Declare and limits

Sn1ps

We are going to eastern carribean and have a couple questions. Should we delcare our jewlry and electronics before we leave so we can prove we had it before we left? Also, what is the limit in carribean on purchases? Saw in gov site that it was $800 per person, including 2 liters of alcoholic each.

Nope..no need. No one really cares.

Unless they were recent purchases and of significant value. In such cases it might be advisable to carry receipts for those items or some proof that they were yours prior to the cruise. Not likely that you will be questioned but Murphy's Law sometimes applies and better safe than sorry. You've already checked the government website so information you get here won't be more reliable and, in fact, might not be as accurate.

If you visit one of the US virgin Islands you have an addtional 800.00 making your total 1600.00. you can also bring back 4 liters of Alcohol..however of that 1600, 800 has to be from purchases made in the US Virgin Islands and 2 of the liters of alcohol has to have been purchased in the US Virgin ISlands...

At least that is how I understood it when I was on the FOS last week...

If you visit St Thomas the limit for puchases is doubled and the alcohol allowance is considerably higher. 5 liters per person but 1 liter must be made and purhcased in the Virgin Islands. Cruzan rum is made there and that's what we typically purchase. That said, we have never been questioned regarding where we purchased the alcohol we declared on our customs declaration. Bon Voyage!

I was questioned by a customs officer on our Freedom cruise as to when I bought my watch. I had purchased it on a prior cruise and always keep the duty paid receipt with my passport.

After a quick peek at the paperwork we were on our way. I always pay duty - it's not that much and could avoid a big embarrassment (and possible fine).

When I was paying the duty, they mentioned they catch people all the time.

I take my laptop with me & the first time I did this I took it to Canadian Customs before leaving country and they gave me a form. sure enough, I was questioned at customs on our return trip and I produced the green customs form. I also did this with our new camera. It can save a lot of headaches

I forgot to claim my ring on the last cruise because I had one similar to it when I went there and simply traded up and didn't even think about it when we went through customs. We told them about my DH's watch and various other purchases. They looked at the form, looked at us, said "have a nice day" and that was that :D

Archived