HAL strategy wrong? Go upmarket, better than going down market?

HappyInVan

Please tell me where to routinely find the $299/week Alaskan cruise. I will be glad to sign up for a few of those.

Last minute discounts meant to fill cabins aren't quite the same as an entire ship of $299 cabins. And how do those last minute cabins open up? From people who have been upsold, frequently. HAL believes -- and I suspect with evidence -- that they make more money filling those cabins -- even at $299 (a fare I haven't personally seen as a rule), than by leaving them unfilled. HAL knows exactly how much extra spending they get from each guest -- including last minute fare discount passengers. Everyone here is just guessing.

No matter what your opinion on on-board spending, human decency and respect should still prevail.

I could care less about onboard spending. The $299 cruise was mentioned by a poster on here today. If you want to sail from Seward to Vancouver those cruises are $399 most of the summer. Bermuda cruises were getting blown out for $399 (wonder why they stopped that run)

I get emails almost daily for $499 caribbean cruises (no not every cruise)

$299 $399 or $499 for a week on a ship is too cheap and you will end up with a watered down cruise. I guess if it's your first cruise,then you will never know it's watered down. perhaps that's what they're banking on:confused:

Edited by Wakepatrol

Please tell me where to routinely find the $299/week Alaskan cruise. I will be glad to sign up for a few of those.

Last minute discounts meant to fill cabins aren't quite the same as an entire ship of $299 cabins. And how do those last minute cabins open up? From people who have been upsold, frequently. HAL believes -- and I suspect with evidence -- that they make more money filling those cabins -- even at $299 (a fare I haven't personally seen as a rule), than by leaving them unfilled. HAL knows exactly how much extra spending they get from each guest -- including last minute fare discount passengers. Everyone here is just guessing.

No matter what your opinion on on-board spending, human decency and respect should still prevail.

I'd like to know how to find those $299/$399 Alaska cruises too. Living close to port we do Alaska frequently, and I am always looking for a deal. But even when I click on the lowest prices (around $649) it always ends up being way more. My "deal" this year is costing us around $900 each and I'm happy with that.

I'd like to know how to find those $299/$399 Alaska cruises too. Living close to port we do Alaska frequently, and I am always looking for a deal. But even when I click on the lowest prices (around $649) it always ends up being way more. My "deal" this year is costing us around $900 each and I'm happy with that.

I didn't price out HAL, but did price out Star Princess 5/11 Glacier Bay RT out of Seattle for a solo. Inside cabin with insurance/port fees taxes came out to around $700(mid ship on a middle deck).

If we haven't had such a long winter here in Ohio(sick of wearing my winter coat well into April) I would have gone, just tired of cold weather at this point.

May 19 Statendam. Northbound.

2 seniors, inside gty $525.85 per person., total $1051.70 for two people.

includes all taxes. excludes any OBC from TA (which would probably be $50-$75)

price was displayed as $349 and then taxes were added.

It was listed on 2 seperate on line sites. I just hit book and the price popped out.

I cannot do insides but for those who can it is a great deal. Princess also has some offerings. No doubt they will be gone within hours.

Don't use the HAL site, it is too slow and cumbersome. Use on on line TA site-there are lots of them.

Edited by iancal

Wow....... !!!!

Incredible.

How do you know what other vacations some posters here take aside from cruising? Do you know about the resort vacations we take? The city hotel vacations we enjoy? Again, those generalization are never good. ;)

We're insane? :confused: Huh?

Then there are also those of us who have sailed other cruise lines plenty enough to know we don't wish to sail them again.

But, someone reading here isn't likely to know that unless someone of us included in that generalization say so. :)

Oh dear, have I touched a nerve? Can't think why you have taken my post so seriously, otherwise.

And yes, people do say here where they are going/been/enjoy etc. But of course you know this as well as I do.

My post is, of course MOO.

