Proposing on board

misty57

Well, it seems that my DS is planning to propose to his girlfriend, ring in hand, on their upcoming cruise! I asked him how he was going to ask her and he really isn't sure. I voted for during dinner on formal night ( letting the Head Waiter know first of course).

Does anyone have other romantic ideas that I could pass on to my DS? I don't want to interfere ( oh well you know, too much:o) but I think it should be a special event with a story they can tell their children and grandchildren one day:D.

I say, let him figure it out! Whether he wants to propose in front of everyone at dinner, or during some quiet, alone time, is for him to decide!!!! He'll know when the time is right! Sometimes, something less "planned" is more memorable!

Now, if my son would just decide to propose to his girlfriend, I wouldn't care HOW he did it....I just want him to be married!!!!!!!

I say, let him figure it out! Whether he wants to propose in front of everyone at dinner, or during some quiet, alone time, is for him to decide!!!! He'll know when the time is right! Sometimes, something less "planned" is more memorable!

Now, if my son would just decide to propose to his girlfriend, I wouldn't care HOW he did it....I just want him to be married!!!!!!!

Of course he will figure it out! He just is thinking about it and I told him I would put the question out there. The question was, does anyone have any romantic ideas. I'm sure there are some people out there who have done this on a cruise and have some great stories to tell. So if anyone is willing to share their ideas about proposing..... not whether I should ask the question, thanks in advance.

I am not about to tell him he has to do anything! and as far as getting married, well none of us has anything to say about that do we?:p

You might want to try doing a search on this site. This subject has been discussed many times before, and perhaps you could find some ideas in the other threads.

Personally, I would not think it romantic to be proposed to during dinner. I would prefer my proposal to be a bit more private.

I posted this a while back - I proposed to my DW on the bow of RCCL's Freedom of the Seas. I suggested we go for an after dinner walk around the ship. A starlit sky, a good breeze and formal night (so were nicely dressed). On the bow, there was no-one up there - just us - perfect. We went and got plenty of photos and champagne afterward.

My husband & I made our own "formal night" for the proposal. He had all sorts of "elves" as I called them who helped with all the arrangments. It seemed everyone on board knew what he was planning except me. All day long people kept asking me if I was looking forward to dinner. I couldn't figure out why b/c hey it's a cruise & there's food everywhere. :D

On formal night is lovely IF your FDIL would enjoy a public proposal. If she'd prefer something more private, it could be bad. I have heard about the following:

• on bended knee on the deck at sunset;
  • rose petals all over the cabin;
  • in front of the on-board photogs so she has a photo of that exact moment;
  • getting picked (pre-arranged in advance) as the newly married couple for the Not so Newlywed game & popping the Q on stage; I don't know if they would actually be expected to play the game at that point. I certainly wasn't capable of deep thought in the hours afterwards.

Whatever he chooses congrats & happy planning.

My hubby proposed as we were getting our pictures taken by the ship's photographer on Formal Night. As the photographer was getting us set up, he dropped to one knee and pulled out the ring. We now have amazing professional pictures of getting engaged! Awesome!!

My hubby proposed as we were getting our pictures taken by the ship's photographer on Formal Night. As the photographer was getting us set up, he dropped to one knee and pulled out the ring. We now have amazing professional pictures of getting engaged! Awesome!!

I love this idea!

I love this too!!!!!!! Amazing to have pics of your proposal! My other vote was for on the top deck under the stars. It just depends on their level of comfort with public attention. DH would rather have died than proposed in front of people - he proposed in a hotel suite in NYC last year after taking me to see Wicked.

Either way they are both going to remember it forever!!

Best wishes to your DS and FDIL!!

Archived