Don't put medications in airline checked luggage

DAllenTCY

Twice this week I encountered cruise guests who had packed needed medicines in checked luggage and on both occasions the airlines mishandled the bags. The first was a gentleman who had his required heart medications (6 of them!) in checked luggage on a plane because one of his bags was over the 50 pound limit. Instead of carrying them with him, the airline check-in agent suggested that he put them in a smaller (underweight) bag....and so he did. Of course of his three checked bags, the one with the meds went missing.

Then another family arrived yesterday with a missing suitcase which contained her son's behavioral medicines.

In both instances, this was a critical mistake. Please carry necessary medication with you either in a carry on bag or purse!

David

Wow....I can't imagine doing such a thing. I have liquid medication that is non prescription that I can't do without. I always hope and pray that it makes it there. If not, I can always buy more but a prescription is different. I once talked to a lady that packed her passport in her luggage. They were just getting off the ship and not flying so she couldn't understand my concern. I just wonder what goes on in peoples heads.

There have been quite a few threads here about packing, and what people pack in their checked luggage...to their great regret! Meds you can't do without should always be in your carry-on, and if there are enough of them, you can pack them in their own case (just make sure there is nothing else in there BUT medicines and/or other medical equipment) and it can be carried with you in addition to another carry-on!

People just don't read..or understand..the regulations.

That's a good reminder. People who don't travel very often don't think about things like that. Until a few years ago my parents had never taken a cruise and they always drove when they took a trip. My husband and I were flying to Seattle with them for a cruise. They hadn't flown in about 10 years. My mom couldn't find her ID for security so I told her to use her passport. That's when I found out their passports were packed in their checked bag. I nearly freaked out, but in their defense, I hadn't told them not to pack anything important in a checked bag. I assumed (incorrectly!) that was obvious. Fortunately my mom found her ID and all their checked bags arrived in Seattle. Now they know better, but I was worried the whole flight that we would arrive in Seattle and their bag wouldn't so no cruise.

Some people just never stop to think!!

I have a small black medical bag that all of DH's (many) prescriptions go into and then that bag goes into my carry-on. Very hand to grab -- espcially on a ship or in a hotel room if anything goes wrong.

We do the same. My carryon contains meds in a separate zip bag, passports and docs, jewelry even though I never take any valuable or heirloom pieces, cash and credit cards, and makeup/hygiene items. Nothing else, but these items always go with me onto the ship.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS, BUT I WRITE ON THIS MATTER SOMEWHAT AUTHORITATIVELY SINCE I WORKED IN WHAT WAS ESSENTIALLY THE "COMPLAINT" DEPARTMENT FOR A MAJOR US AIRLINE FOR YEARS, SO LISTEN UP:

DON'T PACK **ANYTHING** IN A CHECKED BAG THAT CANNOT BE REPLACED AT THE CLOSEST WAL-MART.

FOR THAT MATTER, DON'T PACK ANYTHING IN YOUR CHECKED BAG THAT YOU WOULD BE DISTRAUGHT OVER IF YOU NEVER SAW IT AGAIN.

I'm a little sympathetic toward amateur flyers who don't know the aforementioned, but anyone who has picked up a newspaper in the last few years should know that bags get misrouted and sometimes just plain lost. Considering the enormous amount of luggage transported across the world today, the airlines do a very good job of getting every bag where its supposed to go when it's supposed to be there. However, you-know-what happens is just a fact of life.

I remember the guy who contacted me when his bag containing his house and car keys was misrouted who said, "Well, it's never been a problem before!"

Some people are just too dumb to be loose on society.

I remember the guy who contacted me when his bag containing his house and car keys was misrouted who said, "Well, it's never been a problem before!"

How close did you come to saying "Well, it is now"? :rolleyes:

Important: Do not pack your passport, medications, Express Docs or airline tickets in your checked baggage. (Remember that checked baggage might not be accessible at all times.) Keep these items close at hand in your purse or jacket pocket. We also strongly suggest that you carry or otherwise keep with you important items such as perishables, cash, credit or debit cards, jewelry, gold, silver or similar valuables, securities, financial instruments, records or other valuable or business documents, laptop computers, cellular telephones, cameras, or other video or electronic equipment, hearing aids, electric wheelchairs, scooters, binoculars, film, videotape, computer disks, audio disks, tapes or CDs.

