Looking for Excursion Advice on Coral Panama Canal Transit

sirrah231

We will be sailing on our first cruise this March through the Panama Canal. I've begun browsing through the excursion information ... but I have found this whole cruise planning process to be totally overwhelming. I love travel planning and we usually make all of our own arrangements ourselves. We're not huge fans of the tour bus routine ... am I assuming correctly that when I read "air-conditioned transport" that's cruise code for bus?

Any advice on which princess-sponsored excursions are must-sees, which ports have plenty to do w/out booking an excursion and if there are any private tours/excursions we should look into.

We're not huge on shopping or laying on the beach. We love art, architecture and history. Love eating, of course! Am really hoping to do some cultural exploration. Are fine on walking tours and can do some hiking, but not anything terrible strenuous.

Thanks in advance for the advice ...

We just finished a cruise with a partial transit. The story is on our website http://www.stevekathytravels.com We opted for the dome train trip in Panama, but unfortunately, it was canceled because of heavy rains.

I did a full transit years ago with my late wife, and would be happy to e-mail you the story. My e-mail address is highlandpark@mindspring.com

We did the partial this last Feb. and my favorite port was Cartagena. The architecture was incredible. We used Lee Miles tours and had a wonderful time. The van was not so cool though. Very little air conditioning and it was pretty warm in Columbia, but so worth it.

I wish I was going again, it was such a great cruise.

Kris

I did the full transit on the Coral Princess last January and opted to take the domed car train tour. It was good but I wouldn't do it again nor would I recommend it for a couple of reasons: 1) the train goes along the side of the Canal, which is lined with trees, so you see only glimpses of the Canal; 2) if you're not on the side of the train closest to the Canal, you have to look over or through the people on the other side to see the Canal. The stop at Gatun Locks was good, but very, very crowded with people fighting for position along the front of the viewing area. Some people "parked" themselves there for the entire visit so many weren't able to see much.

If I went to the Panama Canal again, I'd take the "Experience by boat." I heard great things about it and those who I met who took it loved the excursions. I'd also consider doing the Gatun Lake Cruise and Miraflores Locks.

I'm fascinated by the Canal so perhaps I have a different priority. If you want to see the monkeys, nature preserves, etc., I don't know much about these excursions.

Edited by Pam in CA

If I went to the Panama Canal again, I'd take the "Experience by boat." I heard great things about it and those who I met who took it loved the excursions. I'd also consider doing the Gatun Lake Cruise and Miraflores Locks.

Thanks, Pam. I will look into it. The whole reason for us to go on a cruise (we are totally not cruise people) is to see the canal. It's been on my husband's bucket list, and we just decided to go ahead with it!

I am VERY concerned about all the sitting around on a 10-night cruise. I like to pack it in on vacation, and trek from site to site. So I am all about the excursions, but am not at all interested in being part of the cattle call that's loaded on and off a tour bus all day.

Thanks, Pam. I will look into it. The whole reason for us to go on a cruise (we are totally not cruise people) is to see the canal. It's been on my husband's bucket list, and we just decided to go ahead with it!

I am VERY concerned about all the sitting around on a 10-night cruise. I like to pack it in on vacation, and trek from site to site. So I am all about the excursions, but am not at all interested in being part of the cattle call that's loaded on and off a tour bus all day.

OMG - you sound like me when it comes to getting it all in vacation time. My DH loves to RELAX. So we must compromise.

We did the partial canal cruise a few years back and it was probably his favorite. But lots of sea days for me. Some excursions that interested me:

Aruba: (we didn't go here, but it looks like a beach day or ABC tours to take in the other coast)

Cartagena: I second the Lee Miles tour above. Here is where you will get your architecture!

Limon: Wonderful excursion we took from ship that included jungle boat ride, aerial tram, rain forest walk, & excellent lunch stop. Saw lots of animals, banana plantation, and countryside. (It did need a bus to get there and back)

Panama: we took the Ocean to ocean small boat ride to the Pacific side. He loved it. I really enjoyed the Cut and Bridge of Americas. The locks are pretty much the same on both sides. Box lunch. Bus ride to and from boat. It was a long day. (I was thinking maybe the train would be better - but it doesn't sound like it from what Pam said. At least we were able to see everything up close and personal.)

