How is mini-suite billed for 3 adults?

fletcher57

Hi, I'm in the beginning stages of planning for an Alaska cruise or cruise tour. I've found a person who wants to join me. She now says that she would like to invite her adult daughter so we would probably need to book a suite or a mini-suite. So my question is: how is a mini-suite billed if there are three adults in it? Does each pay a third of what the total would be for two-person occupancy, do two people each pay half, or do all three of us get billed for the normal "per person double occupancy" amount? Also, am I correct to assume that suites tend to fill up faster than balcony rooms?. Thanks. Joyce

Suites tend to go fast simply because there are fewer of them.

As for pricing, the cruise line will price the first two people at full fare and the third person at reduced fare. It is up to the group as to how to split the costs, but consider that the first two people get the real beds and the third gets the upper bunk or the folding sofa. If the group decides to share costs equally, make sure all agree on how to handle any pricing changes if one person should have to cancel.

If the first 2 people are $1000 each, and the third is $500 (just tossing numbers around, no idea if that's a reasonable number for the third person), then you guys have to decided how to split that $2500 between the 3 of you. If 2 of you are fine paying the full amount and the third person is fine sleeping on the sofa bed or bunk, then that's how you would pay it. If you all want to share the bed space over the course of the cruise, then you would need to figure out a fair cut of the cost for each person that way. Regardless how you do it amongst yourselves, 2 of you will be billed as first/second and the other will be billed as the third from Princess. They won't divide or average out the cost for you.

Also make sure you have cancellation insurance, and that your cabin mates do as well. Because they are family, many of the likely scenarios that would cause one of them to cancel likely would cause the other to as well, and in this case, leaves you sailing solo, and getting billed from Princess as such (meaning, 2x your fare), even though Princess also gets to keep their fares.

As Pam mentioned above, as far as your shipboard accounts go, you each just submit your own credit card info and it's tied to your sail and sign card (room key).

Also, in your original post you refer to both mini-suites and suites. These are totally different types of cabins, and shouldn't be confused. Mini-suites are basically balcony cabins with a bathtub and sitting area (and a larger balcony than all but the top grade balcony cabins).

Hi, I'm in the beginning stages of planning for an Alaska cruise or cruise tour. I've found a person who wants to join me. She now says that she would like to invite her adult daughter so we would probably need to book a suite or a mini-suite. So my question is: how is a mini-suite billed if there are three adults in it? Does each pay a third of what the total would be for two-person occupancy, do two people each pay half, or do all three of us get billed for the normal "per person double occupancy" amount? Also, am I correct to assume that suites tend to fill up faster than balcony rooms?. Thanks. Joyce

No, there is a charge for the third person in the stateroom, no matter what stateroom category you book. So, it will bring the price up. The fairest way to do this would be to get the total for three, and split the cost three ways, that way the first two will have a slightly reduced rate as the third berth passenger will have originally. BTW-the third person in the stateroom will also have to pay port fees and government taxes also, just like the first two. But whatever you all decide to be fair, would be the way to handle this, IMHO!

Archived