? on independent land tour

GORDONCHICK

We are looking at possibly doing a one-way cruise, probably in late May. My thought is to rent a car (we have DS who will have just turned 10 at that point) and drive around for 4-5 days. I know Denali is of interest to DH. What else would be good for us to see at that time of year with DS? Also looking for suggestions on places to stay, etc.

We did a RT inside passage cruise in Sept of 2007 and really enjoyed it. Would love to see a little inland and much further north than we got then. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Will you depart from Whittier or Seward?

Assuming you arrive in Anc on Day 1, does your ship depart on Day 5 ? Trying to determine exactly how much time you have to work with.

We don't know if we are doing the land trip or the cruise first. But roughly 4-5 days in Alaska on land.

Besides Denali, you need to head to Homer. One of my two favorite places in the entire world.

A couple of days there shows you a town that is basically unspoiled Alaska. Great scenery, halibut fishing, trips to the little islands/nooks and crannies in Katchemak Bay, friendly people, relatively inexpensive lodging, a Safeway store and post office that has more "true" Alaska items than the gift shops and good food at the local places.

This isn't a lot of time. :) Homer and Seward would be a suggestion, and adding Mat Su for a day/partial day for touring. You would not have time for Denali Park.

If you are looking at Denali park, that means 3 days. Homer is a 2 night stop, in my opinion, nothing less. :) An ideal routing would be to get a Seward ship- and have a touring day in Seward, then continue with Denali park.

With a May timeframe AND if you include Denali Park, you want to look only at northbound cruises.

We are seriously looking at the May 22 sailing on HAL Statendam, which departs from Vancouver. Does it help that we're looking at late May for the land part?

We have a really tight window of when we can go between DS' school, DH's work, and a wedding we have to be home for. As it is with the above cruise, DS will miss the last 2-3 days of school anyway.

We are seriously looking at the May 22 sailing on HAL Statendam, which departs from Vancouver. Does it help that we're looking at late May for the land part?

We have a really tight window of when we can go between DS' school, DH's work, and a wedding we have to be home for. As it is with the above cruise, DS will miss the last 2-3 days of school anyway.

"Help"??? It is necessary that you look at a northbound trip IF you want to include Denali Park, Have you determined that? If you aren't going to Denali, the direction doesn't matter.

DH really wants to see Denali, but since I showed him lodging prices for the area, he's not so sure. I'd really like to see Homer. If we didn't make it to Denali, what are some other good land options. Looks like we'd disembark 5/29 and not fly home until 6/3 or 6/4.

DH really wants to see Denali, but since I showed him lodging prices for the area, he's not so sure. I'd really like to see Homer. If we didn't make it to Denali, what are some other good land options. Looks like we'd disembark 5/29 and not fly home until 6/3 or 6/4.

Lodging is going to be in the same ballpark, in Alaska, including Homer.

So now you have 7 days???????????? Makes a difference on recommendations.

Lodging is going to be in the same ballpark, in Alaska, including Homer.

So now you have 7 days???????????? Makes a difference on recommendations.

So $300 a night is the norm for Alaska? If that's the case, DH will probably want to go back to a RT inside passage cruise....

And I count 5 nights if we leave on 6/3, and 5/29 wouldn't be a whole day to explore.

Thanks for your help anyway.

So $300 a night is the norm for Alaska? If that's the case, DH will probably want to go back to a RT inside passage cruise....

"Norm" for cruise passengers maybe. You can definitely find well under $300/night near Denali, depending on what type of lodging. You need a rental car in order to get the better prices and better lodging options away from "Glitter Gulch" near Denali.

And I count 5 nights if we leave on 6/3, and 5/29 wouldn't be a whole day to explore.

You can certainly pay $300, but that would be your choice. Do some checking on your own. The Denali Chamber of Commerce provides a list on their web site. ( Aspen Haus, McKinley Creekside Cabins are all around $175 for 3 people, as are most others.) http://denalichamber.com/plugins/yellowpages/yellowpages.php?1.1

You can pay $300 if you want. This list is on the Denali Chamber of Commerce web site. (Aspen haus, Lakeview are around $175 for 3, as are most others). http://denalichamber.com/plugins/yellowpages/yellowpages.php?1.1

If you want to keep it at 3 nights you can easily fit in a trip to Denali. Homer is about 4 hrs from Seward.

