Two Passengers Three Seats

Mt Lassen

I am considering buying three seats for DW and I to get to our cruise next year. I am tall, 6"4", but not hefty. In the past when I have been lucky enough to have an empty middle seat next to me I have been able to angle my legs to the center when the seat in front of me is reclined. On short flights I just deal with it, longer flights are another story. When I flew for business and had "status" with the airlines I was usually able to get an upgrade to first or business. I have also been able to get discounted or "instant upgrades" to first class, but domestic first class doesn't amount to much except for a bigger seat. The food isn't good and the included drinks don't justify the extra expense. So, the question is has anyone bought three seats and then had an issue with the airline with regard to involuntary bumping on oversold flights? I plan to travel on Thanksgiving weekend, either SMF-TPA or RNO-TPA. This will not be on an airline with open seating.

It's done all the time - but you'll have to buy the tickets on the phone and not online, so that the airline can show it as "XTRA SEAT" or whatever nomenclature the specific airline uses. You won't get FF miles for the seat, but you might be able to save something on taxes - be sure to ask. Then when you appear at the airport be sure the check-in and gate agents know what you're doing, so they don't treat the third seat as a standby resource.

Then when you appear at the airport be sure the check-in and gate agents know what you're doing, so they don't treat the third seat as a standby resource.

So true. A friend bought an extra seat once and the airline tried three times to put someone in that seat because they were overbooked. But the seat was rightfully his. Definitely stand your ground.

So true. A friend bought an extra seat once and the airline tried three times to put someone in that seat because they were overbooked. But the seat was rightfully his. Definitely stand your ground.

Hmmm...In this case "sit" your ground...spread out..and don't budge !!!

Instead of buying an additional seat, consider flying United and purchasing Economy Plus seating. This will give you extra legroom without the extra seat purchase or having to pay the full up charge to first class.

Instead of buying an additional seat, consider flying United and purchasing Economy Plus seating. This will give you extra legroom without the extra seat purchase or having to pay the full up charge to first class.

The only way your going to "really" have extra room on UA Economy + is to be in the first row just behind business class..I was lucky enough this past Aug roundtrip LAX-LHR to have had those coveted seats...So much legroom I could barely touch the wall in front of me...;):D

Contact the airline you plan to use and ask their policy for purchasing an extra seat. They all have such a policy, because they can require an oversize passenger to purchase such a seat. When I asked USAirways about their policy, they were quick to respond with exactly what to do to purchase such a seat on their flights, including how to "name" the seat.

David

More and more we are becoming fans of buying the extra seat. So far I have been able to do this on both USAir and Delta with no problems. It is definitely a plus with the way flights are oversold most of the time.

I purchased the extra seats both times online and then called the appropriate airline and had them "link" the reservation. So far I've only actually flown with USAir. We did get questioned about the empty seat, showed them our boarding passes and all was well. Be sure that the extra seat is checked in and scanned at the gate. We did get a few envious stares from those "squished" around us.

I think it's on Southwest -- if you buy an extra seat and the flight is not full -- they will refund the price you paid for the extra seat. You might call them.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I think that may apply only if they require a person of size to buy the extra seat and then the flight isn't full. I would definitely call to clarify, but I think if you willingly purchase an extra seat in advance they won't refund that.

Archived