Just Back from the Solstice!

katiebeth

Well.....I did have high expectations, not going to lie. They said there were 400 kids onboard and 70 in my 8 year olds group.

Amy: we went on the Navigator over Thanksgiving. I sailed on Celebrity "before child" and decided to go on RCCL this time based on the kids program. I heard there were over 800 kids on our cruise!! My son was in the 6-8 group and it didn't seem crowded...he really enjoyed himself. I personally didn't enjoy the cruise as much this time as I have others (have sailed Disney, HAL, Princess, NCL, Carnival)...

We have to sail during school breaks and are considering either Solstice/Eclipse over spring break. I would love to cruise Celebrity again. How did your son enjoy his kid's group? With 3 days at sea was it enough to keep him busy and happy? My sister just came back from Solstice and had a good time, although she liked HAL better.

I am going back and forth between Ruby Princess also! Just trying to do a step up from RCCL and still meet the needs of a 7 year old boy. Mom and Dad enjoy "food" and that is our biggest consideration.

Amy: we went on the Navigator over Thanksgiving. I sailed on Celebrity "before child" and decided to go on RCCL this time based on the kids program. I heard there were over 800 kids on our cruise!! My son was in the 6-8 group and it didn't seem crowded...he really enjoyed himself. I personally didn't enjoy the cruise as much this time as I have others (have sailed Disney, HAL, Princess, NCL, Carnival)...

We have to sail during school breaks and are considering either Solstice/Eclipse over spring break. I would love to cruise Celebrity again. How did your son enjoy his kid's group? With 3 days at sea was it enough to keep him busy and happy? My sister just came back from Solstice and had a good time, although she liked HAL better.

I am going back and forth between Ruby Princess also! Just trying to do a step up from RCCL and still meet the needs of a 7 year old boy. Mom and Dad enjoy "food" and that is our biggest consideration.

Sorry... but RCCL 's kid program and kid /family friendly program can't be touched on Princess or X.... so you need to decide.... is it more for the family or for yourselves...:p

CC

Sorry... but RCCL 's kid program and kid /family friendly program can't be touched on Princess or X.... so you need to decide.... is it more for the family or for yourselves...:p

CC

Thats what I told my kids... that they probably would not have enjoyed this ship. If we do take them we want a more kid activity focused ship... however mine are the dreaded early teens, too old for disney, too young for older teen activities!

The parents! My son actually went on HAL when he was 4 for a 3 day cruise and he really liked it. He is pretty social. He just likes being around other kids since he is an only child. He is also in 1st grade and thinks that school is awesome! As long as he has things to do he seems to be really happy! So right now I think I can get away with Celebrity or Princess with their children's program. I have read the programs for Princess and their kids program and they seem to have a lot that would keep my son busy. I am just wondering more about Celebrity. I know they aren't set up for a lot of kids, but I am concerned more about a spring break cruise that is sure to have more kids than normal.

That is why I am wondering what Amy's 8 year old thought about being on the Thanksgiving cruise with so many kids! It would be a good comparison since my son would be in the same group.

My sailing on the Solstice last month was very nice. They have a great product. When a room steward when out of his way to stop what he was doing and open my door because i had my hands full, that says a lot.

There is also something to be said about folks cleaning the ship, down on thier hands and knees.

The whole experience was awesome.

My sailing on the Solstice last month was very nice. They have a great product. When a room steward when out of his way to stop what he was doing and open my door because i had my hands full, that says a lot.

There is also something to be said about folks cleaning the ship, down on thier hands and knees.

The whole experience was awesome.

I think that is what surprised me about our cruise on Navigator last month. Our room wasn't clean. There was a glass filled with cigarette butts on the balcony, my son found a bottle of lotion on the floor and also some type of large pill too! The cabin steward also said they were out of robes at first and a few times we were only given two towels (there were 3 of us). We also had no washclothes for a few days! I think they ran out! The staff seemed so unhappy and overwhelmed.. I actually felt bad for them. First time I ever saw this. Not sure if people were new or what... or short staffed. Maybe they had just pulled people off to go over to Oasis or Allure. We are friendly and not demanding... just seemed like most of the staff we encountered were just not very happy or very overworked! Not our usual experience.. no matter what cruise line we have sailed...

