Snow, flying, and Southwest Air

Merion_Mom

Southwest is allowing free changes (within categories) to anyone flying to or from or through the affected airports:

* Raleigh/Durham (RDU)

* Norfolk (ORF)

* Baltimore (BWI)

* Washington (Dulles) (IAD)

* Philadelphia (PHL)

* New York (LaGuardia) (LGA)

* Long Island (ISP)

* Hartford (BDL)

* Manchester (MHT)

* Providence (PVD)

* Boston Logan (BOS)

We just changed from 7:15 a.m. PHL to FLL through RDU Monday to 6:45 P.M. Sunday non-stop to FLL.

Their website was very easy to use to make the switch.

Major kudos to SW for easing this Mom's mind!

Now I must go do laundry a little bit earlier.......

:)

Southwest is allowing free changes (within categories) to anyone flying to or from or through the affected airports:

* Raleigh/Durham (RDU)

* Norfolk (ORF)

* Baltimore (BWI)

* Philadelphia (PHL)

* Long Island (ISP)

* Hartford (BDL)

* Manchester (MHT)

* Providence (PVD)

* Boston Logan (BOS)

We just changed from 7:15 a.m. PHL to FLL through RDU Monday to 6:45 P.M. Sunday non-stop to FLL.

I'm up north in CT at the inlaws, What time is the snow suppose to start in Philadlephia and how much? We will be traveling on 95 South.

Just trying to get an idea when we should leave and head south?

Jimbo:)

I'm up north in CT at the inlaws, What time is the snow suppose to start in Philadlephia and how much? We will be traveling on 95 South.

Just trying to get an idea when we should leave and head south?

Maybe around 7 on Sunday evening. That sort of thing is seriously subject to change, based on winds and such. But that's the estimate right now.

Snow depth ranges for Philadelphia are from 6 to 20". It depends on direction and winds, and how long it stays over our area. Time is predicted to be Sunday evening through Monday morning.

I don't know timing for weather north of Philadelphia, but Glenn Schwartz's report is here.

Here is part of the just-updated report:

After several days’ worth of computer model flip-flops, the big snowstorm possibility appears likely as a potential Nor'Easter could dump up to a foot of snow on parts of the area.

On Christmas afternoon nearly all of the computer models were suggesting snowfall of at least six inches for most of the area, with higher amounts closer to the shore.

Some light snow is expected in the area by 8 a.m. and we may have a couple of inches on thr ground by noon.

The Philadelphia area is now expected to get eight to 12 inches, with a 30-percent chance of even more.

Those snow totals I've shown are pretty conservative, if you can believe it. Some computer models suggest much more.

The heaviest snow should fall late Sunday afternoon and night (which includes the Eagles game). Near-blizzard conditions are possible at the peak of the storm, especially near the Jersey Shore.

A storm of this magnitude is extremely rare during a La Nina period. The biggest one we could find was in 1950 when Philly saw 6.6 inches of snow.

The storm could put the brakes on post-Christmas travel plans.

The storm poses a BIG problem as airports from Atlanta to Boston could be affected. Some airports could even close for a while at the peak of the storm, and airlines could possibly cancel flights even before the storm gets heavy, so their planes don't get stuck at a snowy airport.

* Raleigh/Durham (RDU)

* Norfolk (ORF)

* Baltimore (BWI)

* Philadelphia (PHL)

* Long Island (ISP)

* Hartford (BDL)

* Manchester (MHT)

* Providence (PVD)

* Boston Logan (BOS)

Yep, it's looking like we have a very significant storm headed our way!

I love, love, love that SWA positions itself to be part of the solution, rather than adding to the inevitable problems that will occur due to a storm with this potential.

Not sure where you are headed after you arrive in FLL (if anywhere)...but safe travels:)

Greeeeeaaat. Now the models are changing. More snow earlier.

My daughter says that if it snows slowly and steadily throughout the day, an airport like PHL can handle it.

Keep your fingers crossed that we can get out of here!

Cruise on the Navigator on Tuesday!

Umm, Weather Channel is showing a blizzard warning beginnng for us in RI at noontime..and NY has a 6:00 a.m. warning start time. There are two ways of looking at it... it will either have blown through by the time you are ready to travel or not. Is leaving earlier an option for you? (I see you have already changed your plans to arrive two days early)

Umm, Weather Channel is showing a blizzard warning beginnng for us in RI at noontime..and NY has a 6:00 a.m. warning start time. There are two ways of looking at it... it will either have blown through by the time you are ready to travel or not. Is leaving earlier an option for you? (I see you have already changed your plans to arrive two days early)

We had grabbed the last seats on the last available flight out of PHL on Sunday.

