Volendam reviews

woodley

Agree with startwin. We loved the Volendam. We were on in July (Alaska) and we felt at home the minute we were aboard. The crew always smiled and acknowledged us as we were passing them. Stewards were wonderful and friendly. I left a note that I use a lot of ice, and I always had fresh ice.

Went to two barbeques by the Lido pool and both were outstanding. One was a steak barbeque and the other Alaskan salmon. Also chicken. Large variety of choices and it was delicious. These were my two favorite meals. Breakfast was also wonderful.

No problems at all and this was one of our favourite cruises.:)

The Volendam is what we believe a ship should be, not too big.!

We were on the same Alaska cruise as Startwin, then stayed on board across the Pacific to Auckland, 36 days in total. Would have liked to have been on board longer, but DH had to return to work!! We had also cruised on her two years and four years ago.

The Captain and crew are marvellous.

Do you have any specific queries about the ship?

We spent 72 days on the Volendam doing both the circumnavigation of Australia in March/April and the Pacific crossing that began in September and was 42 days.

This ship is running really close to the Prinsendam as our favorite ship in the fleet now. The staff is great. We were recognized immediately by some of the staff that was onboard earlier in the year.

The size is nice, not too big, not too small. Open seating seems to run well. Dining room staff was overall excellent! This fall, we were told the crew had just gotten word that they had been rated best overall crew of all the HAL ships for the year. They were quite proud of that and were doing their best to retain that honor!

We had two different CDs and both were very good. We felt the production staff was lacking, but then we tend to not enjoy most of those shows anyway.

Yes, it's not new and glitzy. It will be going into drydock in March (I think) and we were told the the priority was to get new soft goods into the cabins in addition to the external inspections and painting of the hull that needs to be done. There are to be no major internal structural changes according the the hotel manager, who is also very good and personable.

We'd book again in a minute if the itinerary was one we wanted.

to the Ryndam? We are on the Volendam next September LA to Sydney ...we have been on the Ryndam and LOVED her...are they similar in look and lay-out?

The Volendam is very similar to the Ryndam. When you board you will feel as if you know the deckplan.

There are some differences, though. The Volendam has a mid-ship staircase/elevator bank, which is very helpful when you find yourself at that Ryndam "dead end" spot. No backtracking!

The Pinnacle is in a different area. Decor is different, of course.

Everything else is very much the same on most of the S- and R-class ships.

We spent 72 days on the Volendam doing both the circumnavigation of Australia in March/April and the Pacific crossing that began in September and was 42 days.

This ship is running really close to the Prinsendam as our favorite ship in the fleet now. The staff is great. We were recognized immediately by some of the staff that was onboard earlier in the year.

The size is nice, not too big, not too small. Open seating seems to run well. Dining room staff was overall excellent! This fall, we were told the crew had just gotten word that they had been rated best overall crew of all the HAL ships for the year. They were quite proud of that and were doing their best to retain that honor!

We had two different CDs and both were very good. We felt the production staff was lacking, but then we tend to not enjoy most of those shows anyway.

Yes, it's not new and glitzy. It will be going into drydock in March (I think) and we were told the the priority was to get new soft goods into the cabins in addition to the external inspections and painting of the hull that needs to be done. There are to be no major internal structural changes according the the hotel manager, who is also very good and personable.

We'd book again in a minute if the itinerary was one we wanted.

I am glad the staff have been recognised for their hard work, as they are so polite and friendly, and can't do enough for you. They seem to be one very big happy family, and make you feel part of that family.

It will be good to see HAL spend some money on the Volendam, we have just been talking to some people who have sailed on the Volendam quite a few times, and said that it is getting a bit tired. Hopefully the dry dock will take care of that.

I was on the Volendam in September to Alaska, and she's now my new favourite ship? Loved it. What do you want to know?

I would like to know about the spa area, whats included in the spa pass you can purchase. Is it something you can book prior to the cruise or do you have to wait till you board?

Other than that would just like to have any info. that others have experienced while on board.

I would like to know about the spa area, whats included in the spa pass you can purchase. Is it something you can book prior to the cruise or do you have to wait till you board?

