QM2 Caribbean: change to itinerary

Salacia

Last night, passengers on board QM2 received a letter from Captain Wright inserted in the Daily Programme stating that the port call at Grand Turk has been cancelled because the depth is insufficient for the QM2 to dock there. Instead, QM2 will dock at Dominica on Dec. 4th.

I checked at the Pursar's Desk and was told that subsequent voyages will also call at Dominica instead of Grand Turk, so you might want to adjust your plans accordingly.

Regards,

Salacia

Thanks for the update, Salacia. I quoted it on the roll call for the January 3-10, 2011, QM2 cruise that I started on another forum. And it was great to read that you and your luggage are traveling together. Continued Bon Voyage!

Either they,

A - Forgot to dredge.

B - The latest storm did some damage.

C - Under-estimated the dock length.

But still a shame you're not going there. I recall last week, they wound up anchoring there. Don't see why they can't do the same this time. :confused:

Trust me Salacia, missing Grand Turk is no loss!! Unless of course you enjoy watching/ participating in chug-a-lug contests at Margaritaville or squeezed on the beach in lounge chairs about 2 inches apart....HUNDREDS of them!!

Without a doubt the least enjoyable Caribbean "port" I've ever been to and we've been to many of them. I'd not get off the ship if we called there again.

It's a "manufactured" port....the typical shops and Margaritaville...you are very much a captive audience.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

2011...North to Alaska!! A wilderness tour and cruise....sorry Cunard.

I know that Grand Turk is a "manufactured" port stop, but we enjoyed it nonetheless. The QM2 itinerary does not include a stop at a private island, but docking in Grand Turk is close to that kind of easy beach day. We stopped there while on the Caribbean Princess; we docked and walked to the beach and swimming pool. There are other ports where you have to take a taxi to the beach or take a tour, however, it's nice to have an "easy" day of fun in the sun.

I just called Cunard (Sunday, November 28) about the previously posted information regarding a stop in Dominica instead of Grand Turk. The Cunard representative that I spoke with was not aware that a change had been made on a current Caribbean sailing, nor was he aware of any itinerary change for future sailings. He said that they usually get notified regarding such changes, but perhaps cruisecritic is the place to go to find out the most up-to-date information.

If anyone finds out anything further regarding a change from Grand Turk to Dominica, please post it on these boards. We will be sailing on the QM2, Caribbean itinerary, in the net few months. Thank you.

Either they,

A - Forgot to dredge.

But still a shame you're not going there. I recall last week, they wound up anchoring there. Don't see why they can't do the same this time. :confused:

Just arrived home from the QM2 yesterday and visited GT on 11/24. The QM2 requires a depth of 33' and 32' of water was available at the pier. It was a 1 mile tender ride to the pier which took about 20mins due to strong winds. Had a nice day at GT.

I know that Grand Turk is a "manufactured" port stop, but we enjoyed it nonetheless. The QM2 itinerary does not include a stop at a private island, but docking in Grand Turk is close to that kind of easy beach day. We stopped there while on the Caribbean Princess; we docked and walked to the beach and swimming pool. There are other ports where you have to take a taxi to the beach or take a tour, however, it's nice to have an "easy" day of fun in the sun.

I just called Cunard (Sunday, November 28) about the previously posted information regarding a stop in Dominica instead of Grand Turk. The Cunard representative that I spoke with was not aware that a change had been made on a current Caribbean sailing, nor was he aware of any itinerary change for future sailings. He said that they usually get notified regarding such changes, but perhaps cruisecritic is the place to go to find out the most up-to-date information.

If anyone finds out anything further regarding a change from Grand Turk to Dominica, please post it on these boards. We will be sailing on the QM2, Caribbean itinerary, in the net few months. Thank you.

Also be advised that the QM2 will also Anchor in Grenada. Cunard had made an error

in stating that it would be docked !!!!

Are they offering a Whale Watching excursion for Dominica?

I will miss the excellent birdwatching in Grand Turk if Dominica

remains on the December itineraries, but could console myself

with a whale tour.

Thanks to those on board for any updates!

I have never been to Grand Turk, so I do not know what is being missed. However, my parents lived on Dominica for many years, and it is the most beautiful place. There is so much to see and do in terms of natural phenomena, and I am not sure what can be done in a day on a tour, but it is well worth a visit. Do not expect lovely beaches however, there is a lot of fine black sand on most of the beaches, which makes them very hot to walk on! Enjoy your day there!:)

Either they,

A - Forgot to dredge.

Hi Vic. I noticed last week on the webcam that QM2 wasn't docked at Grand Turk, but used tenders. The woman I spoke to at the Pursar's Desk yesterday said the tender had a rough time of it last week, and in the interest of passenger's safety, decided not to try it again.

