Relations desk who told me that it was, and has been for years, $6.99 across the entire fleet. I told her that I was on the Destiny a couple months ago and it was $1.99. She assured me that I was mistaken...

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Am I mistaken? Was it a trial run on some ships, and I missed the memo (thread on Cruise Critic)? !!

Thanks,

Tom

You're right, Tom. Calls were $2.99/min on the Conquest. They're trying differing price points to see what the market will bear.

:)

Well.. with one of the "testing rates" at $.99/minute, my guess is that they still profit at that level.

PERHAPS it is not ALL about $... there is a chance that if they price it too low (and still make a $) that the usage would be high enough to tax their system resulting in poor quality service.

Tom

Well.. with one of the "testing rates" at $.99/minute, my guess is that they still profit at that level.

PERHAPS it is not ALL about $... there is a chance that if they price it too low (and still make a $) that the usage would be high enough to tax their system resulting in poor quality service.

Tom

On Conquest the purser's desk said they only have like 5 outside lines you can reach by calling from your cabin .. this was during Ike when no one could get a call out from their cabin.

Who knows if they make up a answer or were truthfull.

I used the room phone on the Destiny at the end of October this year for $.99 a minute. It was terrific to call home a couple of times, but I still didn't yack a long time. I am going out on the Liberty in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know the current in-room phone charge for Liberty? I am hoping it might also be $.99.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add that on the Miracle's 11/27 sailing, that the Fun Times listed 2.99 some nights and 6.99 on others. Not sure if it was just old information that hadn't been updated by the Cruise Director, or if they really were different rates those evenings.

Just wanted to add that on the Miracle's 11/27 sailing, that the Fun Times listed 2.99 some nights and 6.99 on others. Not sure if it was just old information that hadn't been updated by the Cruise Director, or if they really were different rates those evenings.

That's interesting! I wonder which rate was correct, as I can't picture them changing the rates back and forth!!

Tom

Archived