1st Oceania Cruise - Their Definition of "Elegant Casual" for Alaska?

Wannaknow

I wore white jeans on our last cruise with a white and silver top and silver heels. I doubt that anyone even noticed that they were jeans since the top covered the waistband and the rivets. I would not have worn "blue jeans".

I believe it's the blue denim that they find objectionable even if the pants are designer and expensive. Black, white and other colors seem to be no problem regardless of quality:)

I wore white jeans on our last cruise with a white and silver top and silver heels. I doubt that anyone even noticed that they were jeans since the top covered the waistband and the rivets. I would not have worn "blue jeans".

Or it is just the Maitre'd does not want a confrontation so they let coloured jeans pass by ;)

My two twenty-something daughters wear their dark dress jeans with stiletto heels and beautiful tops to the GDR. They've never been asked to return to their cabins to change their pants. I wouldn't waste another nano-second on whether nice jeans are acceptable.

I think the rules are there so that those who are really waaaay off in their dress can be approached about appropriateness. Enjoy your cruise.

We have been on several Oceania cruises and in my experience I have found people dressed overwhelmingly nicer in the evenings than on any other cruise lines. Many men in a sports jacket, others in dress slacks and nice shirts. Women in cocktail dresses or dress pants and nice, sparkely tops. My assumption was your question was geared toward evening and not daytime attire.

CateW - Yes my question was for evening. What I think I will plan on doing is wearing what I would wear in a nice restaurant here in So Cal. However, what concerns me is I am thinking So. Cal. is more casual than many parts of the U.S.

We will be on an Alaskan cruise & the weather is definitely an iffy issue. I will be bringing warmer clothes in general both for touring and for evening wear. I get cold easily!

• 2 months later...

We loved our first Oceania Cruise 2 years ago - Australia & New Zealand - but were a little surprised about the number of people who wore sloganed T=shirts etc in the Dining Room - the main DR, not the buffet. We thought people were pushing it & that they should have been asked to change - either clothes or restaurant.

We loved our first Oceania Cruise 2 years ago - Australia & New Zealand - but were a little surprised about the number of people who wore sloganed T=shirts etc in the Dining Room - the main DR, not the buffet. We thought people were pushing it & that they should have been asked to change - either clothes or restaurant.

Was that at dinner?

More casual dress is allowed for breakfast & lunch

In the 17 times I have cruised on O, I have never seen what you describe in the dining room at dinner..so like you I would have been shocked. I personally would have brought it up to the GM.

Jancruz1

In the 17 times I have cruised on O, I have never seen what you describe in the dining room at dinner..so like you I would have been shocked. I personally would have brought it up to the GM.

Jancruz1

In our 10 cruises we have only seen one man try to come into the GDR with a wildly printed T shirt and he, was turned away.Thanks Carlos!:)

I know this is an old thread, but I'm always interested in the "jeans" controversies. Plus I'm going to Alaska on Regent next year.

Let me just say, there are "jeans", and there is "denim". I can't imagine white denim being remotely offensive. I'm assuming a denim skirt, for instance, would pass muster (although a blue denim jean skirt might raise some eyebrows.)

I have worn jeans, or rather "denim" pants (navy, white) to dinner in the GDR and never been questioned. However, they were not the traditional "jeans", but more like dressy pants (ala Chico's with a nice top and dressy sandals). I interpret it as no faded jeans, with holes, frayed, etc. or even overalls. Like so many things, it can be subjective. I have seen people turned away from the GDR on a few occasions for sandals, too short capris (barely longer than shorts) and on my last cruise a woman was turned away for wearing sweats. The sad part about that was her luggage was lost and that was all she had. She was issued an apology later when O was made aware.

I don't think that good taste can be defined by a fabric. If it could, every woman who wore something black and sparkly would look like a million bucks!

... I have seen people turned away from the GDR on a few occasions for sandals...

I don't think that good taste can be defined by a fabric. If it could, every woman who wore something black and sparkly would look like a million bucks!

Hear to that. So, perhaps some day there's hope for my beautiful brown jeans.

BTW, I hope the person turned away was a man, at least. I often wear nice sandals on cruise ships to dinner.

I'm delighted to hear that black, white and other colored denim is appropriate for evening - especially with a long top that covers any indication of "jean identification."

I have bought a black crepe type flowing pants for evening, but frankly, I hate them and I certainly won't wear it anywhere else. The denim tailoring looks better on me - much better. I'm going to return the flowing pants and wear my nice black jeans with heels, & a multitude of lovely sweater combos.

Thank you for bringing it up. I am happy:).

I promise you, to my regret, that these less than country club shirts were on view in the Main DR at dinner time on our Australia/NZ cruise. It didn't perturb us enough to make it an issue, although we DID think that it was not a great thing....

And DO NOTE that these were not the sort of collared shirts that have an allegiance to BMW or Oceania - they were T-shirts - & we saw them on more than one occasion in the main DR on our 12 wonderful nights of this cruise.

We must have very starchy shorts...

I promise you, to my regret, that these less than country club shirts were on view in the Main DR at dinner time on our Australia/NZ cruise. It didn't perturb us enough to make it an issue, although we DID think that it was not a great thing....

:eek:

I am shocked that they were allowed in the GDR for dinner with that attire

Archived