hi i'm new to this

tonkinesecat

Was recently on the Niew Amsterdam; loved it. I thought it was a beautiful ship; only my second cruise. I have a question: why did the ship bounce so much? Even when we were docked in Cozumel, during dinner, the stern of the ship banged up and down violently.

Also, off the coast of Cuba, we stopped for three hours dead in the water and the captain said they had to perform tests on their thrusters? Huh? Is this normal?

welcome to cruise critic. i don't know why you were bouncing, maybe rough seas? stopping to test the thrusters is not normal.

i was on a transatlantic once, where the ship was being inspected. they had to come to a complete stop, go in reverse a while, then forward again. certainly didn't take 3 hours.

Welcome! Sometimes the ships bounce around because the Captain is tired and the other guys take the wheel.

Makes for a lovely huggy night, though, doesn't it. Like you can't walk anywhere so you might as well hit the sack.;)

Maintenance on the ship is ongoing 24/7. Perhaps one or more of the thrusters required routine maintenance that resulted in new parts. Obviously,the chief engineer and captain want to test the equipment after the work to make sure everything is working properly. Sure don't want to find out 100 feet from the pier that the maintenance work wasn't succesful!

Archived