Other than that would just like to have any info. that others have experienced while on board.

Sorry, that's one thing I can't help you with.... I never used the spa.

DD and I had passes to the spa on our Inside Passage cruise in September 2009. The area is very tastefully decorated, with separate showers, lockers that hold slippers and a housecoat for your use. The spa itself has heated ceramic loungers that are delicious. The windows are wrap around, so the view is panoramic. I was in the spa when we enterred Glacier Bay, and the mountains were facing us. They were glowing in the sunlight. This is a sight that I hope never to forget. The hot tub is on the small side, will likely hold four or five adults comfortably. There are two saunas; and a couple of showers. The atmosphere is very relaxing. Upon embarkation, I purchased the passes, since the availability is limited. Most often the area was under used; so I'm not certain if this particular week was undersold due to the port intensive itinerary. I will consider some day passes on our Baltic cruise, again due to the itinerary.

Marilyn

The Volendam is very similar to the Ryndam. When you board you will feel as if you know the deckplan.

There are some differences, though. The Volendam has a mid-ship staircase/elevator bank, which is very helpful when you find yourself at that Ryndam "dead end" spot. No backtracking!

The Pinnacle is in a different area. Decor is different, of course.

Everything else is very much the same on most of the S- and R-class ships.

sounds like we will love our time on board..the Ryndam was such a nice size ship!! LuAnn

DD and I had passes to the spa on our Inside Passage cruise in September 2009. The area is very tastefully decorated, with separate showers, lockers that hold slippers and a housecoat for your use. The spa itself has heated ceramic loungers that are delicious. The windows are wrap around, so the view is panoramic. I was in the spa when we enterred Glacier Bay, and the mountains were facing us. They were glowing in the sunlight. This is a sight that I hope never to forget. The hot tub is on the small side, will likely hold four or five adults comfortably. There are two saunas; and a couple of showers. The atmosphere is very relaxing. Upon embarkation, I purchased the passes, since the availability is limited. Most often the area was under used; so I'm not certain if this particular week was undersold due to the port intensive itinerary. I will consider some day passes on our Baltic cruise, again due to the itinerary.

Marilyn

Thanks for the information it was helpful, can you tell me is there a steam room and are the sauna and hot tub co-ed? Do they provide refreshments such as iced water & fruit?

Whilst I haven't had the enjoyment of the spa pass, I have had treatments on the Volendam. They had a lounge area (sort of day beds) and a "buffet" of fresh fruit, tea, juices and flavoured water. I would assume that is you had the spa pass you would have access to this too.l

Which treatments did you purchase. We are on the Rotterdam in Sept.11 for a Baltic cruise, and I had planned to forgo the spa pass for a couple of treatments. Could you recommend a few?

Marilyn

Darn, I just lent my ship stuff to somebody so I can't say for sure. Last cruise I had one of the specials they offered through the cruise. It was $129?, I think it was 1 1/2 hours and it had a facial, body brush, head, back and foot massage. I hope that I have that right. They have had $99 specials where you can pick 3 20 min treatments for that price.

When I went for my treatment I turned up to the front desk and there they gave me a key to a locker which contained a bathrobe and slippers. I had to get changed into that and then go to the waiting area. There I got to recline on the lounges, fill out a form and chat to the therapist looking after me.

Darn, I just lent my ship stuff to somebody so I can't say for sure. Last cruise I had one of the specials they offered through the cruise. It was $129?, I think it was 1 1/2 hours and it had a facial, body brush, head, back and foot massage. I hope that I have that right. They have had $99 specials where you can pick 3 20 min treatments for that price.

When I went for my treatment I turned up to the front desk and there they gave me a key to a locker which contained a bathrobe and slippers. I had to get changed into that and then go to the waiting area. There I got to recline on the lounges, fill out a form and chat to the therapist looking after me.

We have a long day in port at Warnemunde. Hopefully, there will be some specials to take advantage of. I had a body scrub followed by a chocolate/cherry scented wrap at my esthticians last year, and would like to try the lime and ginger scrub treatment offerred by the Greenhouse spa. So many things to look forward to,

Marilyn

Archived