Need Some Advice.....

CMOTO

I want to go on another Cruise, we will drive to where ever we decide leave from..... Question is this...... Out of New Orleans (Triumph) or Galveston (Conquest) which is more appealing????

Want to go in April 2011, will drive so distance not a issue..... I guess just the pro and con's of both ports, you know easy in and out, good hotels nearby...ect.....

We are both easy going so I think we will like either route map, does it just boil down to the cost??? Just wanting some opinons, my husband just tells me to book it and he doesn't care!!!!! So easy to deal with, I just have never been to either port, we have only been on Carnival Holiday and Fantasy, so I know these ships will be hugh to us!!!!

Thanks for your advice!!!!:)

Can't comment about salling out of NOLA but we had a fine time in Galveston- once we got there. It was a terrible trip from the international airport- long and expensive. But if you are driving this is not an issue. There are some very nice restaurants, especially if you like seafood, and nice hotels. NOLA of course is filled with wonderful food and is a destination in and of itself. I would look at the ships, the cruises, and the costs and decide from there. I don't think you would go wrong in either city.

I've not sailed out of Galveston before, but have been to both ports - we found N.O. fairly easy to sail out of - but didn't arrive at port right at peak time. I think you will probably find a wider variety of less expensive hotels in New Orleans than in Galveston - it's a big convention town and Galveston is more a tourist town.

I'd look at the ports and ships and make the decision that way - Conquest class ships are a little larger, Triumph is a scaled down version of Conquest class - so if you're used to the smaller ships, Triumph will still seem large, but maybe not as overwhelming as Conquest. Conquest will have a few amenities that Triumph doesn't - the steakhouse and the fish-n-chips to mention a couple - but I think Triumph has the serenity area and Conquest won't have that ... so in my opinion it's a toss up.

I'd probably pick N.O. just because there is more to do on the ground there unless it's summertime. Then I'd lean towards Galveston for the beach.

I would do Triumph ONLY if it was at least $100 less per person.

Galveston, easier to get around, very small area/town. Hotels are very cheap compared to French Qtr, and a safer area. As cheap as Econo Lodge at $40 per night and free cruise parking.

Cruise parking is much cheaper in Galveston ..

...so compare prices. Triumph should be cheaper than going out of Galveston. At least it almost always is. If there is a great deal, I do Triumph, but only if the price is terrific. Last Dec prices got to $199 for 4/5 days on Triumph. I paid $379 for may, 7 days, because it goes to Belize and Roatan, and Conquest does not go there, and that was a good price for May. I had a special deal for a sale pitch I went to, is why I just did Triumph .. $179 pp, $358 total.

Galveston, I love waking up and walking on the beach, or at night. I love the beach and the prices in Galveston. Ecstasy is my favorite.

I want to go on another Cruise, we will drive to where ever we decide leave from..... Question is this...... Out of New Orleans (Triumph) or Galveston (Conquest) which is more appealing????

Want to go in April 2011, will drive so distance not a issue..... I guess just the pro and con's of both ports, you know easy in and out, good hotels nearby...ect.....

We are both easy going so I think we will like either route map, does it just boil down to the cost??? Just wanting some opinons, my husband just tells me to book it and he doesn't care!!!!! So easy to deal with, I just have never been to either port, we have only been on Carnival Holiday and Fantasy, so I know these ships will be hugh to us!!!!

Thanks for your advice!!!!:)

Hi neighbor!! Not sure what part of MO. you are from, but we have driven to Mobile and New Orleans several times. (never did Galveston) Both are almost the exact same distance and it usually takes us about 10.5 hours. Easy 1 day drive. We have done the whole "French Quarter" thingy so we usually stay on the outskirts of NOLA and drive in the morning we sail. There is a town called Hammond about 45 minutes north on I-55. We have stayed there several times pre-cruise. There are plenty of hotels in the French Quarter and surrounding areas, but you will pay more for your lodging. Don't rule out the Elation out of Mobile. She is a good size ship and its probably the easiest port to navigate. Embarkation and debarkation are incredibly simple in my opinion. Good luck with your choice!!!:)

Hi neighbor!! Not sure what part of MO. you are from, but we have driven to Mobile and New Orleans several times. (never did Galveston) Both are almost the exact same distance and it usually takes us about 10.5 hours. Easy 1 day drive. We have done the whole "French Quarter" thingy so we usually stay on the outskirts of NOLA and drive in the morning we sail. There is a town called Hammond about 45 minutes north on I-55. We have stayed there several times pre-cruise. There are plenty of hotels in the French Quarter and surrounding areas, but you will pay more for your lodging. Don't rule out the Elation out of Mobile. She is a good size ship and its probably the easiest port to navigate. Embarkation and debarkation are incredibly simple in my opinion. Good luck with your choice!!!:)

Iv price it your way .. and its cheaper to do a hotel at the port (any port) than to pay for parking at the port .. just my opinion.

We just stayed at the Holiday Inn Superdome for $99 plus tax, which included a shuttle to the port and free cruise parking. Some else I talked to got Hampton for $89 with free breakfast and free cruise parking, for a senior rate that I must have missed or came up later after I booked.

When you count in parking, its cheaper usually to stay at a hotel that has free cruise parking.

.. with the except of Galveston, where Ecstasy is only $35 at EZCruise or Conquest or Voyager is $50 to park there .. and if you have a cheap hotel without a shuttle, the taxi is close enough to that, its the one exception where Iv found it is not cheaper to park at the hotel. (about the same)

One thing that is unique about sailing out of NOLA is that you have an 8ish hour travel down the Mississippi before you hit the gulf. We always get a balcony and the first couple times ordered room service food and sipped wine on the balcony while going down the river. This was a HUGE thing to DH and I enjoyed it as well.

