Sharks at Sharm???

seafun

Not to alarm anyone... since few from this board go to Sharm el Sheikh (although many go to Egypt)...

Noticed this a few minutes ago about a shark attack there:

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-world/20101201/ML.Egypt.Shark.Attack/

Having noted that, I would STILL go snorkeling/diving in the Red Sea -- just about the best I've ever done.

Cheers! :)

Not to alarm anyone... since few from this board go to Sharm el Sheikh (although many go to Egypt)...

Having noted that, I would STILL go snorkeling/diving in the Red Sea -- just about the best I've ever done.

Wow, as you know we were just there (altho in Hurghada) and did one dive and one snorkel trip....... agree - great diving ! Sharks live in the oceans...... get in the ocean and you are entering THEIR domain. but what I wonder is...... was there not a warning to swimmers/snorkelers/divers about the attack the day before ? Many sharks will stay in an area for a while once they have found "stuff" to eat - I would hope that they had a warning out. If so, then it was just the luck of the draw for those attacked. Sad tho.

2 sharks have been caught off Sharm, and have been taken to the lab. at Ras Mohammed, to see whether they can find evidence of the 4 people who've been bitten.

It's a tragedy for Sharm, right in the middle of their main season, with 1,000s of N Europeans going for winter holidays.

Yes, OH thinks the Red Sea is a great spot for snorkelling, and we should have been going again this Jan for a stay/cruise, but there were problems at home. Thomson's are having to reschedule flights to their ship, because of snow in the UK, so the lucky cruisers are having a few extra days in the sun whilst the planes catch up with them....

Jo.

But-as

Laura quotes in CC news, 2nd site on this page, the BBC say that it could well be carcases of animals being taken for Eid in Saudi Arabia, which, after all, is a short trip from the Sinai peninsular. Millions of people have been in Mecca recently, so many animals were needed. I know how near to shore the cargo ships come to Sharm....where we stayed in Shark's Bay.....:rolleyes:

Jo.

The news outlets here in Germany think somebody has been feeding the sharks, since all attacks (4 or 5 by now) have all happened at the same time in the afternoon at exactly the same spot. As long as you don't snorkle at that time and place, you will be alright.

We spent three days at Sharm El Sheikh during our 2 week tour of Egypt this past September. We snorkeled in the supervised area about 50 yards off the hotel beach and it was spectacular! However, sharks go where they want to go. By the way, if anyone goes to Sharm, The Savoy Hotel is one of the most grand hotels we have ever stayed in- a must place to stay in Sharm.

Archived