A wrinkle in advance dinner reservations

susiesan

Someone in our roll call for the Feb. 25 Regatta sailing offered to make dinner reservations for 6 people in Polo for the first night as she qualified for making 60 day advance restaurant booking because of her cabin type. I am in an inside cabin and don't get to make a reservation until 45 days prior. O will not allow her to add me to her table under her reservation since I don't qualify yet. So I cannot share a table with my new friends. By the time I get to make an advance reservation there won't be any available as the people who book 60 days in advance will have them all booked up.

What's the strategy for those of us in steerage being able to eat in the specialty restaurants? Is it likely I will even have the opportunity to exercise my two options to try each one out? I'd be happy to join a table with strangers if that's what it takes since I can't share with my friends. Do they put large tables together to share with walk ups in Polo like they do in the MDR?

Susie

The logic behind restricting the number of Specialty Restaurant reservations guaranteed to each cabin is that all passengers, regardless of accommodation, should get a chance to book a reservation before the remaining availability is released into the general pool.

As the occupant of an inside cabin, it is true that you will be asked to make your reservation after those who have paid for Priority reservation status, but you will not be blocked out of the restaurant.

Certainly, you may share a table with your newfound friends, the strategy will involve being more flexible with the date and/or time that you dine together.

I would try to make a reservation as close as possible to whatever time they've booked...

Say they have six people at 7:30 pm on a particular day...and as close as you can get is 6:30 on that day...do it...

Then, when you get onboard, go immediately and talk to the Maitre d' and see if they can move things around a little to put you together with them...

They often have a little weasel room--someone who's reserved, then cancelled maybe...someone who last minute has had to back out of the cruise...

If they can get you together with your friends, they likely will...

If not, just use the reservation you have...and enjoy...

Thanks, Steve. I'll try that. I just remember from our last Oceania cruise that there were people from the high priced cabins eating in Polo or Toscana every single night thereby taking up most of the allotted limited reservations. They were bragging about the fact they they never once set foot in the MDR and wouldn't-steak and lobster every night for them! And all of the bigger tables were occupied by only 2 people. On a 14 day cruise we only got to eat in Polo once, never could get in to Toscana.

So if I'm entitled to one reservation in each restaurant, will they bump someone who has already used their given number and is there for a time that exceeds their allotment?

Did they have your name & booking number and it was still not allowed to add you to their table?

I booked others but we were all on the same 45 day schedule so I guess that is why I did not have a problem

Once onboard I would just go to the booking station & ask to share with your friends

Thanks, Steve. I'll try that. I just remember from our last Oceania cruise that there were people from the high priced cabins eating in Polo or Toscana every single night thereby taking up most of the allotted limited reservations. They were bragging about the fact they they never once set foot in the MDR and wouldn't-steak and lobster every night for them! And all of the bigger tables were occupied by only 2 people. On a 14 day cruise we only got to eat in Polo once, never could get in to Toscana.

So if I'm entitled to one reservation in each restaurant, will they bump someone who has already used their given number and is there for a time that exceeds their allotment?

I don't think they'd ever bump anyone with a reservation...

But those folks in the suites still only get two advanced reservations per restaurant...so you should get yours in before they can grab additional dates...

Of course, I sort of chuckle about eating in the specialty restaurants every night--I'm in a suite for my Marina cruise in August, so I get 8 advance reservations on that one...so, we're going to be eating in those specialty restaurants an awful lot...My apologies to those in "steerage", but we're going to take them...though I really wish we could reserve on behalf of some others in our roll call to dine with us...

susiesan,

I am 99.99% sure that you will get your 2 allotted reservations (1 in each restaurant), although they may not be on the days or times of your first choice. Once onboard, you may get additional reservations if you choose to get them (though these are not guaranteed).

