No Tipping from May 2011 to / from OZ . So how does every one earn a paycheck

degarr

No not another tipping thread...This arrived in my inbox from Princess titled "No Tipping from May 2011"

At Princess Cruises® we love to pamper our guests in every way, every day.

From May 2011, we will be removing the automatic discretionary hotel and dining charge as well as the bar and wine surcharge on all Sun Princess®, Dawn Princess® and Sea Princess® cruises departing and returning to Australia. If you would like to reward staff for exemplary service, you can do so at your discretion.

We continually look for better ways to meet local expectations, that's why Australian currency is used on board, local entertainers join our ships and our menus are created from scratch using the freshest of local flavours.

I hope they are compensating all including the 15% bar staff, rather than leave it to us Australians who are not used to tipping as much. New cruisers from Australia would not even think about tipping housekeeping etc. They may the bar staff but not at 15%. I assume a deal has been struck in the pricing one would hope!

It will probably be built into the cost of the cruise.
'

they have increased the fares to include the tips, not sure about the drinks

p&o AU has cut out the auto tips but their cruises have not increased as much as princess AU has

they are probably being paid correct wages(Aussie workers have to be paid, unlike US workers on ships)

because those certain ships will be based in Australia

Mmm not sure if it falls under Australian IR laws. I have been on all three ships (albeit 1 in Caribbean) but not no many Australians working and I am sure it has nothing to do with IR Laws. As long as it is factored In and staff get their bit I suppose that is OK.

It is a bit like Princess contractuals with OZ customers, cancel at any time you lose deposit etc, thought this might be as ugly. That is another topic and why many avoid local bookings

Australians are not used to paying tips as our workers are all paid very well.Hospitality staff in Aus get paid Penalty rates and overtime and explains why we Aussies are not used to paying tips and therefore the crew were not getting the tips that they would get elsewhere.

To compensate, we can be well assured that the tips are in the fares and it is already showing in the increased costs of our cruises Downunder.

To compensate, we can be well assured that the tips are in the fares and it is already showing in the increased costs of our cruises Downunder.
Bingo! Maybe that will become the model for all cruises. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, as long as crew members believe that their efforts are being rewarded and passengers believe they are receiving acceptable service.

It's really kind of a non-issue when you think about that way, the only difference is when, to whom, and how the pay gets to the hands of those who are doing the work.

But an honest question here!

How long will it be before those sailing on the Sun Class ships in Ausralia start yelling because they are paying more for their cruise down under on these ships (because they have raised the price to include basic tips) then they would pay for the cruises where tipping isn't included in the actual cruise price? And what about when they find the drink prices are higher, as they also include that 15% in the set price. I know it's going to happen, and I would bet sooner than later.

Face it Australian cruisers, you will now be forced to pay the higher price, which includes tips to the crew, one way or the other. This is just a way to have them included in the cruise price, but if you notice, it still mentions tipping those that gave you exemplary service.

Although I think it's a great idea, as this way the crew will get at least their basic tips included in their wage, I would guess before long all ships will change to this method, and we will be asked to tip in cash the same amount we would have before it was added. IMHO of course!

i personally feel this is a good move .

Then customers know they have already paid for tips .It makes for better budgeting for cruise. Plus it cannot be taken off so that is better for the employees.:)

Passengers then only have to tip extra to those with exemplary service at their

discretion.:)

But an honest question here!

How long will it be before those sailing on the Sun Class ships in Ausralia start yelling because they are paying more for their cruise down under on these ships (because they have raised the price to include basic tips) then they would pay for the cruises where tipping isn't included in the actual cruise price? And what about when they find the drink prices are higher, as they also include that 15% in the set price. I know it's going to happen, and I would bet sooner than later.

Face it Australian cruisers, you will now be forced to pay the higher price, which includes tips to the crew, one way or the other. This is just a way to have them included in the cruise price, but if you notice, it still mentions tipping those that gave you exemplary service.

Although I think it's a great idea, as this way the crew will get at least their basic tips included in their wage, I would guess before long all ships will change to this method, and we will be asked to tip in cash the same amount we would have before it was added. IMHO of course!

I wonder if it won't save us Americans a little money. Since everyone will be tipping, maybe the price won't go to the current price plus the autotip.