you are in for a real treat. we only were able to do a half sail (morning) as it was Thanksgiving day and knew he had plans in afternoon. the cat is pretty new, clean and gorgeous. Andy is a laid back captain and angela was his first mate on our sailing. drinks, apps - you'll probably get lunch....he picks you up right at the concrete docking area in his dingy - you will actually see the cat when you dock in charlotte amalie - see picture. we went to buck island and saw 5 turtles and 2 stingrays. his snorkeling equipment is very nice. there were 4 other excursions there at buck island- but those boats had 25+ people on them!!! :eek: with just the 4 of us on the cat, we were definitely the lucky ones....other excursions are barking orders at their snorklers, they had to wear flourescent life vests....meanwhile, you can come and go from your Sunyata leisurely. it really was the highlight of our trip.....feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Thanks Amy! Great info. We're so looking forward -

We were wondering: Were you snorkeling in deep or shallow water? Was there a coral reef or smooth sand beneath you?

Thanks again.....

you are in for a real treat. we only were able to do a half sail (morning) as it was Thanksgiving day and knew he had plans in afternoon. the cat is pretty new, clean and gorgeous. Andy is a laid back captain and angela was his first mate on our sailing. drinks, apps - you'll probably get lunch....he picks you up right at the concrete docking area in his dingy - you will actually see the cat when you dock in charlotte amalie - see picture. we went to buck island and saw 5 turtles and 2 stingrays. his snorkeling equipment is very nice. there were 4 other excursions there at buck island- but those boats had 25+ people on them!!! :eek: with just the 4 of us on the cat, we were definitely the lucky ones....other excursions are barking orders at their snorklers, they had to wear flourescent life vests....meanwhile, you can come and go from your Sunyata leisurely. it really was the highlight of our trip.....feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Thanks Amy! Great info. We're so looking forward -

We were wondering: Were you snorkeling in deep or shallow water? Was there a coral reef or smooth sand beneath you?

Thanks again.....

At Buck Island, it's deep water....sand bottom w/ some sea grass. As you will be full day, you will go to another stop, I'm sure - maybe even to coral. he has flotation devices if deep water is an issue. the visibility on our sail was incredible! we were at 65ft water and could easily see to bottom, so i would say 75ft visibility! there was a scuba boat that came and left as no need to go low when you can see from surface!!!

Thank you AmyInVail for the info! We're very excited about that excursion. It's reassuring and great to hear how happy you were with it. That's what makes these boards the most useful. Sharing our experiences and learning from others. Thanks again.:)

Now the Americas Cup race and the Turtle cove snorkeling? oh yeah those were a blast!!!

Can you tell me more about the Americas Cup race? I am considering booking it for DH's Christmas present as a surprise on our upcoming cruise. He is an avid sailor - would he have a chance to participate in sailing or would he be a passenger? How long is the sailing part of the excursion? Any information would be appreciated.

Sheila

Can you tell me more about the Americas Cup race? I am considering booking it for DH's Christmas present as a surprise on our upcoming cruise. He is an avid sailor - would he have a chance to participate in sailing or would he be a passenger? How long is the sailing part of the excursion? Any information would be appreciated.

Sheila

Check out www dot 12metre dot com..it is the company's home page. You can also google "americas cup sxm" and get more info.

(SXM is the St Martin airport code)

I would also like to suggest that you avoid Island Marketings excursion called "power catamaran" snorkeling trip - unless you want a drunk, swearing captain who moons other boats/people on the beach.......

We did Sail Sunyata in St Thomas (pvt Cat w/ max of 6 passengers) and it was amazing.

Do you have website, email or phone info for Sunyata? Thanks!

Do you have website, email or phone info for Sunyata? Thanks!

Andy Trombero is Captain's name. HIs cell is (340) 244-7844

You can email him at cruznsouth at hotmail dot com.

he told me that he's having problems with his website.....but, you can contact him this way!!

Amy

I was wondering what u would think of your cruise after all your pre cruise postings.... I can absolutely tell you that "holiday" sailings are the staff's worst nightmare.... they try to book their time off during these times and those stuck working are not happy.... there are more kids/family than usual on board as well as novice cruisers.... I never ever will go on a holiday sailing after one time on Princess...