Jamaica: If you have never gone to Dunn River, here is your chance to hike. You could also combine a catamaran with it or river rafting the Martha Brae.

You've still got several sea days, but that ship is a lovely one to spend them on. Wonderful library. I enjoyed this trip, but made him take me to Europe the following year so I could have a turn and get in plenty of activities!!:D

We just did the partial crossing two weeks ago... we did the Panama Canal by boat tour which I found very interesting. However.. be prepared.. yes the "air conditioned ride" is a bus ride and it's very very long, both before and after the boat ride thru the lockes. We arrived back in Colon during rush hour and it took forever. What they advertise as an hour and 15 minutes ride was much much longer.

Edited by blazerjan

If the ship goes thru the canals, that IS the excursion...no need to pay additional to get off the ship. Just wander about the ship during the transit, and see everything from all deck levels and sides....there's absolutely no reason to pay more to see the Panama canal if the ship is going through it!

Do a visit to the Embera Tribe in Panama if you can. It is a great day.

I agree! First they took us to the locks by bus to get a close up view of the workings of the locks, then we drove to a resort where we boarded small boats and set out on Gatun Lake. We traveled along the shore stopping occasionally to view wildlife. Later, we were greeted by young Emberra Indian children at a dock on their island. After a welcome, the chief explained about their life style. Some of the tribespeople danced for us, and then we had time to explore the village and interact with the people before boarding a boat to return to the ship. I'd like to do it again.

Visiting the Embera Indian tribe with Anne was the highlight of my Coral Princess cruise last March. I highly, highly rec. her. You don't have the crowds with the ship sponsered tour. Very initimate. There was only 11 of us. I can't say enough about it. Here is a link to her and her website.

Anne@EmberaVillageTours.com

www.EmberaVillageTours.com

John:cool:

I appreciate all the replies, however this is the full transit, not the partial canal cruise ... so it doesn't visit many of the ports suggested (Aruba, Cartenga) ... and as cb at sea mentioned ... we probably will choose to stay on the ship to go through the entire canal, so we won't be getting off to do a Panama excursion ... or maybe I will and leave DH behind?

Our stops include Huatulco, San Juan del Sur, Puntarenas and Ocho Rios.

Is the Ocho Rios falls pretty neat? Have heard some say it's beautiful, others it's a waste-of-time tourist trap ... I know there will ALWAYS be opnions on both sides ... but it kind of looks like there isn't much more to see/do in Ocho Rios besides the falls ...

We did the falls thing in Ocho Rios and it was interesting. did it with a combined visit to a gardens area which was quite nice as well. It was pouring rain the day we were there so those were good things to do on a rainy day. That tour was organized through Princess, but does not involve a lot of driving..everything is relatively close by.

Also, on our Canal trip last year (full transit) we hired a local operator to take us on a boating/snorkling adventure in Huatulco and it was very good. I didn't arrange the tour, so sorry, can't reference the operator. Pics are here

http://picasaweb.google.com/pandcpayne/Huatulco2010?feat=directlink

If you look at the trip link in our address below for Ruby Princess, that has the pics of our day in Jamaica in there.

We did the Embera Indian tour while in Panama and I would also recommend that excursion!

Enjoy your cruise!:)

Is the Ocho Rios falls pretty neat? Have heard some say it's beautiful, others it's a waste-of-time tourist trap ... I know there will ALWAYS be opnions on both sides ... but it kind of looks like there isn't much more to see/do in Ocho Rios besides the falls ...

We did the tubing down the White River and enjoyed it thoroughly. I have attached a couple of pictures

DSCN2925.jpg.bc9e83963f6ea627d83bde2e626e86d3.jpg

DSCN2999.jpg.d0cbb5171af597bf3de8c95e06d103b4.jpg

We'll be hitting Ocho Rios for the first time in October, but I think someone seemed to sum it up best on another thread...

"It's something you should do at least once when you hit Jamaica. Then the next time, do something else."

I'd check your roll call for that, someone always seems to be arranging a small group tour for Jamaica.