On an earlier cruise, we had invited DW's brother and SIL to accompany us on their first ever cruise. I printed off a copy of the Know Before You Go and advised them to read it carefully before packing and heading out. This was before jeans were allowed in the MDR. The first Informal night, we dropped by their cabin to pick them up for dinner. They both walked out in matching blue jeans and denim shirts!!! When we asked them about noting the 'Informal' dress code in the Daily program, they both replied "Aren't jeans considered informal"! What a waste of paper!!! ;)

It amazes me when people will have room in their carryon for laptop, cameras, iPods, shorts, t-shirts, swimsuits, books etc etc etc but say they just didn't have room for their Rx medications. Priorities folks...... what's more important?

I measure carefully and use the largest size carryon permitted by airlines and fill it as full as I can. The more I bring with us, the less I worry about lost luggage.

The most important thing I'm sure to have room for are Rx medications.

On an earlier cruise, we had invited DW's brother and SIL to accompany us on their first ever cruise. I printed off a copy of the Know Before You Go and advised them to read it carefully before packing and heading out. This was before jeans were allowed in the MDR. The first Informal night, we dropped by their cabin to pick them up for dinner. They both walked out in matching blue jeans and denim shirts!!! When we asked them about noting the 'Informal' dress code in the Daily program, they both replied "Aren't jeans considered informal"! What a waste of paper!!! ;)

No offense to Canadians but that's called a Canadian Tuxedo. Perhaps they should have saved them for Formal Night. :D

Here is another thought. Be careful that what you were counting on being "carryon" does not end up being checked at the airport. I know of a couple that had their carryon suitcase (the roller bag type) checked at the airplane because all the overhead bins were full. Never even gave it a thought that all their travel docs, medications etc were in it since they assumed it would be carried on the plane. When the flight attendants took it at the last minute they never gave it a thought. Guess what......it was left on the tarmac and never got on the plane. Yes they got it 24 hours later at their hotel but they had no travel docs or the gentleman's medications for 24 hours. I always stuff that kind of stuff in an oversized purse I bring incase they have to check my roller bag.

I keep a HAL tote bag on the top of both our carryons. In the event the flight attendant says it has to be gate checked, I would remove Rx, jewelry and any absolutely necessary things that would fit under the seat in the HAL tote.

I measure carefully and use the largest size carryon permitted by airlines and fill it as full as I can. The more I bring with us, the less I worry about lost luggage.

I've had to gat check my carry-on roll-away suitcase on several occassions due to not enough room in the overhead bins for all the carry-ons. Don't forget to take out the meds when gate checking. There could be a chance of a mishandled bag there too.

I am with you on that one! And the laptop goes in a separate computer bag. ;)

And with you on this one too.

In somewhat of a defense for those who pack meds, important documents, etc., there is quite alot to think about when planning a trip, be it a flight or a cruise. The day of travel is always stressful, with embarkation day a close second (for those who fly in the same day as embarkation, it's even worse).

Many have made advance arrangements for house sitters, pet sitters, mail delivery, banking and bills, and so with all that on their minds, some things are not attended too, and passports are packed (or left on the kitchen table) and meds put in Dad's bag, not Susie's.

It happens. No one is smarter than anyone else; some day it will happen to the smart ones too. :)

I keep a HAL tote bag on the top of both our carryons. In the event the flight attendant says it has to be gate checked, I would remove Rx, jewelry and any absolutely necessary things that would fit under the seat in the HAL tote.

Sail- thank you! What a marvelous idea! I usually travel with a backpack (I use a cane so got to have a free hand) DH rolls the carry on case and a backpack. BUT we usually stuff those backpacks full. Next time I fly, I am taking your suggestion and putting one of my HAL totes in my backpack in case we have to gatecheck the carry on. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

Happy cruising, Kathy

Kathy,

I'm so happy you found that a useful suggestion.

To prove I'm totally 'anal', I'll add I have taken a few HAL totes (namely the ones that go on top of each of our carryons) and sewed velcro closure strip to the top. In the event I do remove Rx's, jewelry and whatever valuables and put them in those totes, with the velcro closure, I feel secure nothing will fall out of the bags when I place them under the airline seat.

I suppose the velcro strips could be applied with a strong glue fastener if you didn't want to stitch them. Maybe a few carefully placed large safety pins would also work.

Archived