Rhodes & Malta.....anyone have info?

HiLo71

Does anyone have any recommendations for tours/tour guides in Rhodes, Greece and / or Malta? Our cruise will be stopping in those ports in Nov. 2011

Can't speak for MAlta, but you really don't need a tour guide in Rhodes. Your ship will either dock across from the old city or you will have a shuttle to and from the city. Everything to see is in the old city (we had a tour and it was excellent but not worth it). Be sure to go into the Grand Master's Palace at the end of the Knight's Road. Walk around the city and enjoy the buildings bearing the order of the knight's flags (and they're still in use today) there are plenty of places to eat, shop, or just sit and enjoy. save the money for the shore excursion for somewhere else. :D

We also walked around Rhodes on our own and had a delightful day. There are historical sites that you can visit and I would walk up and down many of the side streets. It's all perfectly safe and very nice. Just take your time to take it all in and look closely at what you pass so you don't overlook anything.

Keith

we hired a taxi prior to leaving. swansea car hire, i believe. they picked us up at the ship. 80 euros for 4 1/2 hours. i know people hired cabs at the port, but heard they were more expensive. They gave us a tour of valletta, st julians, blue grotto, dropped us at mdina, where we looked around for a hour. and a couple other towns. we then asked to be dropped off at the top end of valletta. we walked down to the ship, shopping and sightseeing along the way. it was totally stress free.

We have been to both Rhodes and Malta. In Rhodes we took a half day ship tour so we could see more than just the Old Town. It was interesting, but I wish we had skipped the tour and just spent the whole day exploring the lovely Old Town.

We visited Valletta Malta in 2003. Be sure to be on deck when you come in to the beautiful harbor. It is very impressive and a must see. We took a ship tour so that we could visit the lovely town of Mdina as well as Valletta.

We have lots of photos of Rhodes on our website www.thepreismans.com in our 2007 Mediterranean cruise review. Our 2003 Mediterranean review only has a few photos of Malta, but it might be of interest to you. Enjoy both of these lovely ports.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone have any recommendations for tours/tour guides in Rhodes, Greece and / or Malta? Our cruise will be stopping in those ports in Nov. 2011

I've been to both places and you can easily walk them both. In Malta, we hired a horse carriage to get out of the heat. They are both lovely smallish ports.

As I recall, (it's been a few years) there are steps from the port area up to and down from the city. We sat on our balcony when the ship was due to depart and watched as an officer paced up and down near the gangway. The p.a. system kept calling one name out. Finally a local car came racing down the hill from the top. A lady got out and the officer more or less grabbed her and said "get on the ship! you're late!" It's the only time I've seen a ship actually wait for a passenger, but I don't know how long they would have stayed there. It was funny to watch but I heard later that the captain was VERY annoyed and had the staff captain speak to the lady to explain how annoyed he was.

Archived