Latitude Club Perks??? Really?

Georgia Buckeye

Thanks for the quick reply! You mention how plenty of people are platinum - I was just thinking on our last cruise, how the latitude party was extremely crowded - more so than previous cruises. I think they said there were about 600 latitude members on board. I can only imagine that, in another few years, this number will increase further. On that cruise, the non-latitudes embarkation line was much shorter than the latitudes line!

Perhaps adding a Plutonium tier - for 30+ cruises, or something like that, would be useful as more and more folks reach Plat. level! The extra perk could be a glow in the dark NCL t-shirt!

Happy sails!!

My Jade med cruise last year had over 50 platinum people. They "had" to add times for the behind the scenes tour (which I've been on enough times :) ).

But, I am game to your T Shirt idea!!!!!!

I look at it as getting a little more "bang for the buck". I like NCL's prices and service, and the Lattitudes thing is the icing on the cake for me. We book cheap cabins, and when you look at the free laundry, two meals for two at LeBistro with wine, Behind the scenes tour, and the parties, you can hang a dollar value on that.

Pardon the partial hijack, but I think you answered a question above... If two plat. members are in the same cabin, do you each get a dinner for two at LeBistro, or is it one dinner per cabin?

Thanks!!

I agree that for the most part, you don't notice a difference in perqs from the bronze level through the silver level. When they put "Gold" on your ship card, they DO look at that a little differently. When you DO go Platinum the Platinum benefits are so nice.

And Yes, to answer your question Lyman, two Platinum members sailing together get two free dinners. Also, the cruise consultant on the Epic balked at this and tell me I couldn't do it any more, but if you don't care for Le Bistro, ask the latitudes rep on board if you can use it for any restaurant on board. We like to use it at the Italian Place or the Tex Mex.... Bistro isn't our favorite and I'd Be SOO happy if they changed the Bistro on the Jewel Class ships to Epic's Moderno.... As long as the cover charge is equal or less than Bistro.

My motto on ships is "ASK for what you want. The WORST they can say is 'No.'" If you ask for something and they say yes, you have it in your hands. If the answer is no, you're no worse than you were before. If you don't ask, you're out either way.

The bottom line is: When you get to Platinum, IMHO, the Perqs are worth the wait.

By the way, in case anyone is reading this thinking "why does he keep typing 'perqs' instead of 'perks?'" The term "Perq" is short for "Perquisite," which is defined as an incidental payment, benefit, privilege, or advantage over and above regular benefits. This is what you do with an English Lit education.

And I thank You:

JWK: "Changes is Latitudes, Changes is Attitudes nothing remains quite the same.... with all of our running and all of our gunning if we couldn't laugh we would all go insane....if we weren't all crazy we would go insane"

line (I know there were probably more Latitudes members than first time passengers). When we got on board we discovered that the “deals” we got (added internet minutes, etc.) were available to everyone on their specials- so what is the big deal?

QUOTE]

This isn't true. All you have to do, is tell the attendent that you are latitude and you will get added minutes. You have to ask. (at least I have always had to do so, but also, ALWAYS get the bonus)

Sorry- at least not on the Star last March I specifically asked and was told I could use the "special" or the Latitudes bonus but not both. I said that sort of makes the club bonus meaningless and I got a shrug and a sorry.- You're probably prettier than I am :)

Georgia Buckeye (you must be from Ohio) - You said you were going on the Sun this weekend. Maybe this info will help:

We just got off the Sun and wanted to mention the check-in at Port Canaveral. There is no special line for Latitude members at the first (outside) check-in. But once you're upstairs, tell the attendant you're Latitude and you may not have to sit in the waiting area with everyone else. When we checked in on 11/20 around 1 p.m., the upstairs waiting area was packed with a couple hundred people, sitting in rows waiting to be called by row. When we mentioned to the attendant we were Latitude members, she put us in a very short line to be checked in and get our key cards. There was no sign telling you this, at least we didn't see one.

