Day Wear?

missingmaui

Our cruise leaves in ~7 weeks, and I need to shop! This is our first cruise, and I have no idea what to wear during the day. We are doing a few lazy, beach-y excursions and a few active, adventure-y excursions. Do you think I'll be ok in cotton shorts over a bikini/tankini and a tank top? I'll change into a skirt/dress or capris/cute top for dinner.

We are sailing on NCL, on a Western Caribbean itinerary. I'm just scared that I won't fit in at all with what everyone else is wearing. Please help me with what to pack. I'm getting stressed out because time is flying- it's hard to find shorts and swimwear in December!

I am going on a different cruise but you sound alot like me when I was trying to figure out what to wear, Everyone told me to breathe and relax this is your vacation you don't have to "fit in"

What you described sounds fine to me so good luck and have a great cruise

and oh don't know what size you are but for swimwear go to swimsuitsforall.com and try online stores like woman within for shorts and summery clothes

NCL has a relaxed dress code. Anything----shorts & swimwear with coverups are acceptable for daytime.

Slacks, skirts & sundresses are great for dinner. I think that some NCL ships allow nice jeans in the MDR. Also, NCL changed Formal Night to Dress up or Not Night. Many people wear cocktail dresses, while others remail in casual attire.

Don't worry about it-----You'll be fine.

Barb

NCL has a relaxed dress code. Anything----shorts & swimwear with coverups are acceptable for daytime.

Slacks, skirts & sundresses are great for dinner. I think that some NCL ships allow nice jeans in the MDR. Also, NCL changed Formal Night to Dress up or Not Night. Many people wear cocktail dresses, while others remail in casual attire.

Don't worry about it-----You'll be fine.

Barb

I meant to say remain.

There are as many clothing choices as there are people on the ship.

Our first cruise was in 1998 and I went out and purchased all new clothing for the entire family, day and evening. Along with that, I purchased every little suggested item I read about online, things to make your cruise vacation more enjoyable like water wallets and over-the-door shoe hangers. We ended up wearing only half of it and probably still have some of the "junk" I purchased stashed away unused in the garage somewhere, most of it ended up going to Goodwill.

If only I had read one person state that the ship is full of very average people wearing every day clothing just like you see in your own home town, I could have saved enough to pay for another cruise.

Take only the bare necessities, pack the same clothing you wear at home during hot weather and don't worry too much...the ship will be full of very average people wearing every day clothing just like you see in your own home town.

During the day, as long as you're not in a bikini in the buffet, you'll be fine. I generally put on my swimsuit, a pair of nylon/athletic shorts and a tee shirt or tank top. Then I'm good for the day. Daytime wear tends to be very casual.

Have you ever been on a land vacation in which you stayed at a nice hotel for a week with a swimming pool and went out for dinner at night? If so, wear they same type of clothing you did on that trip. It's really no different.

Thank you so much for all of your replies I have to buy new clothes because all of my summery stuff is 2 sizes too big! Before I bought new shorts and tanks, I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb. I will only buy what I'll wear again at home. The last thing I need is a closet full of "cruise clothes" that I'll never wear again. I don't know why, in my mind, that the cruise is full of people wearing seersucker pantsuits with sailboats embroidered on them... :rolleyes:

I'm really over-thinking this. I'm a worrier by nature, and it drives DH crazy. Thank you so much for letting me question myself here, instead of asking him the same question 15 times! Normal summer vacation clothes it is. Now, to shop! :)

Oh, but you will see people with seersucker suits and nautical clothing...plus clothes I'd only wear to clean out the garage and couples matching each other, even whole groups of people wearing the same tee shirt logo. Plus some hoochie looking women, some old, some young. Men with tank tops that have low cut armholes (I really dislike those :rolleyes:), men in long jeans no matter how hot or humid it is, men in tee shirts 5 sizes too small (women in tee shirts 5 sizes too small). Plus lots of great looking people in nice clothes.

You will see every kind of clothing and body shape imaginable and then some. Do not worry, it's just people and the majority of them are wonderful and there to have a fun time like you :)

Relax and enjoy!

:DI love chico's but here is an email I got today that shows some great resort wear with unlimited potential for mix and match. If you've never worn their clothes, check them out. It's a long way from only the "travelers" of old.

http://www.chicos.com/store/page.jsp?id=33100003&FromID=janetzaritsky@gmail.com&sourceid=EMC-01_03_11sspp_link=f1copy

Archived