Marina- Lecture Series

Mparis184

I am interested in knowing about the entertainment and the lectures on the Marina - does anyone have any information?

I always look forward to the lecture series and would like to know what will be going on for their TA Maiden Voyage.

Marion

I have never seen any advertised before the cruise on O .

It would be nice if they could add that to the Cruise booklet not that it matters at that point but nice to know what lecturers will be onboard.

Some Cruise lines advertise it well in advance

Lyn

Yes Lyn, I would think they have to be booked well in advance. It doesn't matter but I would like to know what is scheduled ahead of time.

From a marketing point of view I believe a good lecture series would help book cabins, especially on Transarlantic cruises.

Marion

Yes Lyn, I would think they have to be booked well in advance. It doesn't matter but I would like to know what is scheduled ahead of time.

From a marketing point of view I believe a good lecture series would help book cabins, especially on Transarlantic cruises.

Marion

I agree

Some may take an previous itinerary just for the guest lecturer or events as in the Jacque Pepin cruises or wine tasting.

Regent have a spotlight on chocolate cruises or a Jazz cruises

Anyone listening??? :D

Lyn

Just to be negative, our experience with TAs (quite limited actually) has been that there are even FEWER lecturers than on regular cruises. I remember that we had two excellent lecturers on our Panama Canal cruise on Regatta back in 2003 ... but very little on our TA in March 2009.

They do seem to do more cooking demos on the TAs ... unless I'm remembering wrong which is entirely possible.

Having said all that, I'm going to correct myself. The TA where we had zilch in the lecture department was on NCL this past April. I was very surprised that they had NOTHING scheduled. Lots of bingo and lottery games ... but almost nothing in terms of enrichment. But NCL doesn't begin to compare to O ...

As for as Oceania goes, I think we've been a tad disappointed on some of our cruises since that Panama Canal cruise because the lecturers were so excellent on that cruise. They've never come up to that level since ... but we are far from being experts on this subject. While we have done 6 Oceania cruises, and 3 on Renaissance before that, we don't even average one Oceania cruise a year.

I agree

Some may take an previous itinerary just for the guest lecturer or events as in the Jacque Pepin cruises or wine tasting.

Regent have a spotlight on chocolate cruises or a Jazz cruises

Anyone listening??? :D

Lyn

I remember someone wrote about a "Spotlight on Chocolate" cruise that didn't have any spotlight on chocolate. Wasn't that on Regent?

On our other 2 Oceania TA cruises we had an Oceanographer (last year on the Regatta) and on the Insigna the lecture series was about the history of jewelry and both were excellent.

My husband was not interested in the jewelry lectures but it was a good history lesson, very informative and presented well.

Marion

Though both of these lecturers may have been very interesting they seem extremely specific in their scope. I would suggest lecturers who might appeal to a broader base, especially on a TA where you need diversion on all those sea days.

We had a series about baseball on one of our TAs. I never went until the end but did listen to some on the TV he was an excellent speaker but I was surprised at the topic. I suppose it was designed to appeal to at least 50% of the passengers......

Mo

We had a series about baseball on one of our TAs. I never went until the end but did listen to some on the TV he was an excellent speaker but I was surprised at the topic. I suppose it was designed to appeal to at least 50% of the passengers......
Was David Shermet the CD? I believe he was a pro baseball player & therefore would have insider contacts. I wouldn't have guessed that 50% of the passengers would be interested in lectures on baseball!

To tell you the truth the History of Jewelry didn't interest me. I had nothing else to do one afternoon and started to attend. I got hooked. No, they weren't selling anything but I guess they got a free cruise out of it. I was surprised they booked this couple because the topic had such a narrow appeal.

Marion

I was surprised they booked this couple because the topic had such a narrow appeal.

We had the same reaction when the lecture topic was piracy (and after the Nautica incident, yet!) but the lecturers were a delightful couple, and we wound up learning a thing or two.

Well, slight exageration, but I was figuring on most of the men and some of the women. In fact his lectures were very well attended, and the popularity increased as the cruise went on. As i recall tha last one was standing room only.

He was one of those people who can make you interested in things you never had the slightest interest in before. Here in Canada on CBC radio we have a show called Ideas and it ranges over everything from highly intellectual academic subjects to very common everday topics, and all are fascinating.

Mo

Archived