Plus Size Men's Clothing - for a cruise!

crislen

HI everyone!

I'm hoping I can get some help for my 25 year old brother!

By day he is a heavy duty mechanic in overalls and by night a gamer in track pants and t-shirts which barely cover his stomach.

He is 6'7" and around 400 pounds.

I don't think he even owns a shirt with a collar let alone anything suitable for the dining room on a cruiseship - yet I'm dragging him on his first cruise for my wedding next May.

Which means he needs clothes. And since Christmas is coming up, I figure it is a perfect time for me to buy him some.

However, being stuck up in the land of the north with limited selection for plus size woman, there is even a more limited selection for plus size men.

I need help in what items I should purchase him. What type of clothes will he need for the cruise? My fiance is a well dressed man, so I can't trust his style for matching my brother!

We are renting him a tux/suit for the wedding so he'll have that at least for the formal nights. But what around the rest of the time?

Any suggestions for good / relatively inexpensive plus size mens clothing either online (I can ship to Canada or the States)

or brick stores in the Vancouver, Canada / Seattle, WA area?

Thank you very much!!

There are some "Big and Tall" catalogs--just "google" it....but you'll need your brother's sizes.

For all but formal nights, docker-style pants and a golf/polo shirt will be perfectly fine. Or, even "hawaiian" style button shirts...lots of men will be wearing something similar.

He'll probably need shorts and tees for daytime, along with a bathing suit, if he plans on hitting the beach or pool. That's really about it! (Of course, I'm assuming you're going somewhere warm!!!!)

I know that Sears in Canada used to have a good selection of Big & Tall for men. Or check out Land's End because I know they have a great selection online. My sister just ordered some Land's End and had it delivered to Calgary - and it wasn't cheap for shipping, but their clothes prices are pretty good so it may be affordable. Also try JC Penney.

Mark's Work Wearhouse used to have a good selection of clothes in many sizes. I guess if worse comes to worse you could take a run across to the border and hit some of the US stores!

Edit to add: If you're sailing in May then he may want some shorts and tees to wear on the pool deck. Plus Dockers for evening and either a golf type shirt or a tropical/Hawaiian shirt. My husband tends to wear deck or running shoes most of the time during the day. Most ships frown upon men in flip flops for the dining room at night.

Where is your cruise to? Clothing for Alaska is different than clothing for Carib or Mex.

Don't try to get him too far out of his comfort zone, would be my advice :) Hiking-type pants that have elastic insets in the waistband might be something he'd consider wearing, y'know? (Like something from REI, Mountain Equip, that sort of thing). Topped with a generously cut golf shirt -- he'd be presentable. Actually, have a look at the Tilley website -- they've got up to 3x, and a pretty nice pair of cotton crinkle men's pants. 3 XL , 36" inseam unhemmed. Not sure if that'd work or not, but Tilley is a good product and worth the look, anyway :)

Has Mr Big & Tall gone out of business? (Used to shop there for my very tall father.)

George Richards, it should be nation wide. It is big in Ontario. There is a men's store here in Windsor called freed's, if they don't have his size then it's not made. I think they have a website. Just look up men's wear in phone book.

Thanks everyone!

I apologize for forgetting to mention that we're going on the Legend out of Tampa in May on the Western Caribbean itinerary.

We've tried Sears in Canada but the big stuff isn't tall enough! The Mr. Big and Tall stores are still around, but the prices are a little out of both of our reaches for basic stuff.

I checked out the JC Penny's website and they seem to have a good selection and good prices.

btdirect looks great! I can ship stuff easily to just across the border in Blaine to pick up - so I'll take a look at Land's End as well. I'll have my mom measure him so I can get the right sizes (he lives in Calgary and I'm in Vancouver so he can't come shopping with me across the border)

On my list is an assortment of golf shirts (he refuses the hawaiian shirts, lol) and some dockers for the dining room. He has a bunch of sport shorts that he wears so now I just need a few t-shirts for him during the day. Make him presentable at least.

Now only if I can get him to do something about all that back hair. LOL.

You guys rock for all the suggestions!!

I see you've already looked at JC Penney. I buy some of my husband's things in their stores and through their Big & Tall catalog.

I also buy some of his clothing at Kohl's.

It's nice of you to help your brother out :cool:. Happy shopping and have a great vacation!

If it is easy for you to get to Seattle, Casual Male is the way to go, if they have then in Seattle. We are in Ontario close to the border and I do all of my husbands clothes shopping at Casual Male in Buffalo. Much less costly than the larger size stores in Canada and a much bigger selection.

Hmm... I'll have to check Casual Male out next time we do a shopping trip to the states. They have a store in Lynnwood which isn't far from the outlets we go to.

I ended up order 4 shirts and a pair of pants from btdirect.com. They had almost identical items to Casual Male but a little cheaper so I could get him more stuff. I'm having it delivered just across the border from me in Blaine to avoid the extra shipping charges.

Last time I ended up with some stuff for him from the Banana Republic outlet - it barely fit, he liked the style, so now he likes to task me with clothes shopping for me when I can!

Thanks again!!

• 1 year later...

I dont know much about men's sizes, etc. but I did see some things in Walmart, believe it or not, that were a little more dressy..the waist size on a pair of pants was 46 if that's any help,and to me they looked huge. I guess you need to find out how he feels about dressing up a little too.

It may be slightly more expensive (but there are always sales!) eddiebauer.com has a good selection of better quality big/tall mens sizes than JC Penney. My son is 6"4 (I have no idea of his weight) and fairly large.

I've purchased him clothing from both of the above and while the Eddie Bauer stuff lasts for years, the JC Penney brands last through a few washings at best.

You don't need a lot, one pair of slacks and a couple shirts, send the shirts out for laundry and you have enough for the week. Some people scoff at the laundry prices, but to me $4 to wash a shirt saves a whole lot of cash over $20-75 to purchase more shirts.

He might surprise you once he has clothing that looks a bit nicer than what he's wearing now. Perhaps he'll enjoy looking better and take more interest in his appearance.

They don't always have shorts available year round. Since those are harder to come by, I don't wait for sales on shorts. I probably buy him one new pair a year, so it's not like I'm purchasing my son a new wardrobe every season.

My DH is 260 and 6'3". He takes a 2XLT. We get almost all his clothes at JCPenney because they have a pretty good selection and the prices are right. All the guys in our group wear a long sleeved dress shirt and tie for formal nights. They all used to bring suits, but with the cost for luggage now, we don't do that any more. They are not the only ones in the dining room that don't wear suits! During the day he usually wears a polo shirt and shorts. Good luck!

Archived