I appreciate all the replies, however this is the full transit, not the partial canal cruise ... so it doesn't visit many of the ports suggested (Aruba, Cartenga) ... and as cb at sea mentioned ... we probably will choose to stay on the ship to go through the entire canal, so we won't be getting off to do a Panama excursion ... or maybe I will and leave DH behind?

We'll be doing the exact same cruise the end of April. We've found some excursions on the Princess website that looked interesting, but I would also be interested in people's thoughts/experiences in the ports mentioned above (though we've been to Jamaica and Ocho Rios a few times already.)

Looking forward to this one.

I'd check your roll call for that, someone always seems to be arranging a small group tour for Jamaica.

Actually, Loonbeam ... our roll call is DEAD. And the cruise is only two months away! I hope things pick up after the holidays ... cause it really has not been all that active, nor helpful.

We'll be doing the exact same cruise the end of April. We've found some excursions on the Princess website that looked interesting, but I would also be interested in people's thoughts/experiences in the ports mentioned above (though we've been to Jamaica and Ocho Rios a few times already.)
I hadn't planned an excursion in Huatulco so I just got off the ship and wandered around. There's a really nice beach right next to where you disembark. I thought Huatulco was charming and compared to other M.R. and Caribbean ports, relatively unspoiled. If I were to go there again, I would consider the river rafting tour.

We took the "Aerial Tram with Lunch" tour and it was one of the worst excursions I've ever taken with Princess. We stood for about an hour and a half, in the sun at 85 degrees and humid, to board the tram. The "guide" on the tram was horrible; he would point out a tree but not know what it was, couldn't answer questions, barely spoke the entire tram ride while we could hear the guides on the other trams chattering away with information. The "lunch" was a tablespoonful of rice, one of beans, a 1/3 slice of pineapple, and a small cup of what we used to call "bug juice" at camp as the beverage. When we asked if we could have more or if there was any more, we were told, "No." As we were waiting to board the bus back to the ship, I saw people with plates piled with food, including huge pieces of chicken, etc. When I asked where they got it, they pointed to where we'd gotten our food. Obviously, they ran out of food for us but never said anything. Not even, "Come back in 15 minutes and we'll have the chicken, etc." Nor did our guide say anything or help us. While I didn't want a huge plate of food, we paid quite a bit of money for a tour that included lunch. What they gave us wasn't even a snack. Our tablemates took the river cruise and loved it.

Edited by Pam in CA

I agree. The visit to the Embera Village was probably one of the best (if not the very best) excursion I've ever been on. Not many places like it left on earth.

I'm on this same itinerary at the end of April for the full transit. The part I don't understand is the Colon, Panama port. After the canal it says Colon from 5pm-9pm. But Princess does not show any excursions for this port. Can someone explain? Isn't that where you would go to Embera Village?

I'm on this same itinerary at the end of April for the full transit. The part I don't understand is the Colon, Panama port. After the canal it says Colon from 5pm-9pm. But Princess does not show any excursions for this port. Can someone explain? Isn't that where you would go to Embera Village?

It would appear that you are doing a cruise that goes THROUGH the Panama Canal on a complete transit, both Southbound and then returning Northbound, but never get the opportunity to take any tours in Panama. Princess does not show any tours for the 4 hour stop in Colon . . . allowing 45 minutes to tie up and back on board 30 minutes before sailing, that gives you less than 3 hours . . . no wonder there are no tours! . . . and really there is nothing to do at night in Colon, at least nothing that is safe to do independently on your own. You can browse some shops, stock up on soda and wine at the Super 99 store . . . but other than that . . . sorry. The Embera tour is an all day trip. Next time you want an itinerary that allows you some time to explore Panama.

Regards, Richard

Yes, Richard ... I had read all your posts about exploring Panama. And the Embera Village sounds neat. It's a choice between a full crossing or partial transit ... or four more nights on the ship. My husband is really excited about doing the full transit, and I can't bear the thought of 14 nights on a ship! I'm already worried about how I'm going to handle 10 ... reading all the fabulous things to do on the CC boards is helping, but I think there's no real danger in either myself or DH becoming cruise hounds.

I am looking forward to the arrival of your book ... I ordered it last week and am impatient for it to get here ...