P&O wine list - does anyone have a copy??

I would love to see a copy of the wine list if anyone has it just see we have an idea what we are in for!! thank you in advance.

Don't get your hopes up. :)

For me, the word "mediocre" would best describe P&O's wine list - and thats being charitable. :p:D

Others will most likely have a different POV - but thats life. ;)

Here are thier choices from their wine by the glass menu, I typed up from an earlier cruise:

white:

McWilliams select, semillon and sauvignon blanc

Circle Collection estate, sauv blanc

Barwang cafe series, crisp chardonnay

e minor, chardonnay

Glendore estate, semillon and sauv blanc

Red:

Rothbury estate, cab sauv and merlot

chateau tanunda, cab sauv and shiraz

thomas mitchell, shiraz

penfold's private release, shiraz and cab sauv

e minor, cab sauv and merlot

e minor, shiraz

glendore estate, tempranillo

glendore estate, shiraz

Blush

Glendore estate, blush moscato

Sparkling

Grant Burge, Brut, pinot noir and chardonnay

imprint by "mitchelton"

Thanks for that list - let's hope it changes.

Does P&O not realise that some of us actually appreciate good wine. Why can't they have a general crap wine list and then give us a Premium list?

Cheers

Di

Perhaps Salt dining has a better wine list. We left it a bit late to book and couldn't get in.

I guess P&O are aiming the wine list at the average passenger. Their mark ups are about average, so a $8 to $10 bottle shop wine is $25 to $30. You could say the wine goes with food - OK for what you pay for the cruise.

I just wish it was BYO wine, but I guess that would be abused.

Perhaps Salt dining has a better wine list. We left it a bit late to book and couldn't get in.

I guess P&O are aiming the wine list at the average passenger. Their mark ups are about average, so a $8 to $10 bottle shop wine is $25 to $30. You could say the wine goes with food - OK for what you pay for the cruise.

I just wish it was BYO wine, but I guess that would be abused.

Peal, I disagree that it is okay for what you pay for the cruise. A mix of average and good bottled wines should be available and hopefully it will be. On Princess you can bring wine on board and that privilege isn't abused, it's appreciated. This will be the first time we have cruised with P&O and yes, with some reservation, however we are going on board with a positive outlook;).

It's a shame you didn't get into Salt, it would have been good to hear your opinion.

Cheers,

Di

It's a shame you didn't get into Salt, it would have been good to hear your opinion.

Cheers,

Di

We spoke to two couples who went to Salt. Both were very happy with the whole experience. They thought the extra cost was well worth it. You'll see some negative posts on this forum, but I wouldn't be put off by them.

We really enjoyed our dinner at Salt. The wine list was different (much wider price range) from what was offered in the Waterfront Restaurant.

Thanks Aus Traveller - we will definitely try it. We find that the specialty restaurants do tend to have a more extensive/better wine list. The Dawn Princess had a very good wine list in the Steak restaurant on the world cruise - catering for all, however the last cruise on the Dawn Princess, Steak restaurant, whilst good, not as good.

Cheers,

Di

Without being offensive, P&O Australia's wine list caters to the 'masses.' Why would they put Penfolds Grange on board, nobody would buy it, but if you put it on QM2, or Seabourn Spirt or Crystal Symphony then it would sell to the well heeled.

P&O sells commercial wines, as has been said $8 bottle shop wines for $30, enough said.

I am no wine snob either, I drink Cask Wine or commerical bottled wine and when I jump on the Princess or HAL ship next year, as I have done in the past, a couple of wine casks will be in the baggage, no worries.

As for speciality restaurants on board, tried them once, not worth the money, if you want a big steak ask for two steaks in the MDR.

Just my two bobs worth.

Well perhaps I'm a 'wine' snob then because I wouldn't touch a casked wine. As for a Penfolds Grange Hermitage - we're not asking for Grange, just decent wine - just a few choices. The rest can - as you say, appeal to the masses. As for spending the extra money to dine elsewhere, we do and we like it, so we will.

Cheers

Without being offensive, P&O Australia's wine list caters to the 'masses.' Why would they put Penfolds Grange on board, nobody would buy it, but if you put it on QM2, or Seabourn Spirt or Crystal Symphony then it would sell to the well heeled.

P&O sells commercial wines, as has been said $8 bottle shop wines for $30, enough said.

I am no wine snob either, I drink Cask Wine or commerical bottled wine and when I jump on the Princess or HAL ship next year, as I have done in the past, a couple of wine casks will be in the baggage, no worries.

As for speciality restaurants on board, tried them once, not worth the money, if you want a big steak ask for two steaks in the MDR.

Just my two bobs worth.

\

Well clearly we are wine snobs. Shall we just leave it that wine out of a cardboard box is not to our taste . We only ever buy wine by the bottle so there goes your chateau cardboard theory. Never mind, try again.

Also could you let me know next time QM2 offers a cruise around the South Pacific.:rolleyes:

Cheers

Somebody ask for a wine list?

This list was from the wine tasting session from both the Jewel and the Sun. Lots of fun but I think some people got the wrong idea and thought it was a p**s up. Glasses were emptied before the presenter even finished giving his notes on the wine. :D

P&O Wine List Pg 1.pdf

P&O Wine List Pg 2.pdf

P&O Wine List Pg 3.pdf

Archived