Not quite sure what your last paragraph means, though.:confused:

Oh dear, have I touched a nerve? Can't think why you have taken my post so seriously, otherwise.

And yes, people do say here where they are going/been/enjoy etc. But of course you know this as well as I do.

My post is, of course MOO.

Not quite sure what your last paragraph means, though.:confused:

What does "MOO" mean?

Thanks.

I couldn''t find it on the acronym sticky either:confused:

I was afraid it had something to do with cows. :D :r=eek:

My own opinion;)

Thank you.

I never would have come up with that.

Most of us are familiar with IMO, JMO = In my opinion; Just my opinion

Edited by sail7seas

It was listed on 2 seperate on line sites. I just hit book and the price popped out.

I cannot do insides but for those who can it is a great deal. Princess also has some offerings. No doubt they will be gone within hours.

Don't use the HAL site, it is too slow and cumbersome. Use on on line TA site-there are lots of them.

Just think what the price would be with air. It would likely be well over 2K. That why the one way cruises are always so cheap.

Hi --

It's not the cruiseline that is going downmarket, but the passengers. Look around. Many years ago, air passengers used to get dressed up for the occasion; now they fly in jeans.

Many years ago churchgoers used to do the same. Now they go in jeans.

Theatre goers, ditto.

Standards of people have deteriorated to the point that many passengers have never thought of an upscale experience and don't seek it out. They simply don't know what upscale is.

Everything these days is rush, rush, rush, and they can tolerate quite well a McDonalds instead of an upscale restaurant. Experiencing an upscale environment just doesn't fit with the scheme of things for mthe modern generation.

The cruiselines see all this, and respond to these changed demographics.

ZU

Hi --

It's not the cruiseline that is going downmarket, but the passengers. Look around. Many years ago, air passengers used to get dressed up for the occasion; now they fly in jeans.

Theatre goers, ditto.

Standards of people have deteriorated to the point that many passengers have never thought of an upscale experience and don't seek it out. They simply don't know what upscale is.

Everything these days is rush, rush, rush, and they can tolerate quite well a McDonalds instead of an upscale restaurant. Experiencing an upscale environment just doesn't fit with the scheme of things for mthe modern generation.

ZU

Yep. Things change. Here is a photo of a baseball crowd from the 30s. Lots of suits and ties - for baseball. Try to find a baseball fan with a suit on now.

51ASmLUPAYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just saying, things change.

Hi --

Theatre goers, ditto.

ZU

How depressing.

Yep. Things change. Here is a photo of a baseball crowd from the 30s. Lots of suits and ties - for baseball. Try to find a baseball fan with a suit on now.

51ASmLUPAYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just saying, things change.

When was a baseball game a formal event? Maybe Bob Costas will know?

What's next a picture of our founding fathers? They dressed differently as well. Formal hasn't changed has it? if I get an invitation to a formal event I know not to show up in a track suit.. just saying

How depressing.

But true. The world is changing and those that turn the wheels are more likely to be wearing jeans and a hoodie than a business suit. One of the most successful people I know, that I dealt with on a daily basis in my business life, is a multi-millionaire, donates huge sums of money to hospitals and charities here in BC, and seldom wears a suit. Usually he is in jeans and a golf shirt. He's one of the classiest people you'll ever meet. And he's been known to turn up for formal functions in a sports jacket:D

We love formal nights, as you know - but I would never, ever, stoop so low as to judge someone by what they wear (and sapper, I know you wouldn't either). Yes it adds to the occasion, but one can never jump to the conclusion that just because someone dresses casually they are cheap and not good enough to cruise on HAL. Nor is it any indication of how much they spend onboard (I'm still trying to figure out how certain posters think they know exactly what others spend:rolleyes:).

Hi --

Theatre goers, ditto.

ZU

Yes, they put in more effort. They also weren't sitting around in front of a screen all day like we all are either. Let those without sin cast the first stones, no? We've all changed.

