Cruising with an almost 8 month old - questions

rin1

I'm traveling with a nearly 8 month old for the first time. It's not my first cruise, but I feel like a first-timer again with all of my questions! We're not going to a hotel or directly to the ship; we are staying with family on either side of the cruise.

1) Did you bring a walkie-talkie so someone could get a bite and still be in communication with you in your room. Any reception?

2) Are there any nice beaches w/in walking distance or easily accessible by bus so we don't have to lug the carseat with us? (Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Grand Cayman.)

3) Any baby-friendly excursions that were so awesome that you'd recommend a car seat for?

4) Anyone ever tried to ship a Pack N Play? How much was it? I need to call Delta later today, as I'm not sure if I can check it as baby's "bag" or not.

5) Do cabins have individual climate control? If not, how are they, temp-wise?

6) Any tips on getting through airport security? It sounds like whoever is holding baby will get scanned & patted down. Yay.

1. Not clear about this. Are you talking about leaving the baby alone in the room?

2. Go to the ports of call section of this webpage, or even this forum, and do some quick reading. All discussed many times.

3. Not in my opinion. With such a young child, I'd keep it as stress free as possible and just go to the beach on my own.

4. You can check the pack-N-play and take it as baggage, but it will count toward your baggage allowance if your child is traveling as a lap child. Your lap child does not get a free checked bag; seats and strollers are checked free, but not pack-n-plays. I think it would be cheaper to pay the checked bag fee, as long as it isn't oversized, then pay shipping fees with UPS/USPS or FEDEX

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/special_baggage/infant_and_children/index.jsp

5. You don't state your cruiseline, but IME, yes

6. I am not sure where you are getting this information. It totally depends on the airport. Every airport does not have full body scanners if that's what you are talking about.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/index.shtm

1. Oh heck no. This is so I could stay in the room with baby whilst she naps and DH could go for a dip, grab a bite, etc. It's more for the, "Honey, could you grab me some cheese?" type purpose.

2. Will do. Just wondered if someone had a particular fav off the top of their head.

3. That's what I was thinking. Thanks!

4. We would get one from the cruise lines, but we are staying with family for 3 days on either side of the cruise and would need it for that anyway.

5. Carnival. It's been so long, I just don't remember!

6. Whoops! I misread: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/index.shtm#formula I thought it said that everyone would need an additional screening, not just *if* the buzzer sounded. Makes so much more sense now.

Thanks!

In GC, there are buses that are right at the dock that will take you to a beach...no seatbelts, so no car seats needed. A guidebook will help with ALL of your ports, as to "baby-related" things to do and how to get there!

Most ships provide either cribs or P&P's....don't bring one!

Thanks for the GC tip! I wouldn't be bringing a P&P or crib, but we're staying w/ family before and after the cruise so I need something for that.

All I know is that we aren't bringing ours. I just called Delta and it would run us $64! :eek:

New question - I've seen the Coverplay slipcovers mentioned on here. I've looked at photos online and it looks like they make the sides of a PNP less breathable. Have you found this to be the case, if you've used one?

Archived