We've been on 4 NCL cruises and were upgraded from inside to outside (porthole) cabin. Whether it had anything to do with our Latitude level, I have no idea. No one can explain the "upgrade fairy".

Brigitte

We just completed our 18th or 19th cruise on NCL and will be returning to Miami in two weeks for a Christmas cruise on the Epic.

There were no latitude lines when we checked in on our last cruise on the Pearl but there were no long lines so it wasn't a big deal. We sat down for just about one minute before we were motioned on board.

We did get the two dinners at LeBistro, some extra minutes on the internet, a cocktail party with a few of the ship's officers and we were supposed to get free laundry service but we put our laundry out too late and were charged the special price but did not get it free.

Being platinum on NCL does not seem as special now as it did when we were struggling to reach that status. NCL has slowly taken away some of the goodies, like the canapes in your room, breakfast and lunch in Cagney's, etc...

It just doesn't seem as special as it once did.

However, I was told that all NCL ships will be adding new restaurants, including a Moderno, when they go into dry dock.

It sounds like there are, in fact, some nice little touches once you have the appropriate number of cruises. The whole genesis of my original posting was the "pretend" perks for those of us with just a few cruises on the line. Not at all suggesting that we deserve anything at all-

Sorry- at least not on the Star last March I specifically asked and was told I could use the "special" or the Latitudes bonus but not both. I said that sort of makes the club bonus meaningless and I got a shrug and a sorry.- You're probably prettier than I am :)

I experienced the same thing on the Sun last month. They had a 10 minute add-on special for a package and, if I recall, a 10 minute latitudes bonus. I asked about both of these specials and was told you can't get both, so we got only 10 minutes added onto the package minutes. Of course, I couldn't find anything that said that it was one or the other, but it wasn't worth the battle over it, especially on the first day of a cruise!

Pardon the partial hijack, but I think you answered a question above... If two plat. members are in the same cabin, do you each get a dinner for two at LeBistro, or is it one dinner per cabin?

Thanks!!

My husband has been Platinum for several cruises and I finally caught up to him (don't ask) -- so the answer is "yes" we both received the complimentary dinner for two at Le Bistro.

We just completed our 18th or 19th cruise on NCL and will be returning to Miami in two weeks for a Christmas cruise on the Epic.

There were no latitude lines when we checked in on our last cruise on the Pearl but there were no long lines so it wasn't a big deal. We sat down for just about one minute before we were motioned on board.

We did get the two dinners at LeBistro, some extra minutes on the internet, a cocktail party with a few of the ship's officers and we were supposed to get free laundry service but we put our laundry out too late and were charged the special price but did not get it free.

Being platinum on NCL does not seem as special now as it did when we were struggling to reach that status. NCL has slowly taken away some of the goodies, like the canapes in your room, breakfast and lunch in Cagney's, etc...

It just doesn't seem as special as it once did.

However, I was told that all NCL ships will be adding new restaurants, including a Moderno, when they go into dry dock.

Unless you are in a Suite on Epic, you will not receive the VIP perks such as the Breakfast and Lunch at Cagney's because on the Epic it's up in the Epic Club--part of the Courtyard complex.

However, on the other ships, I have some Platinum friends who talk to the Latitudes Rep ("your friendly future cruise consultant":rolleyes:), or the HD. They let them know they Platinum Lats. members and they are usually "in."

As for the crumpets and whatnot, you should still be getting them. If you're not, ask. This is said over and over on these boards.

If you're not happy about something, ask. The worst they can say is no.

I hope this is helpful.

Unless you are in a Suite on Epic, you will not receive the VIP perks such as the Breakfast and Lunch at Cagney's because on the Epic it's up in the Epic Club--part of the Courtyard complex.

However, on the other ships, I have some Platinum friends who talk to the Latitudes Rep ("your friendly future cruise consultant":rolleyes:), or the HD. They let them know they Platinum Lats. members and they are usually "in."

As for the crumpets and whatnot, you should still be getting them. If you're not, ask. This is said over and over on these boards.

If you're not happy about something, ask. The worst they can say is no.