In my experience in business......the more senior the executive is or the more wealthy/successful the entrepreneur is/was, the more likely the he/she would be more comfortable in casual clothes and more likely to show up up for an event in a sports jacket and dressy jeans. Ditto for his or her partner.

My observation is that the people who are not there on the ladder are the ones that are absolutely terrified of not fitting in. They wear the suits to these informal business events. Just my observation in working with very senior people for many years

I suspect that this is why many of the truly high end cruises are casual. These people are at the top of their game, they no longer have to pretend or try to impress.

It was always a mistake to judge these 'books' by the cover.

Edited by iancal

But true. The world is changing and those that turn the wheels are more likely to be wearing jeans and a hoodie than a business suit. One of the most successful people I know, that I dealt with on a daily basis in my business life, is a multi-millionaire, donates huge sums of money to hospitals and charities here in BC, and seldom wears a suit. Usually he is in jeans and a golf shirt. He's one of the classiest people you'll ever meet. And he's been known to turn up for formal functions in a sports jacket:D

We love formal nights, as you know - but I would never, ever, stoop so low as to judge someone by what they wear (and sapper, I know you wouldn't either). Yes it adds to the occasion, but one can never jump to the conclusion that just because someone dresses casually they are cheap and not good enough to cruise on HAL. Nor is it any indication of how much they spend onboard (I'm still trying to figure out how certain posters think they know exactly what others spend:rolleyes:).

You speak a lot of truth, like it or not.

As to not knowing what people spend-----and here I thought you were totalling up my souvenir Bailey's glasses. :D:D

In my experience in business......the more senior the executive is or the more wealthy/successful the entrepreneur is/was, the more likely the he/she would be more comfortable in casual clothes and more likely to show up up for an event in a sports jacket and dressy jeans. Ditto for his or her partner.

Ah yes.

But look at the price tag on than jacket and those jeans.:D

(I don't disagree by the way).

Edited by world~citizen

Ah yes.

You're right. :D

Some of those jackets cost more than some people pay for their whole cruise. ;)

I'm looking at this thread on my iPhone app and for the first time seeing that it's 2.5 years old and Brian (bepsf) was one of the first posters! Where the heck IS he? Does anyone know? Has he gone the way of Greg and Jim and etc? Miss Brian.

Ah yes.

The price tag comment stirred up some interesting memories !!

I took a venture into the clothing business a few years ago, and on a shopping trip, I ended up in the "back alley" garment district in Los Angeles.

One small shop was making some very nice clothing, and I asked the owner what brand he was making.

His reply was "What brand do you want them to be?". He then showed me several boxes of labels with familiar names and said "We do them all".

The prices he charged were so low it would shock you !! So --- Don't put much emphasis on the price tags !!

Edited by swedish weave

The price tag comment stirred up some interesting memories !!

I took a venture into the clothing business a few years ago, and on a shopping trip, I ended up in the "back alley" garment district in Los Angeles.

One small shop was making some very nice clothing, and I asked the owner what brand he was making.

His reply was "What brand do you want them to be?". He then showed me several boxes of labels with familiar names and said "We do them all".

The prices he charged were so low it would shock you !! So --- Don't put much emphasis on the price tags !!

People who know quality do not buy by label.

They purchase by quality. They look at the garmet, they feel the cloth, the examine the stitching, the most of all appreciate the fine cut and fit.

Labels mean nothing.

Quality is the goal,,,,,,, for some.

And, IMO, this post is not off topic.

Some people really seek quality on their cruises, as well. Just getting on the ship for $399 for the week is not good enough for some. There are those who would rather not go than to get a product so below their expectation or acceptibility that it isn't worth much to them.

If the service is rushed and hectic or sporadic due to understaffing.

If the menus are loaded with fillers rather than at least a few quality choices and the amenities are diminshed far from what they have been in the past....

Each has to decide for themselves is this a standard that pleases them?

Everyone has their own idea of what is 'good enough' quality.

Edited by sail7seas