I also can tell from all your pre postings you had some "high" pre conceived expectations of what X was about.... it is higer end than most mass market lines but No Seabourn etc....

I'll be on Solstice the week after next......

CC

Thanks Amy! Well said...I would agree! We will be on the 12/12/10 Solstice, too! Jackie

We returned from the Solstice on the 11/7/10 - 11/14/10 and it was the best cruise ever. It was our first Celebrity and they are now my new cruise line.

We have been on NCL, Costa (terrible), Carnival and Princess. We feel the food, cabins, service and ship was by far the best we have ever encountered. The service on Carnival was not good last cruise in July.

We thought the crew was very happy. The only person that we felt was not friendly was in the MDR the girl from the bar. I think someone must have said something because by day 3 of the cruise she had a totally changed attitude.

Don't ever go on a cruise during a major holiday because you will have very large families with alot children running around. That was your first problem.

Happy sailing...

We returned from the Solstice on the 11/7/10 - 11/14/10 and it was the best cruise ever. It was our first Celebrity and they are now my new cruise line.

We have been on NCL, Costa (terrible), Carnival and Princess. We feel the food, cabins, service and ship was by far the best we have ever encountered. The service on Carnival was not good last cruise in July.

We thought the crew was very happy. The only person that we felt was not friendly was in the MDR the girl from the bar. I think someone must have said something because by day 3 of the cruise she had a totally changed attitude.

Don't ever go on a cruise during a major holiday because you will have very large families with alot children running around. That was your first problem.

Happy sailing...

We love holiday cruises - have cruised either Thanksgiving or Christmas for the past 3 years.....so, no, that's "not my problem"......we travel with two children and embrace the fact that there are higher number of kids on holiday cruises. Furthermore, there are several posts on here about the crew's attitudes during the 11/21 sailing - not just me....and no, my expectations weren't too high.....we travel about 3 times a year (since 2002) and I can't remember the last time I was so disappointed in a vacation....I'm either not inspired or ecstatic.....rarely am I ever disappointed.

Greetings to All,

We just returned from the Solstice 7 night Eastern Caribbean sailing (Nov. 21 -28). We are Elite members with Celebrity and have sailed the Constellation twice, (Northern Europe and Norwegian Fjords and Baltics) Millennium (Med.), Eclipse,(Canary Islands) and Azamara Quest.(Med.) Most of our sailings have been 12 to 14 night European sailings and one 10 Alaskan sailing on the Infinity. We have also sailed RCI, Carnival, and Disney.

We love Celebrity and Azamara and have always received outstanding service. The ships are spotlessly clean and the food is very good. In addition we have always experienced great ship sponsored shore excursions.

Our recent sailing was very enjoyed, too! The food was very good to excellent and the ship and staterooms were very well maintained. The food in the Ocean View Cafe was exceptionally good, well presented, and fresh! The food in the MDR was very good and the food in the Speciality restaurants was exceptional! We also really enjoyed the Martini Bar :)! The weather was very good on our cruise, with the exception of the first 2 nights that were very rough, in terms of the seas! Fortunately, none of our family members were affected by the rough seas, but many others on board did suffer from seasickness. The weather in San Juan, St. Marteen, and St. Thomas and the last 2 sea days was excellent.

Our stateroom attendant was excellent and very kind, and kept our stateroom in excellent condition.

While we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, there were a few negatives. The most glaring had to do with the staff and their attitudes. We have always had EXCELLENT service on Celebrity and felt the staff went above and beyond. However, on the Solstice we encountered many staff who were very unhappy and seemed to resent having to serve the passengers. This was particularly true in the Ocean View Cafe Bar and Sunset Aft Bar. The staff were downright surly and the bars were very understaffed. This was true throughout the ship in terms of staff at the bars. We always had to wait for an extended time to get a glass of wine or cocktail. We had never experienced this on any other ship. Our service in the MDR was good, but our waiter seemed rather frazzled and overwhelmed and not very friendly. Overall, staff morale seemed very low.

