BOA Visa double points ending soon

BroncosFan2010

We just called Bank of America to switch our Royal Caribbean Visa to a Celebrity Visa. It appears that they don't have the Celebrity credit card anymore. However, they are keeping the Royal Caribbean Visa. We were quite bummed about this, but will probably choose a cash back card instead. I was wondering if this affected any of you who currently have and use the Celebrity credit card?

Interesting, we currently have both accounts and our Celebrity VISA account is still active. But when I tried to visit the rewards page for the account it would not load and just sat there. I have quite a few points still outstanding that I would like to either transfer to the RCCL VISA or they can pay me the equivalent value in cash. I will have to call BOA and see what they are offering. Also, I was unable to find any active reference to a Celebrity credit card on the Celebrity website.

Hypo

We spent about 2 hours on the phone with BofA and were transferred to several different people "up the chain" and were assured that this card is not longer offered. We were also unable to find any information on the Celebrity Website or the BofA website (however, the RCCL card is still there). We will most likely never cruise RCCL again, so we are unsure what we will do with our leftover rewards, although there are not many since we used most on our B2B RCCL cruise this past summer.

I have the Celebrity Visa and haven't received any notification either. I was hoping to use this card for double points for onboard expenses in December but may want to reconsider if there is no value to the points anymore :mad: Credit card companies seem to have license to do whatever they like.

This is from the RCI card terms, I imagine the wording on the Celebrity terms was similar.

As of April 01, 2010, the Program has no predetermined termination date and may continue until such time as Royal

Caribbean International decides, in its sole discretion to terminate the Program. Royal Caribbean International may terminate

the Program at any time with or without personal notice to you. Cardholders will have seven (7) months from the date Royal

Caribbean International announces the termination of the Program to redeem Royal Points for Rewards. In the case of

termination of the Program, you may continue earning Royal Points for ninety (90) days from the date Royal Caribbean

International announces the termination of the Program. Requests for redemption of Royal Points must be received by

us within seven (7) months from the date Royal Caribbean International announces the termination of the Program.

I just tried to access the rewards redemption website via my account. I went to the rewards tab, then chose the Celebrity ship tab as usual, and the page would never load.

So I tried going directly to http://www.managerewardsonline.bankofamerica.com which has worked in the past, and got a "please accept our apologies" message with the 800 number to call to get to BoA.

Have called that number and the agent there said that the "World Points" office doesn't open until 9 a.m. Eastern Time but she said that she had no information to indicate that the program has suddenly been ended. She said that she could redeem points for cash, but that travel or other rewards would be under the "World Points" division and to speak with them in a few hours. Will report back.

I would rather have the OBC than the cash, but if the program is in fact terminated, I'll be cashing out my points and canceling this card, as I imagine many of you will, too.

Here's my experience with my BOA X Credit Card.

I was able to open all tabs on the BOA Webpage.

I called X and was told:

An email was sent out to Cust. Svc. that there will be no new X BOA Credit Card Accts opened. Existing accts are not affected. No indication given if existing accts will be affected in the future.

We have 5,000 points that will be added to our account at the end of this billing period. It will give us enough points to get $250 OBC.

As soon as the points are posted we plan to get the $250 OBC credited to our acct for our Jan Century Cruise. Then we won't use the card again.

Keep in mind - the credit card itself is not in jeopardy - just the X point program (which is why we got this card in the first place - oh, well).

Look forward to hearing what information other posters have been given.

Guess I need to go book a CRUISE! I have way too many points to just be sitting there! :)

I for sure hope Celebrity does honor current card holders, but it does beg the question of how long will they honor points towards cruises/upgrade/OBC's. With no new cards being issued and many cards cancelled or not utilized because the reason for the card is suspect now.

We just called Bank of America to switch our Royal Caribbean Visa to a Celebrity Visa. It appears that they don't have the Celebrity credit card anymore. However, they are keeping the Royal Caribbean Visa. We were quite bummed about this, but will probably choose a cash back card instead. I was wondering if this affected any of you who currently have and use the Celebrity credit card?

After reading your post, I checked on my Celebrity American Express card rewards. I was able to redeem an OBC with no problem. I don't know if you specifically wanted a Visa card.

Others that have a Celebrity American Express card can rest easy. (at least for today :rolleyes:)

Have called that number and the agent there said that the "World Points" office doesn't open until 9 a.m. Eastern Time but she said that she had no information to indicate that the program has suddenly been ended. She said that she could redeem points for cash, but that travel or other rewards would be under the "World Points" division and to speak with them in a few hours. Will report back.

I think (hope) that is the deal - everything is switching to "World Points".

Which is actually better, IMO, since I spread my cruise dollars around, and World Points lets you spend the points for OBC on several lines. That said, I am currently saving points for OBC on an X cruise for Feb 2011, so I hope my analysis is correct.

I went on line & accessed my BofA account, went into World Point Rewards where I saw my points and X rewards also. I am referring to the Celebrity Visa card issued & maintained by BofA. So I don't know if they just are not issuing new cards but mine is still good. I use it for just about everything including "Greenies" for my dog so I continue to get my points for my cruise. Hope you can speak with a "supervisor" and get this settled once & for all. Good luck!

