Where to Stay in San Juan PR

Bailey & Sophie

We've stayed at the Caribe Hilton a couple of times... it's not walking distance to OSJ but it's REALLY close! A lot of people stay at the hotel that's right across the port in OSJ but I've never stayed there. We like the Hilton because it has a nice pool & beach area. We also enjoy the onsite steakhouse.

First you really have to decide if you want to stay in Old San Juan or at one of the hotels on, or near, the beach (more modern area). A friend of mine once wisely said, before our first overnight stay there, that you'll see some of the best beaches in the Caribbean on your cruise, much nicer than those in San Juan area, but you won't see any other place like Old San Juan.

Here is a post I made a while back discussing this a little more which mentioned a few hotels: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=20241175&posted=1#post20241175

We've stayed at the Caribe Hilton a couple of times... it's not walking distance to OSJ but it's REALLY close! A lot of people stay at the hotel that's right across the port in OSJ but I've never stayed there. We like the Hilton because it has a nice pool & beach area. We also enjoy the onsite steakhouse.

We have stayed at the Caribe Hilton Also, depending on your health (physical fitness) it is within walking distance of town. It is also a very nice walk along the coast and you can go by both forts. I would not walk it close to dark but we felt as safe as we do in any city and saw many others walking it. Because it's probably a mile+ and you will want to walk around the city so decide if you are fit enough.

We have also stayed at the Milano which is right downtown on a great street. Really good restaurants nearby, believe 1 street over. We really enjoyed this hotel.

Please note, San Juan has many hotels where you may not get a window in the room, or a real small window (not an escape route). I have never had this happen in the States but we have had 3 hotels in Puerto Rico that had no alternative escape route out of the room other than the door.

Also, Taxi's are easy to get, and the bus system isn't hard just on Island Time :).

Enjoy San Juan!!

We're going on our 2nd cruise with Celebrity. First on Summit, now on Millennium.

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Old San Juan?

Thanks!!

Another suggestion is to hop over to the San Juan Forum. There

are lots and lots of threads over there with hotel offerings.:)

I recomend El Convento in OSJ.

It's very centrally located, in a nice, safe area. It's VERY walkable, you can walk all of OSJ in about 20-30 minutes. It's located a short skip away from some nice shops (check out the marshalls, it was like NOTHING we've seen in the continental USA), restaurants, and all of the attractions.

Somebody mentioned you can walk from th beach disctrict if you are physically fit. Not sure how much experience this person has in SJ, however, when the mercury rises, it makes it hard to walk a block, not to mention anything more. The weather in SJ is VERY hot, muggy, humid. Making it hard to walk very far. We walked around OSJ regularly and almost always seemed to break a sweat, mind you it was very hot.

Check out El Convento , you won't regret it, theres a reason its number 1 on TA

Thanks for all the replies.

Last year we stayed at the Caribe and really want to stay in OSJ. The walk from the Caribe to OSJ was not bad, but we are walkers and hikers.

We're not beach people, so giving up the Caribe, although lovely, is no big deal for us.

I'll check out the hotels people post and also hop over to the San Juan board.

Only 10 weeks.....

I can't find this forum. Where is it? Can someone provide a link?

Thanks!

Hi,:) go the bottom of this page and it will say "Forum Jump'......

Scroll all the way down to the ports of call and they are in

alphabetical order.

The Ports of Call are all listed, from the Caribbean to Europe to Alaska:D

One more thought: St. Thomas!

We've stayed in San Juan pre-cruise several times and have always enjoyed our stays there. I highly recommend staying in Old San Juan for anyone who hasn't been there or hasn't stayed in San Juan much before for the reasons stated in my post above (#3 in this thread). With that said on our last cruise from San Juan we just wanted to stay on a beach some place for a change this trip. We were ready to book one of the the beach resorts in San Juan when on a whim I checked the airfare to St. Thomas and found it was actually a few dollars cheaper to fly to St. Thomas, then St. Thomas to San Juan for our cruise and then home from San Juan afterwards. It is only about 60 or 70 miles, airport to airport, between the islands so the trip on embarkation day is pretty short.

Thanks for all the replies.

Last year we stayed at the Caribe and really want to stay in OSJ. The walk from the Caribe to OSJ was not bad, but we are walkers and hikers.

We're not beach people, so giving up the Caribe, although lovely, is no big deal for us.

I'll check out the hotels people post and also hop over to the San Juan board.

Only 10 weeks.....

Clearly the #1 place to stay in Old San Juan is El Convento. But it is very expensive and merits at least a couple nights so you have time to enjoy the place. Call direct (not online) to see if they have a cruise rate special. For a more economical place to stay we've stayed at Hotel Milano which we found pretty basic but nice and clean. The location is very central and don't pay extra for a street view room unless you enjoy a lot of partying and traffic noise late at night.

One more thought: St. Thomas!

We've stayed in San Juan pre-cruise several times and have always enjoyed our stays there. I highly recommend staying in Old San Juan for anyone who hasn't been there or hasn't stayed in San Juan much before for the reasons stated in my post above (#3 in this thread). With that said on our last cruise from San Juan we just wanted to stay on a beach some place for a change this trip. We were ready to book one of the the beach resorts in San Juan when on a whim I checked the airfare to St. Thomas and found it was actually a few dollars cheaper to fly to St. Thomas, then St. Thomas to San Juan for our cruise and then home from San Juan afterwards. It is only about 60 or 70 miles, airport to airport, between the islands so the trip on embarkation day is pretty short.

Clearly the #1 place to stay in Old San Juan is El Convento. But it is very expensive and merits at least a couple nights so you have time to enjoy the place. Call direct (not online) to see if they have a cruise rate special. For a more economical place to stay we've stayed at Hotel Milano which we found pretty basic but nice and clean. The location is very central and don't pay extra for a street view room unless you enjoy a lot of partying and traffic noise late at night.

Larry, as always good advice

Srpilo

Clearly the #1 place to stay in Old San Juan is El Convento. But it is very expensive and merits at least a couple nights so you have time to enjoy the place. Call direct (not online) to see if they have a cruise rate special.

I agree Larry. We stayed pre-cruise at El Convento and it is really very nice.

In March we stayed at the airport hotel since we were in really late. It was definitely nothing special, but just good to be able to go straight to bed.

On our upcoming cruise we are staying at the At Wind Chimes in Condado. It was the most reasonable price I could find online and has decent reviews.

Archived