Beer snobs- are there any besides my husband?

cardamon

I've asked this question before, and need to find an answer before April 2 sailing. I am married to a guy who brews his own beer and wine, and drinks only microbrews. I have trouble getting him on a cruise because of the poor beer selections. Anyone have the same problem? What have you done to solve the problem? Please, I am serious- DFH, North Coast, Troeggs, lovers please respond!

I've asked this question before, and need to find an answer before April 2 sailing. I am married to a guy who brews his own beer and wine, and drinks only microbrews. I have trouble getting him on a cruise because of the poor beer selections. Anyone have the same problem? What have you done to solve the problem? Please, I am serious- DFH, North Coast, Troeggs, lovers please respond!

I agree the draft beer selections in general are poor but that doesn't stop me from enjoying a cruise. Some cruise lines are starting to add more draft and microbrew choices hopefully RCL will do the same.

Mike

I agree that the selection of beer on some cruises can be fair to bad. (Biller and Mud):rolleyes: I like to bring a few of my favourite beer and wine with me. This includes bringing the allowable amount onboard and some tucked neatly away. I also enjoy trying the local brews while ashore. I also enjoy trying different wines at dinner with the sommelier's recommendations. The selection of beer and wine onboard has never been a deal breaker for me.

I am not looking forward to having to drink the typical cruise beer myself ..it is definitelty a huge negative as I am a huge Hop-Head, but I also enjoy trying the available beers at the ports

...someone made a great point in another post regarding microbeer drinkers versus the typical Budweiser drinker...there is MUCH more money to be made in selling to a Bud drinker usually, as they usually will consume more bottles in a given time period, versus someone like me, who savors/enjoys the taste of a good beer, and typically, those micros, etc. are much more filling, and not a guzzling beer..

David

I like to bring a few of my favourite beer and wine with me. This includes bringing the allowable amount onboard and some tucked neatly away.

I see that you don't list any RCCL cruises in your signature. In that case, allow me to be the first to tell you that RCCL's "allowable amount" to bring on board is ZERO.

I too am an self proclaimed Beer Snob.

When onboard, I typically drink Boddingtons or Guinness.

Here is an idea for him... Challenge him to find better beers, local beers or breweries in each port. Even though the ship may not have something for him, the adventure of finding something in port may make up for it.

-Brad

I am often called a beer snob by my friends. For example, I'm drinking a Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale right now. Toasty and hoppy. Very nice.

I'm always disappointed with the beer choices on the ship. Guinness and Boddingtons are two of the better choices on board. I too would be very happy to see an IPA or Pale Ale on the menu. Generally I'll just stick to wine for my week on the ship.

The pub will often have the best choices on any RCI ship. And the taps aren't set, they can change it week to week. But I've never seen anything I'd consider exciting.

I too am an self proclaimed Beer Snob.

When onboard, I typically drink Boddingtons or Guinness.

Here is an idea for him... Challenge him to find better beers, local beers or breweries in each port. Even though the ship may not have something for him, the adventure of finding something in port may make up for it.

-Brad

I am for sure a beer snob. If Bud/Miller/Coors are only selections, I drink water.

Just off Allure of Seas and they had some good beers. I drank both Boddingtons and Guinness. Especially enjoyed Boddingtons as I went to Bow and Stern (pub) and bought 2 on first afternoon and took back to cabin to enjoy on balconey later.

I had a good experience in Rita's cantina. They did not have any 'good' beers by my criteria, so I mentioned a Boddingtons and the guy said he would get me one. I am sure he went to the Boardwalk Bar which was about 25 feet away, but it was a GREAT response and I enjoyed my 2, and then another guest did the same thing seeing my Boddington can on the table. Also, gave a very nice tip!

They did have a lot of beers on ship. Would enjoy a dogfish ale about now. My personal favorites are English bitters. :) Hmmmmmmm, need to go check out my basement frig.

We drink local beers in port and wine on the ship. We leave on the Adventure tomorrow and it will be the first time we will be on an RCI ship with a pub. Only the bigger ships (with a promenade) have real beer. On sea days we will have mixed drinks as well. I just cannot stomach Bud anymore. Unless it is about 900 degrees out. LOL

I see that you don't list any RCCL cruises in your signature. In that case, allow me to be the first to tell you that RCCL's "allowable amount" to bring on board is ZERO.

"Tucked neatly away" i.e. not necessarily what is "allowable" ;) for any cruise line.

I think the correct word should be connoisseur not "snob". Try what others have suggested but on a TransAlantic to England, stay a few days

and try some real [cask] ales. Also try Theakstons Old Perculiar, Marstons Pedigree and Abbots to name a few. Cheers to all us Hop Heads.

My hubby is the same way! He cruises any way, and just sucks it up. He does like Sam Adams and Boddingtons (sp?) and usually drinks these while on board. He usually will only drink beer by the pool, and then get a gin and tonic at dinner. I love Guinness, which they doo have. Try the pub that is on the freedom class (Bull & Bear, I believe) and Oasis class ships. They have the best beer selection. Good music too!

Celebrity's newest "S" class ships starting with Silhouette (next to debut) will be replacing Michaels's Club with an "upscale" beer lounge..you may want to check that out.. seems they will be offering a very wide selection!

You are probably teasing, but would Budweiser be an obscure name if you never heard it before?

In Czechoslovakia, it seems that when Eberhard Anheuser named his beer Budweiser, he was paying homage to the beer makers of a Czech town called Ceske Budejovice, known in Anheuser's native Germany as "Budweis." According to the folks in Budweis, their local beer has been known as Budweiser for several hundred years.

In Czechoslovakia, it seems that when Eberhard Anheuser named his beer Budweiser, he was paying homage to the beer makers of a Czech town called Ceske Budejovice, known in Anheuser's native Germany as "Budweis." According to the folks in Budweis, their local beer has been known as Budweiser for several hundred years.

Yes, I know. And I'm sure our friend from South Florida thinks that Pilsner Urquell is a fancy schmancy name.

-Brad

Great idea, Brad! I'm a beer snob and I think the best you'll find on RCI is Bass Ale. But the bottom line is: if he refuses to cruise for lack of beer, ask your sister or best friend to cruise with you instead. :eek: Bye, honey! Enjoy your beer...home...alone... ;)

I am often called a beer snob by my friends. For example, I'm drinking a Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale right now. Toasty and hoppy. Very nice.

High five!! I'm partial to the Raison D'Etre, but very much like the Brown Ale. Come to the restaurant in Rehoboth sometime if you can...very nice small batches that never make it out of Delaware served regularly.

I have brewed for 10 years. I love beer. I can always find something I like. I love a Red Stripe in the evenings. A Guiness after dinner. During a hot day, I will drink an ice cold lager. As a brewer, I respect Budweiser. Very complicated beer to brew. Most of us started on normal beer that they have on-board.

Archived