I hope this is helpful.

There's no way the Latitudes rep can make that decision. It's up to the Hotel Director, and with a growing number of Platinum members on most sailings, it's extremely unlikely just having Platinum status will get you into Cagney's. Now if the HD knows you from previous cruises you have a chance, but otherwise it's unrealistic to say they are "usually in."

However, if you have arranged the meet and greet for your cruise you just might get to eat in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch or at least that is what happened on our cruise.

The person who arranged the meet and greet and was on their second NCL cruise got to eat in Cagney's while platinum members were eating in the main dining room.

I did ask the conceirge on boarding about being able to eat in Cagney's and I was told it was not possible, however, later in the cruise, I was told I could eat one breakfast there, which we did on disembarkation day.

My wife and I were terribly disappointed because it just wasn't as good as the last time we ate there.

• 2 years later...

Seems like these are the same complaints years later. Being a Latitudes Member myself and Travel Agent, I have issues with the program and hear the complaints from my clients too. The average cruiser is from medium income, I have the few high end clients and some budget. Everyone is different about wanting perks for being a repeat or loyal customer. Stores and credit card companies have loyalty programs with perks and customers expect for them to follow through with their offers.

I'm asked for perks and discounts all of the time! I can not afford to give what a cruise line can offer, they are making the big bucks.

If NCL says that there's a special check-in for Latitudes, then those members should get it and not have to ask. I've been on some NCL cruises where I did not see any signage for Latitudes but I did on others. Maybe it depends on the departure port. :confused:

The cruises booked with NCL over the past 2 - 3 years have had issues with the Latitudes program. Either folks complained they weren't given any of the promised perks or in my reservation, their Latitudes numbers were wrong or not there at all. Actually, today I'll be calling to fix three different client's Latitude numbers so they get the proper credit for their cruise.

As the OP of this thread pointed out, if there's a program and offers for cruisers to be loyal, then follow through so they stay loyal and feel special. There are plenty of other cruise lines and ships to choose from. ;)

I totally disagree with you. None of the programs offer that much until you reach close to the top and why should they. It is the same with the airlines. It is free, anything is better than nothing.

NCL: latitude party with door prizes from your second cruise. Nothing much else except an occassional discount or upgrade.

Princess: a massive party, with not much of anything else, no door prizes

Celebrity: a cocktal party (you can order special drinks if you know this, but they do, like NCL and try to push rum punch down your throat) the capt might be there and the coordinator: that is it.

So please advise which line offers that much more than another? I don't expect anything just cause I cruised a line one or two times.

Nita

I think they only offer these programs because it is expected, sort of like frequent flier miles - tried to cash them in lately?

Enjoy a bit of a discount when booking and anything else is a plus.

Used to love the coupon books they issued on other lines, I would leave them in the safe for the next cruisers to use.

Platinum is after 14 cruises. I am surprised they didn't have a party for silver and above. That is unusual. I guess I have been lucky bacause they have had the party on all of my cruises.

Not to quibble (especially since I just made Silver...) but its actually 10.8 ruined/76 days and you can get double points for latitude offers, booking 9 monts in advancement etc. it's theoretically possible ( thug unlikely for most of us) to get platinum after 5 or 6 cruises with the right planning.

Not to quibble (especially since I just made Silver...) but its actually 10.8 ruined/76 days and you can get double points for latitude offers, booking 9 monts in advancement etc. it's theoretically possible ( thug unlikely for most of us) to get platinum after 5 or 6 cruises with the right planning.

You quoted a post that is over two years old, the program has changed to much looser since then.