I don't know where you are looking for hotel rooms in Alaska, but there are MANY, MANY bargains for considerably less than $300 per night. Just for kicks and giggles, I googled Alaska hotels-Denali and came up with quite a few bargains for your time frame. $149.00 per night from May 29-June 1 for 2 adults and 1 child at the McKinley Chalet, $189 at the Grand Denali and even a 2 night package at the Denali Princess for $412.00 (you have to leave the morning of the 31st). I won't stay at the Denali Princess but I sure love the Grand Denali.

In Homer, the BEST lodging bargain is at the Sea Lion. Less than $150 per night and simply spectacular views. Book very early-there are only two rooms and they go fast. http://www.sealiongallery.com/cove/

Just got to do a little more research. There is a lot of decently priced lodging in Alaska.

The Grand Denali Lodge is a fantastic place to stay in the Denali area. In May of this year, we spent two night there, for $149. per night. My TA suggested this as opposed to the Princess Lodge. Front desk staff were very helpful, took care of booking a rafting trip for us, and arranged transportation for our day in Denali. We dined in their restaurant one evening and had a wonderful meal. Their restaurant also put together lunches for our trip in Denali so we could avoid the line at Subway.

The view from our room of the canyon and river below was spectacular.

Darcy

I don't know where you are looking for hotel rooms in Alaska, but there are MANY, MANY bargains for considerably less than $300 per night. Just for kicks and giggles, I googled Alaska hotels-Denali and came up with quite a few bargains for your time frame. $149.00 per night from May 29-June 1 for 2 adults and 1 child at the McKinley Chalet, $189 at the Grand Denali and even a 2 night package at the Denali Princess for $412.00 (you have to leave the morning of the 31st). I won't stay at the Denali Princess but I sure love the Grand Denali.

I don't know where you guys are getting the rates for the Grande Denali because when I put in 5/29 & 5/30, it's $299 per night for the three of us. It's $209 per night at Denali Bluffs for the 3 of us. $224 per night for the McKinley Chalet. Do you guys have discount codes or something?

Carmen, the rate I received for the Grand Denali was through my TA, a cruise only TA. I know that many on these boards are vocal about being in control of their bookings, but when I can obtain rates that low, I stick with a TA. He was able to obtain similar rates for the entire eight nights at a variety of very nice hotels on our road trip prior to our Princess cruise in late May and the post cruise hotel in Vancouver, too.

Try contacting the hotels directly rather than using the online booking system. I tend to have better luck doing that, though the TA always manages to beat me $.

Darcy

I don't know where you guys are getting the rates for the Grande Denali because when I put in 5/29 & 5/30, it's $299 per night for the three of us. It's $209 per night at Denali Bluffs for the 3 of us. $224 per night for the McKinley Chalet. Do you guys have discount codes or something?

If you go thru the "specials" on the Aramark web page you get the Discover Denali package for one night at the Chalet for around $315 for two people for the room and 2 tickets on the TWT (the is a REALLY good bargain). If you add an extra night, it's another $120 for the room.

Alternatives with a rental car are for lodging in Healy where rooms can be had at local hotels or B&B's for around $100-$150 per night.

Well you mentioned 6-4, and sorry, but you certainly can have the "whole" day of 5/29, if you choose to. It will be up to you how you wish to use this day, certainly you can "relax". But I would encourage you to make the most of it, especially with your listed priorities you wish to include.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, best laid plans...... We couldn't work everything out to do a one-way then land trip, so this morning, DH booked a RT out of Seattle. Thanks for everyone's help, and I will tuck these mental notes away because one day we will do the one-way cruise/land trip!

Another suggestion is to look at B&Bs. You get your breakfast covered, and prices can be more reasonable.

One lodging that I have seen mentioned on these boards for those wanting inexpensive lodging around Denali is the Nord Haven. The website is showing $110 for two queens for May 1 through June 2. If my memory serves me right, BQ has recommended it, but I stand to be corrected if my memory failed me. ;)

http://www.motelnordhaven.com/rooms.htm2

The webpage says the rates include tax.

Archived