Just sitting here, hoping that it all works out!

MerionMom

Enjoy the NavOTS!!!

How was your Majesty cruise?

We got off the Freedom this past Sunday. Spent a week in a JS, never been in a JS before. The price was just too good to pass up.

Merry Christmas!

Tim & Crystal

Majesty is always great. Nothing beats cruising with my girlfriends. :)

The best part of this Navigator cruise is getting ALL of my kids together for it.

Keep your fingers crossed that we all make it there in time for boarding on Tuesday!

Merry/Happy everything to you and Crystal!

Majesty is always great. Nothing beats cruising with my girlfriends. :)

The best part of this Navigator cruise is getting ALL of my kids together for it.

Keep your fingers crossed that we all make it there in time for boarding on Tuesday!

Merry/Happy everything to you and Crystal!

That is AWESOME!!

Wishing you nothing but smooth sailing, car, airplane, and SHIP!!!!

Tim

Southwest is the BEST!!! If you don't live near an airport that they serve ......... MOVE !!! :D :D

I agree.. We live 15 mins from Islip Airport(on that list as Long Island) and it takes about 10-15 minutes to get from the car.. to the gate(Last time I was there I got to the airport at 9:05.. I was sitting at the gate... texting .. with starbucks in hand..waiting for my 11am flight at 9:15). Lines are small and quick, service is great, its small, theres a starbucks, and best of all they have Southwest!

We had grabbed the last seats on the last available flight out of PHL on Sunday.

Just sitting here, hoping that it all works out!

Keep checking your flight, the Non stop that leaves at 1:50pm on Sunday is already canceled.

You might want to consider other options.

Keep checking your flight, the Non stop that leaves at 1:50pm on Sunday is already canceled.

You might want to consider other options.

They cancelled the three mid-afternoon flights HOURS ago. The morning flights and our evening flight are still up and running.

Having been stuck in PHL a few times, and been delayed for hours just because of rain , I'd be very surprised if you get out of there on Sunday.

You're supposed to have very high winds and lots of snow there.

I'd suggest you start driving south if you plan to make a cruise out of FLL.

I'm in the Norfolk (ORF), VA, area and they're predicitng about 6 inches for us with gale force winds tomorrow and I know that'll shut us down and the airport won't function well if at all.

I would guess that you'll have to get to South Carolina before you'll find an airport that is functioning normally and that doesn't make a difference if planes from the north can't get there.

I'd probably plan to drive to FLL if you can do it and get an early start, like tonight, since they're saying that I-95 will be a mess even through NC.

Sorry to be a snow crow but I think you'll miss your cruise if you plan to fly.

We were seriously sweating the weather. When we woke up this morning Charlotte (where our connection to San Juan was) was going to be under an airport winter weather advisory beginning at noon. Our flight was at 11:45. We got out before it started, but I think Adventure will be sailing w/o some folks tomorrow.

Shelly: where are you hanging out? We're at the Sheraton in Old San Juan and I can see the ship from here! (I think--unless it's Princess). We'll try to board around 11:30 so we can go straight to the ship from the hotel. See you on board! --Amy

Shelly: where are you hanging out? We're at the Sheraton in Old San Juan and I can see the ship from here! (I think--unless it's Princess). We'll try to board around 11:30 so we can go straight to the ship from the hotel. See you on board! --Amy

If the ship is right across the street from your hotel... It isn't Adventure. You will have to take a taxi to the Pan Am pier. It is on the other side from the Sheritan OSJ.

They cancelled the three mid-afternoon flights HOURS ago. The morning flights and our evening flight are still up and running.

And.....? Please update us on your travel status. Keep thinking good thoughts, send up a prayer to the travel gods, and keep your fingers crossed for safe, speedy, and uninterrupted travel:)

Gosh, I hope you all can make your flights. The afternoon news did not look good for up there. Wind is howling out of the west here where I live just 5 miles from Port Canaveral. It is 35 miles an hour with gusts up to 45!! :eek:

Tomorrow morning and Tuesday morning, lows in the mid 20's. Yes....actual lows!!

Not wind chill....hard freeze. Brrr....

Australia anyone?? !! :eek: ;)

Count me in for Australia............I cant take this anymore:mad::mad: 22 tonite....tomorrow night 19........

G/L Carol getting to FL..................I think its time for a name change.......something about Carols being on either a listing ship or snowed in flights.....:eek::eek::eek:

Archived