Diaper question

augusta78

I am bringing diapers and trying to count out how many I need for a week long cruise. In the event that I was to run out (which I doubt) do they sell diapers on the ship? I'm sure they are very expensive but just wondering. thank you!

No, I have never seen diapers for sale. I generally bring about 7-8 per day (just in case of upset stomach from new food). I just pack one sleeve from a large case and I am always bringing diapers home. Better safe than sorry though. If you do run out Im sure you can buy some in ports.

I would do a count ahead of time and see how many you go through to see what you need to bring. You never mentioned where you which ports you are going to, but San Juan and St. Thomas have CVS Pharmacies a short walk from the pier in case you need more. St Thomas has a CVS at Havenside and San Juan has a CVS less than a block down the street from the Senor Frogs.

One suggestion I've seen is that after you've packed all your bags, take an extra package of diapers and fill in all the extra little spaces on the top of your bags. This is in addition to the ones you'd already planned to bring. Never hurts to have extra diapers - can be quite uncomfortable if you don't have enough.

You might also ask this question on the family cruising board as they can be really helpful with things like this.

I way overpacked on diapers when we went with our 9 month old and I was glad I did. She ended up having a little stomachache the day before we left and we went through a lot.

I remember one family I think lost some of their luggage and didn't realize until after we left and she bought some from the gift shop but they didn't have a lot to choose from as far as sizes go. You can find them in most ports but they do cost a fortune.

Good thing is you will have a lot of room in the luggage for the way back!

We ususally buy them right before we get onboard. We have sailed out of Miami several times and when we book our transfer from the airport to the port we ask for an extra stop at a Target/Walmart/CVS and buy a package there. Tip the driver a little extra and you eliminate schleping them on the airline.

I have the transport company that I use from Ft Lauderdale to Miami if you need eat. Very reasonable rates and 1/2 price for infants.

I counted up how many we went through in a typical day over the course of a week and then added 2 extra per day beyond that. Thank goodness I did too because for whatever reason, it slipped my mind to bring her overnight diapers too, so we had to use regular diapers at night and ended up coming home with only 4 extra! That's cutting it a little close for me personally! Make sure you also pack swim diapers for the beach and overnight diapers if your child uses them!

Haha, wow. This is how much cloth diapers have been trending among my friends lately- I almost made the suggestion that if you run out you can just wash them onboard. Doh!

Always bring more than you think you need. We've never once traveled with my nephew without him getting an upset stomach. On his last camping trip he spent the whole time being a naked baby and we'd just bury his "piles" when he was done and rinse him off in the lake. Otherwise we would've been out of diapers the first night!

yep, tuck them suckers in every extra nook and cranny possible... that silly deep zipper compartment on the front of some suitcases will hold at least a dozen diapers..might as well use it for something other than magazines!

Better to have too many than run shy.

We brought a 36 pack for a 5 night cruise, and it seemed about right. We did purchase another pack in Key West just too make sure we had enough, but ended up not using it.

Research your ports of call to see which have a convenience store nearby. In Key West, we had a CVS and Walgreens within waking distance. I know that not every port is like Key West though.

Which itinerary are you taking?

Based on your signature, it looks like a Western itinerary on the Legend? Maybe Cozumel and Grand Cayman will offer some stores where you can buy extras...

Archived