What do I pack? This is my first cruise.

Tessalovesjohnny

NCL is not a formal experience for the most part. During the cruise you will have couple of "dress up...or not" nights. Most don't dress up. However...some do and you can be completely comfortable doing so. I never get past the "resort casual" level of dress but do enjoy seeing those who have really dressed formally. The ships' atmospheres are such that you do what you like doing or are most comfortable doing. That's why I like NCL. You will have the opportunity to have the ship's photographer take some formal pics of you if you wish. Although of course you have to pay for them, they usually look very good. So clothes, take as much or as little as you wish. NY, you will sure be going from cold to warm however.

Bring light layers, by the time you are in the Caribbean it will be warm. Evenings will be cool so you'll need to layer stuff to be comfortable. Capris, shorts, simple skirts, long and short sleeved tops. Jacket, cardigan because the ship's venues can be cool because of the A/C. Swimsuit/coverup as by the 2nd afternoon you'll be in warm water. In the evening of the sailaway you'll be off the coast of the Carolinas. Umbrella in case of rain on your port days.

As the other poster suggested there is no need for dressy clothes, you can do this kind of cruise in a carry-on bag. Make sure everything coordinates and you can wear things more than one time. Other than that, you really need little else.

Have a wonderful time! :)

Here's what you do. Pack what you think you will need. Then go to the bank to get your cruise money.

Then put half of what you packed back in the closet and drawers.

Then go back to the bank and get more money!!!

Took me a couple of cruises to realize I didn't need half the clothes I brought with me.

This is the best way to do it...

You go through practically all 4 seasons on a winter cruise out of NYC.

Layers are great. The 1st & last day will be cold. Wear a sweater to board & expect to keep it on inside all day. It will still be cool on the 2nd day & 2nd to last day not beach weather.

Mix & match is your best bet. You only need 2-3 pairs of shorts. Noone will point in horror b/c you wore them 2x. Bring at least 2 bathing suits b/c it's hard to get them dry sometimes.

NCL doesn't have a mandatory formal night. You can dress up if you like; we always do b/c it just adds a little something to the cruise IMHO. The restaurnats & bars are elegant so we try to dress up a little for dinner but not too much . . . I wear carpris or a sundress. Bring a sweater b/c they crank the AC.

Here's what you do. Pack what you think you will need. Then put half of it back in the closet and drawers.

Took me a couple of cruises to realize I didn't need half the clothes I brought with me.

You hit it dead on!!

I pack two pairs of slacks and/or two pairs of shorts, two golf and hawaiian shirts, and several pairs of socks and undies, along with a sweater and a light jacket in case it rains and a swim trunk. A bag of toiletries, and my digital camera. I require nothing more for a one week cruise. I wear one pair of shoes, socks, undies, slacks and a shirt when I board, and a heavy jacket from New York during the winter with gloves if necessary. Dress in layers, mix and match. If you don't exert yourself clothing items can be worn a second day...

All of the above will fit in a carry on bag. The more you pack is the more you will have to lug around... I prefer to lug around as little as possible, and if I carry it onto the ship, its there and not lost... Leave all your gadgets at home you don't need, they will be waiting for you when you return... And if you need a little thing you didn't pack, gift shops will most likely carry the item or it can wait until you get home...

Here's what you do. Pack what you think you will need. Then put half of it back in the closet and drawers.

This post and Don's above with the link to packing on YouTube is all you need to know. Unless, you are me... because even when I put half of the clothes back in the closet, I still have one or two items I don't wear.

You've gotten good advice. I usually pack more tops than bottoms (which take up more room) and have the bottoms laundered at least once each. Take skirts (1 or 2) that can dress up a top, in case you want to wear one for a little dressier dinner.

Take extra media cards for your camera, a highlighter for the dailies and a travel pack of duct tape. Trust me. It always comes in handy.

Now I like to do a bar set up and take my bullet blender. It takes about the place of a pair of shoes in the suitcase but is a lot more fun!

Have fun!

Layers are indeed key. You can get by without a winter coat if you layer a light tank/tshirt under a longer shirt under a sweater/hoodie under a windbreaker, and remember to bring a hat, gloves, and maybe a scarf. (It gets windy shipboard.) And then you can use the layers separately as you get to warmer climes.

However, I recommend bringing 2 swimsuits. I've gone whole days on a cruise wearing nothing but a suit, and sometimes they DO take a long time to dry. I pack a coverup that I also use as a bathrobe, and that's just fine to wear everywhere during the day. I usually put on "real" clothes in the evening but nobody cares if you wear the same thing more than once!

Archived