Anyone sailed with an "Enhanced ID"?

lunaxmars

I have my trip coming up in March on the EPIC and I am getting an enhanced driver's license soon. Since this counts as a passport, has anyone got off the ship in Mexico or Honduras with this type of ID? Do they automatically know what it is? Or should I stick with getting off with my passport? Thanks! :)

I have my trip coming up in March on the EPIC and I am getting an enhanced driver's license soon. Since this counts as a passport, has anyone got off the ship in Mexico or Honduras with this type of ID? Do they automatically know what it is? Or should I stick with getting off with my passport? Thanks! :)

An enhanced driver's license does not take the place of a passport--you are misinformed.

BG

An enhanced driver's license does not take the place of a passport--you are misinformed.

BG

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/edl-faqs.htm#advantages

What are the advantages of an EDL or ENDID?

An EDL or ENDID can be used instead of a passport to return to the U.S. from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean. Contact your travel agent, your cruise line or the specific countries of destination to verify travel document requirements. An Enhanced document also speeds border crossings, costs less than a passport and fits in your wallet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I guess its just allowed to enter the US with. Oh well- would have been sweet to carry around a smaller form of ID.

F.Y.I. It will NOT work flying (out of or into country) period. Land base crossings or closed loop cruise maybe. I think anyone would be crazy to go out of country without a passport IMHO. You can use the Passport card for off ship ID and re-entry into country (not flying). I keep the passport book in the safe (in case, god forbid I gotta fly back) and the card along with credit card and room key in my pocket when in port.

Don't take any chances. Use your passport.

Have a nice trip.

was just in Honduras and Mexico in September. Nobody asked for passports or any kind of ID getting off the ship.

Getting back on just needed my ship card and dl.

Bill

We cruised to Alaska with EDL and had no problems. The only downside is if something happens like sickness or accident and you need leave the cruise to fly back to US from a foreign country the enhanced DL will not be accepted, you will need a passport . We took our chances because we only went to one Canadian port.

Aren't all driver license renewals now " enhanced'?

Not in the sense that the word is used here. I'm in Washington state and have a "regular" drivers license. Applying for an "enhanced" version is largely a separate process (you have to make an appointment and go to one of a few offices in the state that processes them), and appears to me to be far more cumbersome than applying for a passport (which you will likely need anyway). My "take" is this only makes sense if you are regularly driving back and forth to Canada.

was just in Honduras and Mexico in September. Nobody asked for passports or any kind of ID getting off the ship.

Getting back on just needed my ship card and dl.

Bill

This is very true. And, in most (not all) other countries around the world, this is also true while cruising. But, getting back into the U.S. is another story. Or trying to fly out of Honduras or Mexico.

Not in the sense that the word is used here. I'm in Washington state and have a "regular" drivers license. Applying for an "enhanced" version is largely a separate process (you have to make an appointment and go to one of a few offices in the state that processes them), and appears to me to be far more cumbersome than applying for a passport (which you will likely need anyway). My "take" is this only makes sense if you are regularly driving back and forth to Canada.

We got them in 2009 because we had some baseball tournaments in Ontario. They weren't being issued in Burlington (largest city in VT) so we had to drive 50 miles South to Montpelier to get them. We had to bring a certified BC, picture ID and proof that your address was legit like a cable bill or similar. The entire process took about 1/2 hour. This past summer when we booked the cruise we all went and got passports. It's about $25.00 more for an enhanced DL so in VT that makes it $75.00. I would still opt for the passport for any travel other than driving to Canada.

I keep the passport book in the safe (in case, god forbid I gotta fly back) and the card along with credit card and room key in my pocket when in port.

So what happens if, when in port, you miss the ship and have to fly to the next port or home? You won't have the passport in your possession.

So what happens if, when in port, you miss the ship and have to fly to the next port or home? You won't have the passport in your possession.

Good Question,

This is what I do, I keep a copy of the Passport in my wallet when in port. If an emergency occurs, I have been informed that the airlines may accept the copy in lieu of the passport. If not a temporary passport can be issued from the consulate. Expecting an emergency? I would take the passport into port.

I have the enhanced ID. I use it regularly when crossing between Canada and the US. I have tried to use it when cruising (always have my passport as well) - most of the customs agents at the port either don't know what it is, don't care what it is - or I've even been told I could not use it at the port. I would stick with the passport unless you want the hassle.

I have the enhanced ID. I use it regularly when crossing between Canada and the US. I have tried to use it when cruising (always have my passport as well) - most of the customs agents at the port either don't know what it is, don't care what it is - or I've even been told I could not use it at the port. I would stick with the passport unless you want the hassle.

Good to know, thanks!

Archived