Baggage fees?

bigbass

I am pretty sure Delta does NOT take cash at the counter or curb-side check-in for the baggage fees.

I usually check in at home, where I can pay the baggage fees before I get to the airport. It actually is $2 per bag LESS to do it this way!

If that is not possible, I use the automated ticket/check in machines at the airports when they are available.

To pay the baggage fees, the screen says to insert the same card used to pay for the tickets.

An option to pay cash to the attendant is not available on those.

If you can't do either of those, you should bring along a credit or debit card just to be sure! A last option if credit cards are not available would be to buy a Prepaid Visa, load it with some cash, and use that (you can get them at most stores - even Walmart, where they are only $3!)

GOOD LUCK!

:)

Wow its getting to the point that cash is a burden now! I try to do as much with cash as I can. For me its much easier because I can't over spend. When its gone its gone! I guess I will have to use my rarely used debit card.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Be aware of "holds" on debit cards. Merchants do this to ensure you aren't overdrawn. For example, a gas station may put a $100 hold and a hotel $500. Once payment of the actual amount comes through, the hold is removed in 1-3 days. But some merchants and banks take their time and in rare cases it can be weeks. In the meantime that amount of your own money is unavailable to you!

Also, it's nigh impossible to reserve travel without a credit or debit card to guarantee the reservation. A hold to cover the first night's deposit is put on debit cards immediately, rendering that sum inaccessible to you until you check out. (You can pay cash in lieu of having the amount on your debit or credit card). Note that holds are not put on CC's.

Like it or not, the US retail economy is quickly becoming cashless. My local supermarket and Target don't even require a signature for my credit card purchases...it's actually quicker to pay by CC than cash!

If you have a Delta skymiles American Express card there is no charge for the first bag. They were running a special recently that gave you lots of miles and no fee for the first year. That may still be going on.

Use the card once and then cancel it when the first year is over. Leave it at home [unless you are flying] if it is a temptation to overspend and pay it off each month for sure.

Could be. I do know that Delta is completely cash-less on board.

Actually, DL is schizo. On domestic mainline, it is completely cashless - plastic only. However, over at DL Connection, it's cash only (or at least on the RJs I've recently been on). And at mainline international, they take both dollars and Euros.

In other words....be prepared for all methods of payment. (The best option in coach is, of course, to have some free drink coupons!!)

Actually, DL is schizo. On domestic mainline, it is completely cashless - plastic only. However, over at DL Connection, it's cash only (or at least on the RJs I've recently been on). And at mainline international, they take both dollars and Euros.

In other words....be prepared for all methods of payment. (The best option in coach is, of course, to have some free drink coupons!!)

I guess I didn't notice a difference on Delta Connection, because most of the time my CHS-ATL flights are so short they don't do a beverage service anyway, so they don't make any announcements regarding method of payment.

Archived