The other disappointment was the Shore Excursions and Shore Excursion staff. We had an awful shore excursion in St. Marteen (Best of St. Marteen with beach afternoon at the Westin Dawn Beach Resort). The Westin staff were downright awful and were totally understaffed. Lunch was to be included in the rather pricy "Exclusive" excursion. Our family of 4 ordered lunch at noon and finally received something to eat around 2:45 p.m. The hotel ran out of hamburgers, buns, cole slaw, chips, etc. We paid $114.00 per person and finally the four of spilt one chicken sandwich and one fish sandwich on bread at 2:45 p.m. My husband and I are very low maintenance and not at all demanding. However, this excursion was really bad. We have probably been on 50 0r 60 ship sponsored excursions and this was definitely the worst. I did report the situation to the shore excursion desk and they did not seem at all interested and said they had NEVER had a compliant before concerning this particular excursion.

The Captain on the Solstice was excellent and very very funny! We also enjoyed the entertainment and sea days!

In closing we did enjoy the cruise very much, but there was a glaring difference in the level of the service on the Solstice vs. the other Celebrity ships we have sailed. We would sail Solstice again, and had we not sailed Celebrity so many times prior with outstanding service, we may not have noticed the service issues as much.

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

we had two great cruises on Solstice in the medit & carib Glad we will be trying Equinox next

- also glad we decided not to book that excursion to the Westin Dawn resort.--we passed mainly b/c we did not want to spend any time in Marigot but are surprised the hotel was that bad.. Hope you filled out a form requesting some money back on that excursion-- not acceptable esp. at the price charged!

For St maarten we will take the water taxi & have lunch at Taloula mango on the boardwalk!

Hi hcat,

yes, I did fill out a comment card and submitted it to the shore excursion desk. We have probably been on over 40 shore excursions with Celebrity and I have never submitted a card with a complaint. We did receive a 25 percent refund on the excursion for the 4 of us.

It is possible our excursion to the Westin was not the "norm" so to speak, but it was truly beyond anything I would consider reasonable in term of service. Our tour guide indicated that normally only 60 people are on that excursion, but there were over 100 the day we went. (not so exclusive!) ..regardless the Westin should have known ahead of time how many to expect. We sat next to a wonderful family of 9 (grandparents, parents, and grandchildren). They were on the Oasis of the Seas, I believe and spent close to a $1,000 for the excursion and the very young grandchildren waited over 2 and 1/2 hours for lunch and then had to split a hot dog of some sort with no bun. The grandmother was very sweet and we exchanged cabin info. as she was going to provide feedback to Royal Caribbean as well.

I did also fill out a comment card on the wonderful excursion we took in St. Thomas. We did the champagne catamaran sail to St. John's and had an absolute blast. The crew were the best and absolutely hilarious ...what a great day!

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

. We did the champagne catamaran sail to St. John's and had an absolute blast. The crew were the best and absolutely hilarious ...what a great day!

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

Nancy...we did that tour about 10 years ago... going back in March with our 7 year old son....can't remember but is that tour more "adult" only or would it be ok with kids...

Hi Sargenet,

Dear Sargenet,

I think the tour would be fine with young children, depending on their interests. Our children who are 14 and 16 went with us and enjoyed it very much. The catamaran sailed to Honeymoon Cove on St. John and my husband, and our 2 children snorkeled and really enjoyed it. They had approximately an hour to snorkel. It was a half day afternoon tour. The sail there and back was about 45 minutes and was mostly soaking in the scenery. On the way back to St. Thomas they provided champagne, sodas, a rum punch, and an assortment of cheeses and bread. It may be a little more adult orientated, but still very appropriate for children.

For younger children, such as your son, you may want to take a look at the Caribbean Sail to Christmas and Honeymoon Cove. It is on a sailing Schooner called Bones and looks like a pirate ship. I remember our son at that age and he was fascinated with pirates. I think there is also a BBQ on the beach included in that excursion, as well as time to snorkel.

Anyway, there are plenty of excursions to choose from and I know all of you will have a fantastic time.

Nancy

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am a new cruiser and my husband and I are sailing on the Solstice 2/20/11. We are looking for great snorkeling excursions on St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Can anyone give us ideas? Also, what is the Sunyata trip and how do I book it?? Thank you!!:)

Archived