'Forced' entertainment on Connie!!

ccxnola

How many days of a guy banging on a tin lid constitutes ‘entertainment’?

On our recent cruise on Constellation, the following ‘entertainment’ was

the ONLY option that you had (and must tolerate) if you wanted to be at the pool in the afternoon!

(from the daily shipboard schedule)

12/04 (departure day) --Poolside – 2:00-3:30 & 5-6:30 PM Tyrone Babb – Solo Steel Pan Player

12/05 - Poolside – 1:00-4:00 PM Tyrone Babb – Solo Steel Pan Player

12/06 - Poolside – 1:00-4:00 PM Tyrone Babb – Solo Steel Pan Player

12/07 - Poolside – 2:30-4:30 PM Tyrone Babb – Solo Steel Pan Player

12/08 - Poolside – 2:00-4:30 PM Tyrone Babb – Solo Steel Pan Player

12/09 - Poolside – 3:30-6:15 PM Tyrone Babb – Solo Steel Pan Player

12/10 – Barbados – must have been his ‘day off’

12/11 - Poolside – 3:00-5:30 PM Tyrone Babb – Solo Steel Pan Player

12/12 - Poolside – 2:30-4:30 PM Tyrone Babb – Solo Steel Pan Player

12/13 - Poolside – 1:00-3:30 PM Tyrone Babb – Solo Steel Pan Player

12/14 - Poolside – 2:30-5:30 PM Tyrone Babb – Solo Steel Pan Player

12/15 - Poolside – 1:30-4:30 PM Tyrone Babb – Solo Steel Pan Player

12/16 - Poolside – 1:00-4:00 PM Tyrone Babb – Solo Steel Pan Player

12/18 - Poolside – 1:00-4:00 PM Tyrone Babb – Solo Steel Pan Player

I really think Celebrity could move the several entertainers around to provide at least some variety in the various venues!!

Or, am I just becoming an old fuddy-duddy??

I agree that the steel drum substitution on many of the Celebrity ships...instead of a pool band that plays & sings Reggae or Buffet is a disappointment! I really like steel drums but after awhile it can get monotonous..esp if it is a solo..

Hope they bring back a nice pool band...like they have on Royal C--they actually feature a pool/island band & a latin band at the pool on some of their ships...

I'm curious if you expressed any concern to the Cruise Director while you were on board. And did you put your comment on the end-of-cruise comment card? Have cruise X often and never had all-afternoon live music at the pool, usually it was just over the lunch hours. If you spoke to the CD, what did he/she say?

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm not a fan of any music poolside. I'd rather have a nice quite and relaxing experience. The bands are way too loud for my liking.

Rollie

I completely agree. No need for live entertainment at the pool during mid day sunning or reading a book under the overhangs. Some middle of the road intercom music would be just fine. I'd much rather they put that budget into evening entertainment options.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm not a fan of any music poolside. I'd rather have a nice quite and relaxing experience. The bands are way too loud for my liking.

Rollie

I agree with you, Rollie. Even when a move to the other end of the deck, the bands are too loud for me.

Wow, sorry to "hear" about all that steel drum music, Yikes!

We were on Century in the Caribbean two weeks ago and I just realized not only did they have very little pool music (we don't actually sit at the outdoor pool-only walk through at times), when reviewing the daily schedule, there was only an hour each day with a live band. Most all venues for music were indoors. On the other hand, I love the calm recorded music in the Solarium on S class ships....so relaxing :)

Perhaps it's time to try another Celebrity ship....happy cruising...Joanne

CCXNOLA,

This is Kitcito we really enjoyed the cabin crawl that you put together it was the best one we have been on yet. Regarding your post about the music around the pool they did have the band playing late in the afternoon but mostly the steel drum player. I agree they should vary the type and style music.

Regarding the main "Show's" in the theater in the evening this is the first cruise on Celebrity that I was really bored. I didn't like violin player all that much and I fell asleep during the Juggler but that's just me. The Celebrity dancers and singers were really good. Well that's about all I have to say but once again it was wonderful to meet you and your wife. And no your not a "Fuddy-Duddy".