From my experience on a few cruises with Brits ,they were not accustom to tipping either, so I wonder if this trend will spread on to other cruises.

As for us , we always figure in the tips to the original cost of the cruise right when we consider the cruise, so I guess it wouldn't make much of a difference.

I don't know about the rest of Europe , do they tip or not ??

Cori

I wonder if it won't save us Americans a little money. Since everyone will be tipping, maybe the price won't go to the current price plus the autotip.

Paul, I agree, but what I am saying is that if the price of the gratuities is included with the cruise fare (which I think is great) but that is just a higher cruise fare and doesn't mention the fact that gratutities are in the price as it also still mentions tipping to those that gave you great service, don't be surprised if on top of that they don't ask for the same amount of gratuities that we are paying now to be paid in cash (as it used to be). Which will end up being a higher cruise fare, with at least the same amount of gratuities added on in cash on the last night. (not sure if I typed that so it is understandable or not).

Paul, I agree, but what I am saying is that if the price of the gratuities is included with the cruise fare (which I think is great) but that is just a higher cruise fare and doesn't mention the fact that gratutities are in the price as it also still mentions tipping to those that gave you great service, don't be surprised if on top of that they don't ask for the same amount of gratuities that we are paying now to be paid in cash (as it used to be). Which will end up being a higher cruise fare, with at least the same amount of gratuities added on in cash on the last night. (not sure if I typed that so it is understandable or not).

I see what you meant. I would suspect that at least over time we will be "encouraged" to give cash.

I am interested in this because we are booked for 42 days on the Dawn P in September and October. If we are only tipping for extraordinary service, that will save us $1000 or so. I like that.

Like myself who have always paid the $10.50 per day plus extra tips in cash on the last day will be the same. Apart from the fact will pay the $10.50 per night total in advance with in our fare.:)

I think its a much better system and easier for the billing clerk on board not having to add $10.50 to each account per night

I see what you meant. I would suspect that at least over time we will be "encouraged" to give cash.

I am interested in this because we are booked for 42 days on the Dawn P in September and October. If we are only tipping for extraordinary service, that will save us $1000 or so. I like that.

Sounds great, especially if you booked it before the cruise fares were raised to include the auto hotel charge. ;)

Like myself who have always paid the $10.50 per day plus extra tips in cash on the last day will be the same. Apart from the fact will pay the $10.50 per night total in advance with in our fare.:)

I think its a much better system and easier for the billing clerk on board not having to add $10.50 to each account per night

erm, I don't think the billing clerk adds the accounts up every night. I believe thay have computers to do that!

How long will it be before those sailing on the Sun Class ships in Ausralia start yelling because they are paying more for their cruise down under on these ships (because they have raised the price to include basic tips) then they would pay for the cruises where tipping isn't included in the actual cruise price?
This being CC, I'd give it, oh, about 48 hours.

There's always some CC member who wouldn't be happy if they got the moon on a stick.

erm, I don't think the billing clerk adds the accounts up every night. I believe thay have computers to do that!

When I was a Receptionist /Billing clerk in hotel industry olden days we had to add charges to each bill.

Wonderful automation these days:)

It sounds like Princess finally realized that it is unwise to work against local custom. It creates a lot of grumbling and they probably spent a lot of time deaing with unhappy passengers

So now they will do what some other lines do and embed hotel charges in cruise fare.

Princes are always changing anyway so it is pretty mucb invisible to the comsumerr this way. Unfortunately, the cruise fare is commisionable so less fall to the bottom line.

It sounds like Princess finally realized that it is unwise to work against local custom. It creates a lot of grumbling and they probably spent a lot of time deaing with unhappy passengers

So now they will do what some other lines do and embed hotel charges in cruise fare.

Princes are always changing anyway so it is pretty mucb invisible to the comsumerr this way. Unfortunately, the cruise fare is commisionable so less fall to the bottom line.

I would guess Princess was more tired of dealing with unhappy crew then passengers. Since they were able to remove the auto tip, it was just a little bit of standing in line for the passengers, but the crew on the other hand were getting stiffed.........and I am sure very very unhappy. This way, the passengers don't have to stand in line, they can just pay more right from the start. :)

Archived