Bit of a mystery to me that Cunard didn't know they wouldn't be able to dock at Grand Turk, and even more of a mystery as to why they didn't send any notice to future passengers that the itinerary had been changed after the difficulties encountered last week.

Thanks everyone for suggestions regarding Dominica. Never been there, and since I didn't know we'd be docking there, I did no research about the place.

Anyway, the power is working and the ship's water is clear - so I guess I can't complain :)

Regards,

Salacia

Cunard had made an error in stating that it would be docked !!!!

That's an error that Cunard seems to make a lot when they're dealing with Caribbean posts! The last time I was down there half the islands changed from docking to being an anchor port :(

Just arrived home from the QM2 yesterday and visited GT on 11/24. The QM2 requires a depth of 33' and 32' of water was available at the pier. It was a 1 mile tender ride to the pier which took about 20mins due to strong winds. Had a nice day at GT.

When we recently called at GT & Sliver spirit docked same morning, she needs 7m

as GT has the third best coral reef wouldn't think QM2 would want to plough through that!!

We enjoyed Grand Turk even the new shopping/water park

considering the amount of money that has been pumped in to the other Islands would have expected smarter places.

On Grenada a lot of the fruit grown just falls to the ground for instance just needs organising

Here is a factual point Dominica is 671NM (nautical miles) from Grand Turk, that is about one full day steaming time, how do they get there if it the same day replacement..

The distance from Grand Turk to Dominica is irrelevant. The port prior to Dominica is Barbados, which is only around 200 miles...So a sea day prior to Dominica is sort of a waste. The issue would be getting back to NYC from Dominica in two sea days. EM

Hi Vic. I noticed last week on the webcam that QM2 wasn't docked at Grand Turk, but used tenders. The woman I spoke to at the Pursar's Desk yesterday said the tender had a rough time of it last week, and in the interest of passenger's safety, decided not to try it again.

Bit of a mystery to me that Cunard didn't know they wouldn't be able to dock at Grand Turk, and even more of a mystery as to why they didn't send any notice to future passengers that the itinerary had been changed after the difficulties encountered last week.

Thanks everyone for suggestions regarding Dominica. Never been there, and since I didn't know we'd be docking there, I did no research about the place.

Anyway, the power is working and the ship's water is clear - so I guess I can't complain :)

Regards,

Salacia

I have been to both Grand Turk and to Dominica. I can assure you that what was said about Grand Turk by Patwell is true. There is NOTHING worth getting off the ship for at Grand Turk unless you want to spend a fortune at Margaritaville on drinks, food and private cabanas that are not even close to the beach. I am quite surprised that Cunard even had Grand Turk on their itinerary unless the dock fees are really, really cheap.

And as Safarigal said Dominica is very beautiful and well worth a visit.

Are they offering a Whale Watching excursion for Dominica?

I will miss the excellent birdwatching in Grand Turk if Dominica

remains on the December itineraries, but could console myself

with a whale tour.

Thanks to those on board for any updates!

Yes, "Whale & Dolphin Safai" is being offered on most recent Dominica tour info. Cost $81 per adult.

Perhaps the order of ports will be changed? Doesn't really matter to me when we get to what. I trust Cunard will know what they're doing......tongue firmly implanted in cheek.....

Yes, schedule changed. Dominica on 12/4. Dress code also changed...one less semi-formal, one more casual.

The distance from Grand Turk to Dominica is irrelevant. The port prior to Dominica is Barbados, which is only around 200 miles...So a sea day prior to Dominica is sort of a waste. The issue would be getting back to NYC from Dominica in two sea days. EM

Dominica port on 12/4. Three sea days back to NY, docking in Red Hook on 12/8.

Just got off the QM2 Carib. sailing to Grand Turk. We did tender to the port. Seas were very rough, and we were happy that we were able to tender to port. The crew and officers were a bit worried that day.

G.T. is a port of call because Carnival owns the port and it is a money maker to dock there. However, the new pier is too small for the QM2. Just by a few feet!

We never go to Margaritaville. We always go down the beach and hang at Jack's Shack and their beach. We had a great time there last week. Met some wonderful people.

Hopefully, Carnival will dredge their pier so the QM2 will be able to dock there.

On our 11/16/10 11 day sailing, our dress code changed as well. One less semi-formal and one more casual night. Men still have to wear a jacket, tie or no tie, what's the difference!

We were in Grand Turk on Eurodam last Oct. and we docked there in spite of the size of the ship. We were supposed to go back in a few days (Dec 8 cruise on QM2). Frankly GT was not spectacular but we do not take a cruise to see the ports in the Caribbean:D.

Our destination is Queen Mary 2.

Archived