Happy Cruising!

Faith :confused:

I've been letting my points accumulate for a while. Since I now prepay my gratuities, I don't run up that large a bill. With my shareholders and T/A OBC, I've been covered.

That being said, in the past, you could redeem your points for straight cash once you had over $250. That would be my plan, at this point. I have a RCCL Visa and a Celebrity Amex. Actually, we have 2 of each; we each opened an account to get more sign up bonus. :D

I have both VISA cards, still active. Made claims recently on both no problem with either. X gave me a $750 discount off my cruise and $150 OBC. RCI gave me $150 discount and $150 OBC. No problem with either.

They may no longer be taking new accounts.

I redeemed points on both cards today, as well. I don't want to take any chances of loosing points. My Celebrity AMEX and VISA both have an expiration date in 2013. Over the years I have not had the best experience with FIA services who is the third party vendor for BOA. There was a time a year or so ago where we were unable to redeem AMEX points. There were several threads about it. I wonder if the Celebrity cards will be phased out...or if they will be picked up with another bank. A customer rep. from FIA did say they are not very popular cards so maybe FIA or BOA is the one to phase them out.

My update as promised. Have spent two frustrating hours on phone with various personnel from BoA and WorldPoints, who all seem to be more interested in transferring me to someone else rather than understanding my problem.

Have learned that from now forward there will be no new branded BoA Visa cards. This is true not just for Celebrity but Norwegian and other affinity cards as well.

Current cards work fine for purchasing items. They are not canceling the cards (for now).

No word on if they are still giving double points for purchases made with Celebrity.

Have been unable to redeem my points for OBC. The website freezes up when I try to choose that option. Nobody at BoA or WorldPoints can tell me when the problem might be fixed.

When I try to go directly to the WorldPoints website, I get an "apology message" and cannot access the site.

Everyone I spoke to at WorldPoints says that points can only be redeemed for OBC via the website, not by speaking in person to a representative by phone. But when the website is not working, there seems to be no "Plan B."

So as near as I can tell, there will be no new X Visa cards. Those of us with cards can use them to buy things, and redeeming points is problematic at this moment.

My update as promised. Have spent two frustrating hours on phone with various personnel from BoA and WorldPoints, who all seem to be more interested in transferring me to someone else rather than understanding my problem.

Have learned that from now forward there will be no new branded BoA Visa cards. This is true not just for Celebrity but Norwegian and other affinity cards as well.

Current cards work fine for purchasing items. They are not canceling the cards (for now).

No word on if they are still giving double points for purchases made with Celebrity.

Have been unable to redeem my points for OBC. The website freezes up when I try to choose that option. Nobody at BoA or WorldPoints can tell me when the problem might be fixed.

When I try to go directly to the WorldPoints website, I get an "apology message" and cannot access the site.

Everyone I spoke to at WorldPoints says that points can only be redeemed for OBC via the website, not by speaking in person to a representative by phone. But when the website is not working, there seems to be no "Plan B."

So as near as I can tell, there will be no new X Visa cards. Those of us with cards can use them to buy things, and redeeming points is problematic at this moment.

Not sure why you're having problems with the site. I went onto the WorldPoints assoc. with my BoA account and just redeemed 3 vouchers for OBC. I got a confirmation immediately.

Jo-Ann

Not sure why you're having problems with the site. I went onto the WorldPoints assoc. with my BoA account and just redeemed 3 vouchers for OBC. I got a confirmation immediately.

Jo-Ann

Can you explain precisely how you went about getting OBC? I have had the same experience as the previous poster--cannot get OBC. It wants to sell me all sorts of RCI cruises instead. If I wanted RCI cruises, I'd have the RCI card. Grrrrrrr!

Hi Everyone !

I asked the question to Celebrity today. Here is their reply - I hope this helps :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently, Celebrity Cruises has no plans to accept new applications for the Celebrity Rewards Visa credit card.

Celebrity Cruises and Bank of America continue to service existing Celebrity credit card accounts. For redemption and reward information, please visit http://www.bankofamerica.com/worldpoints and log in with your Celebrity Rewards account. Click on the Celebrity Cruises box on the bottom right of the page.

WorldPoints earned from the Celebrity Rewards Visa credit card continue to be non-transferable to the Royal Caribbean credit card.

The credit card program remains the same.

Hi Everyone !

I asked the question to Celebrity today. Here is their reply - I hope this helps :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently, Celebrity Cruises has no plans to accept new applications for the Celebrity Rewards Visa credit card.

Celebrity Cruises and Bank of America continue to service existing Celebrity credit card accounts. For redemption and reward information, please visit www.bankofamerica.com/worldpoints and log in with your Celebrity Rewards account. Click on the Celebrity Cruises box on the bottom right of the page.

WorldPoints earned from the Celebrity Rewards Visa credit card continue to be non-transferable to the Royal Caribbean credit card.

The credit card program remains the same.

Thanks for the update.

Archived