Kitcito:D

Rollie

I agree 100%.

I like to sit by the pool to relax.

When the noise starts I migrate to someplace

with "less" atmosphere.

No one can relax with that noise pool area.

I wish they would give us "quiet time" to read,

listen to iPod, and, snooze by the pool.

Hi All

I just thought I would share. We were on the Equinox last Februrary (2010) and absolutely loved the pool side. We had a mixture of quiet time, different types of music(drums, ragea bands, Buffet type bands). The entertainement was amazing.

We enjoyed this ship so much that we are going to to the other itinerary in January 2011 and so looking forward to it.

Happy holidays everyone and stay safe.

Lise

Hope this is what we get on Equinox next month too!

In the past we have enjoyed mostly quiet at the pool except two nice sets usually from the pool or party band, & one time period of activity for those who want to do it (no hairy legs)--up at the bandstand area--others not disturbed..

on Summit recently we were subjected to very loud PA music--very jarring and an hour more of very loud activities poolside that caused us to flee..

The traditonal formula works best for us-- mostly quiet with two sets from the band--not just one steel drum guy..

I did not realize the program was so varied on diff ships!!!

Rollie

Agree, also.

We've been on other lines, - Princess and HAL mostly - and came back from our first cruise on Century telling everyone how nice it was to be treated like adults. We especially enjoyed the fact that there was only one announcement on the intercom each day, and the pool area had only quiet background music on the intercom. True, there was an hour when the party band played poolside, but that was our signal to go to the buffet. :D

If =X= insists on bumping up the "entertainment value" of the "poolside experience", I'm afraid we'll have to look for a different vacation - one "designed for us". It will, sad to say, probably cost a good deal more.

Rollie

Totally agree. I was fast asleep by the pool on Eclipse when this lady suddenly started screeching. It made me jump out of my skin.:eek:

I'm sure they never used to have live music by the pool......

I have a feeling that there are equal numbers wanting more music at the pool. Can't please everyone.;)

I found the music fine on the Solstice last Jan. But I don't sit on the pool level. I "park" upstairs and there the music was fine for my taste. I can read and beat my toes to the rhythms just fine.:D Will be doing it again in 3 weeks.

My DH loves to sit on the balcony for about an hour a day for the quiet time he needs to get thru techinical paperwork. ...and that's REALLY quiet.

We had the same "piped in music" on the Stolsice and I found it too subdued for my taste. I think that a Caribbean cruise should have a party band..we are booked on the Summit next week and I hope they have live party music!

I agree. It would appear that we shouldnt have poolside contests and poolside music is too disruptive - its a huge ship with many other places to read or listen to your ipod. I would suggest that if you want a scene with absolutely no activity, you should try HAL. As for me, bring on the music !!

I must be the odd one out... I know when I am heading toward the caribbean, I look forward to hearing that "tin drum" sound as I board. It tells me I am really on vacation now. Would I want to hear it every time I am by the pool, probably not, but for the most part, it certainly has it's place. Maybe they could just limit the amount of time per day music is played.

One thing I like the larger ships for is that I can be anywhere I want to be on deck. Our last 5 cruises or so have been on the Crown and CB on Princess and they have a pool with movie screen, pool with a band, and two adults only pools with little or no music. We choose where we'd like to be. I do like music and fun on a cruise. I'd book a more subdued itinerary or line if I wanted tranquility, but I do understand those who do.

I agree. It would appear that we shouldnt have poolside contests and poolside music is too disruptive - its a huge ship with many other places to read or listen to your ipod. I would suggest that if you want a scene with absolutely no activity, you should try HAL. As for me, bring on the music !!

seconded....the ships are huge with plenty of quiet suntraps where you can snooze/read/ipod the days away...rather selfish to want to monopolize the pool and turn it into a library....it should remain the daytime entertainment hub of the ship....

Archived