I've sailed from both ports and I prefer Galveston and the Conquest although I've not sailed on the Triumph.

Galveston is easy to navigate, the parking is pretty cheap (many hotels will allow you to park for free during your cruise...) and the prices for rooms and such are quite reasonable.

The Conquest is my favorite ship in the fleet. I'm quite sad that she'll be leaving Galveston next year to move to NOLA...

:)

Thanks for all the heads up!!!! I am looking forward to a "big" ship, parking cost and ease of in and out is a big deal to us. I'll just have to start pricing and then just decide if we want to drive 12 hours(NO) or 15 hours(Galv), either way it will be up to me cause my husband really doesn't care, he just wants to know when to put in for his vacation!!!!! I guess I better get busy comparing!!!!!

I love Galveston and have sailed from there four times, am a native Texan, but I would sail out of NOLA for the following reasons:

1. The Triumph currently goes to Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel. After next fall the Conquest will sail from NOLA going to Grand Cayman, Jamaica and Cozumel. I would sail the Triumph in April to see these ports, they will be more limited after next fall. Both Galveston and NOLA ports will sail to the same ports after fall 2011. You could go out of Galveston then and sail the Magic.

2. There is a lot to do in NOLA in April. It is still pretty cool in Galveston in April, and there is not as much to do. I thought NOLA has more historical sites.

3. The hotels are comparable in both towns. I found a great deal at the Drury Inn (included breakfast, dinner, and free parking). You have to ask for the E-rate. I like the Holiday Inn in Galveston. Free parking, but if I don't stay there I park at Lighthouse Parking.

4. There are also great restaurants in both cities. If you go out of Galveston, try Shrimp n Stuff.

5. Sailing from NOLA is generally less expensive than Galveston.

These are just the reasons I would sail from NOLA in April.

Both ships and ports are great. The Conquest and The Triumph are very much alike, with Conquest being a little bigger and newer. You will have fun either way. Good luck.

I'd probably pick N.O. just because there is more to do on the ground there unless it's summertime. Then I'd lean towards Galveston for the beach.

No offense to trvlqueen, but I don't want the OP to get the wrong idea. The beach at Galveston isn't exactly that great. There is sand and there are waves, but the water is um, how do I put this nicely, let's just say it's not a caribbean beach.

I would do Triumph ONLY if it was at least $100 less per person.

Galveston, easier to get around, very small area/town. Hotels are very cheap compared to French Qtr, and a safer area. As cheap as Econo Lodge at $40 per night and free cruise parking.

Cruise parking is much cheaper in Galveston ..

...so compare prices. Triumph should be cheaper than going out of Galveston. At least it almost always is. If there is a great deal, I do Triumph, but only if the price is terrific. Last Dec prices got to $199 for 4/5 days on Triumph. I paid $379 for may, 7 days, because it goes to Belize and Roatan, and Conquest does not go there, and that was a good price for May. I had a special deal for a sale pitch I went to, is why I just did Triumph .. $179 pp, $358 total.

Galveston, I love waking up and walking on the beach, or at night. I love the beach and the prices in Galveston. Ecstasy is my favorite.

We have cruised out of both NOLA and Galveston. I agree with everything fire said above. We prefer the larger Conquest as we love the steakhouse and the fish n chips.

3. The hotels are comparable in both towns. I found a great deal at the Drury Inn (included breakfast, dinner, and free parking). You have to ask for the E-rate.

I followed this advice on CC and turns out the E rate cannot be combined with the cruise rate that includes the parking .. current rate for parking at Drury with the cruise rate, is $35 the first night, but then you get free cruise parking.

Thats why the last two times I changed to the Holiday Inn Superdome. Its cheaper. No parking, not even the first night with the $99 cruise rate.

I LOVE Drury, but not enough to pay extra for it .. and we could have had a TA rate of $89 plus $35 parking at Drury.

I followed this advice on CC and turns out the E rate cannot be combined with the cruise rate that includes the parking .. current rate for parking at Drury with the cruise rate, is $35 the first night, but then you get free cruise parking.

Thats why the last two times I changed to the Holiday Inn Superdome. Its cheaper. No parking, not even the first night with the $99 cruise rate.

I LOVE Drury, but not enough to pay extra for it .. and we could have had a TA rate of $89 plus $35 parking at Drury.

I combined the E rate with the cruise rate, as did at least six other groups I cruised with. So I know it can be done. $89 plus the $35 parking (covers the entire cruise), plus free dinner, free cokes, three alcoholic beverages, and free breakfast. It was well worth the price. Most hotels in NOLA do charge for parking, but not all. My problem with the Holiday Superdome was the location. We wanted to be close to the French Quarter and we were. The money we saved on food actually made the Drury Inn cheaper.

No offense to trvlqueen, but I don't want the OP to get the wrong idea. The beach at Galveston isn't exactly that great. There is sand and there are waves, but the water is um, how do I put this nicely, let's just say it's not a caribbean beach.

We have cruised out of both NOLA and Galveston. I agree with everything fire said above. We prefer the larger Conquest as we love the steakhouse and the fish n chips.

You are so right. I love the Conquest and the fish n chips. And the beach in Galveston does not compare to the carribean. The water looks dirty due to all of the sand churned up. There can also be a lot of seaweed, depending on the time of year you go. Generally in April it is too cool for us to swim, but that is JMHO.

I would still cruise out of NOLA again if I could swing it. My next cruise is booked out of Galveston, because the dates and the price worked. Plus the biggest was that we want to sail on the Magic. Still trying to work NOLA in there somewhere.

I do have to say that the Galveston cruises all seem to have a little more fun at night. Triumph was fun, just missed all the dancing and bands that Conquest had.

Archived