Flight cancellations

stacis64

Husband and I are taking a cruise out of San Juan that departs at 8:00 PM. We arrive that day at 2:15 PM. Concerned that if there is a flight cancellation or delay due to weather (flying from OH in February) we will miss the ship's boarding. Was going to change my flight to the day before at a cost of $200/person plus the hotel until someone mentioned getting insurance. The insurance would be much cheaper but how difficult is it getting last minute flights from San Juan to Barbados? Anyone have any experience?

I would change the flight. The insurance- if you can get it now- will probably cost you several hundred dollars, which will make the change fee a near wash.

Insurance doesn't some how get you to your ship on time. Flying the day before increases the chances of you making it.

Flying in the same day of a cruise, particularly in the winter months, from a winter area, is risky at best.

Husband and I are taking a cruise out of San Juan that departs at 8:00 PM. We arrive that day at 2:15 PM. Concerned that if there is a flight cancellation or delay due to weather (flying from OH in February) we will miss the ship's boarding. Was going to change my flight to the day before at a cost of $200/person plus the hotel until someone mentioned getting insurance. The insurance would be much cheaper but how difficult is it getting last minute flights from San Juan to Barbados? Anyone have any experience?

Change your flights

Reason 1. Most likely, if your flight is delayed due to something not caused by the airline or cruiseline (are any delays ever their fault?) insurance will NOT cover unless you try to catch up to the ship. (Flight delayed and you say to heck with it and stay home??? not covered) (( then,,they will only cover IF delayed by the minimum number of hours stated in the policy))

Reason 2. Even if you are covered by insurance, the insurance company is not just going to call the airline and say "hey, get them on the next flight and bill us the insurance company".

You will have to pay for your new tickets up front,,then, when you return, you will file a claim for reimbursement.

I think the question for you to answer is, which is worse: buying insurance, keeping your current air booking, and still not only worrying about missing the ship, then catching up with the ship, but also whether the insurance company will reimburse you, and if so for how much; or biting the bullet to pay to fly in a day early and for a hotel room, but no longer having any worry about making the ship?

Although we always purchase travel insurance, we still try to get to the port city at least a day before embarkation. The pre-cruise stress is a lot less that way.

Whichever path you decide, I hope you have an uneventful and enjoyable cruise. :)

This is a toughie... I'd buy the insurance because I always do. Each policy differs as to how much you can be delayed before they will provide coverage. Some policies require you to be delayed for twelve hours, some five, etc.

They also differ as to what circumstances are covered. Most cover inclement weather, but some require it to close the airport. Some don't... Some policies cover delays due to a "mechanical", others don't.

It's your call...

SirWired

• 4 weeks later...

Fly in a day early and get a cheap hotel. The last two times to San Juan, we've had horrible flight delays and cancellations.

The first time, we were to fly in the day of the cruise (Dec) and due to cancellations and delays, we spent our first "cruise night" in Atlanta. We did catch up with the ship the next day.

The next time, we flew in the day before the cruise (April) and the first flight was canceled and the reschedule flight had a 6 hour layover in Newark. The original schedule was leave at 6:00 AM and arrive in San Juan at 1:30 PM. The actual was sit at the airport from 5:00 AM until noon and then arrive in San Juan at 11:30 PM.

• 3 weeks later...
Fly in a day early and get a cheap hotel. The last two times to San Juan, we've had horrible flight delays and cancellations.

The first time, we were to fly in the day of the cruise (Dec) and due to cancellations and delays, we spent our first "cruise night" in Atlanta. We did catch up with the ship the next day.

The next time, we flew in the day before the cruise (April) and the first flight was canceled and the reschedule flight had a 6 hour layover in Newark. The original schedule was leave at 6:00 AM and arrive in San Juan at 1:30 PM. The actual was sit at the airport from 5:00 AM until noon and then arrive in San Juan at 11:30 PM.

Can you give me some names of the cheap hotels you speak of? We would like to go early a day and maybe stay a day after, if the price is right. Thanks

Archived