I suggest these thoughts get read by NCL & can make a difference so discussions like this can help! i agree with much that has been written and haven't found that asking helps much. My observation that hopefully one day NCL will grasp that a perk is in the eye of the beholder. So if you give me dinner at La Bistro but I don't like La Bistro its not a perk. If I have been on the Pearl 6 times how many behind the scenes tours can I really enjoy? I think NCL hit a homerun with Laundry and could simply improve its Perks by changing La Bistro to a choice at a couple different restaurants and enhancing the behind the scene tour to be exchanged with something else. Lastly, we find it strange that NCL thinks its a perk when it gives us a bottle of wine upon boarding which we won't drink but when as suggested we "ask" (often on different ships) to exchange it for a wine we would drink (even offering to pay an upcharge) the answer is no. How is this gift of wine a perk or a feel good moment for NCL or the customer? My hope that those at NCL who make up these programs and have the power to change them read these Boards and understand what is being wrote.

I suggest these thoughts get read by NCL & can make a difference so discussions like this can help! i agree with much that has been written and haven't found that asking helps much. My observation that hopefully one day NCL will grasp that a perk is in the eye of the beholder. So if you give me dinner at La Bistro but I don't like La Bistro its not a perk. If I have been on the Pearl 6 times how many behind the scenes tours can I really enjoy? I think NCL hit a homerun with Laundry and could simply improve its Perks by changing La Bistro to a choice at a couple different restaurants and enhancing the behind the scene tour to be exchanged with something else. Lastly, we find it strange that NCL thinks its a perk when it gives us a bottle of wine upon boarding which we won't drink but when as suggested we "ask" (often on different ships) to exchange it for a wine we would drink (even offering to pay an upcharge) the answer is no. How is this gift of wine a perk or a feel good moment for NCL or the customer? My hope that those at NCL who make up these programs and have the power to change them read these Boards and understand what is being wrote.

It varies from ship to ship, but there are numerous reports of people being able to exchange the complimentary dinner at Le Bistro for dinner in a different specialty restaurant. In fact a thread posted today mentions being able to exchange the dinner for another restaurant: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1780388

The same is true for exchanging the wine...if you search you'll find success stories.

I view them perks, not entitlements, so the fact that the behind the scenes tour is something that I no longer have any interest in taking doesn't lead me to expect NCL to substitute something else.

While the numbers posted might be wrong, I will say it IS more than possible to get Platinum in 3-5 cruises with NCL.

We have our first scheduled with NCL right now. 11 day Sun. For this cruise we are getting 11 points for the days of the cruise, 11 points for booking a suite, and 11 points for booking 9 months out. That is 33 points putting us at mid-silver after our first cruise.

If we like the Sun and NCL, I plan on booking the 10 day Sun cruise when I can. I was torn on the ports southern is where we haven't been yet anyways. So... booking the 2nd cruise for 10 days would be, 10 points for days, 10 points for Suite (cause I can't see wanting to go back!), 10 points for 9+ months, and 10 points if I can get a Latitudes offer. That would be 40 points.

So.. after 2 cruises, that would give us 73, yes 73!!! Points! That is 3 days away from being Plat. After 2 cruises.

Say we don't get the Latitudes offer on the 2nd cruise, so that would be 63, add 1 more 7 day cruise booked 9+ months in advanced and there is Platinum.

This isn't why I am planning cruises, but still it can be a lot easier to get Plat than a lot of people think! If you are cruises with a line just because you get something with them, then you are cruises for the wrong reason. My mother is Plat on NCL and Princess. She loves the free internet on Princess, but that didn't stop her from just booking a last min Epic over Thanksgiving!

It varies from ship to ship, but there are numerous reports of people being able to exchange the complimentary dinner at Le Bistro for dinner in a different specialty restaurant. In fact a thread posted today mentions being able to exchange the dinner for another restaurant: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1780388

The same is true for exchanging the wine...if you search you'll find success stories.

I view them perks, not entitlements, so the fact that the behind the scenes tour is something that I no longer have any interest in taking doesn't lead me to expect NCL to substitute something else.

IIRC, our dining perq certificate on the Jewel stated something like it could be used in Mama's or Chin Chin. We also swapped our sparkling wine for the house wine with no problem.

While the numbers posted might be wrong, I will say it IS more than possible to get Platinum in 3-5 cruises with NCL.

As stated already couple of times, most of the messages in this thread are over two years ago and the Latitudes program has changed significantly since then. :)

Archived