Book as early as you can; earlier reservations and those willing to share tables are easier to come by than later ones for table for 2.

i also had to wait until 45 days out, but i am glad to say that our group of 4 did get reservations for each of the restaurants. we did get one on the night and time we wanted, the other we had to try for a different night. as we will also try the al fresco dining we were happy with our choices. oceania is not like the mass market ships, so i don't feel a real need to go to the specialty restaurants for a special meal.

steve

susiesan,

I am 99.99% sure that you will get your 2 allotted reservations (1 in each restaurant), although they may not be on the days or times of your first choice. Once onboard, you may get additional reservations if you choose to get them (though these are not guaranteed).

Book as early as you can; earlier reservations and those willing to share tables are easier to come by than later ones for table for 2.

Maybe O has changed since I sailed them in 2006, but when we did eat in Polo almost every table was occupied by only 2 people, even the tables for 6 and 8. It seems everyone wanted a table for 2 so there were no larger tables for those who wanted to dine with friends. When we tried to get a reservation for 4 later in the cruise to dine with friends we made on the ship, there were no bigger tables available because they were all taken by couples.

Because you have to have the booking number of whoever is going to be at your table, and I don't know the numbers of those on the roll call who might want to join us once we meet on the ship, when I am able to make an advance reservation at 45 days I'll have to make if for 2 only to be sure I get to use my allotted time at least once. You can see that if everyone is doing this why there won't be any reservations for a larger table available.

Very frustrating.

Susie,

I guess that was the Iceland cruise you're talking about, and I think on that one we never did dine in Polo or Toscana (not for the first time but in our case it's because we didn't bother with making a reservation).

It certainly sounds like poor decision making on Oceania's part to "waste" all that space. I can understand couples wanting to have some "alone" time, but when it means that more people are deprived of the opportunity to dine there, something is wrong.

At the very least, swap out the larger tables for smaller ones so that there is more space.

When you make your reservation online now, you are allowed to designate whether you wish a private table or are willing to share.

If you have friends who wish to join you for dinner, why not coordinate your requests for day/time, indicating you wish to "share" your table, and then when you arrive on board let the restaurant know who you want to "share" with.

That should make it easier to get the reservations you would like. Enjoy your cruise.

Because you have to have the booking number of whoever is going to be at your table, and I don't know the numbers of those on the roll call who might want to join us once we meet on the ship, when I am able to make an advance reservation at 45 days I'll have to make if for 2 only to be sure I get to use my allotted time at least once. You can see that if everyone is doing this why there won't be any reservations for a larger table available.

Very frustrating.

While what you say may be true, but if you get a reservation for 2 (and it is at a larger table, as you suggested), then you can surely add another couple to YOUR "larger" table once on board (they will have to give up their reservation, if they have one - thus making room for others).

The problem with that may be that they will have already assigned another couple to your table -- from some couple who said they would like to share.

We've always either had a preformed group OR said we'd like to share when we made the reservation and the Maitre d' did the assigning of who ate where.

If would be nice if you could tell O that "we want a table for 8 and these 6 can book now, the other 2 have to wait" and have them leave those 2 seats empty until 45 days. But it doesn't sound like they are willing to do that. If they were, they might as well make the assignment NOW, ignoring that two people are in a lower level cabin.

The problem with that may be that they will have already assigned another couple to your table -- from some couple who said they would like to share.

We've always either had a preformed group OR said we'd like to share when we made the reservation and the Maitre d' did the assigning of who ate where.

If would be nice if you could tell O that "we want a table for 8 and these 6 can book now, the other 2 have to wait" and have them leave those 2 seats empty until 45 days. But it doesn't sound like they are willing to do that. If they were, they might as well make the assignment NOW, ignoring that two people are in a lower level cabin.

Yes, that was the Iceland cruise where we saw the table hogs in action. I'm guessing they bribed someone to be able to eat in Polo every single night.

The person on our roll call tried to get a table for 6 with the 4 who can reserve now listed and hold for the other 2, us, until the 45 day date. O would not let them do this, said they could only book a table for 4 now. Not wanting to miss their allotted reservation they booked the table for 4 leaving us out in the waiting wilderness. Unless we have someone else from our roll call who wants to dine with us at the same time, I will book the table for 2 or a share if they will do it and hope for someone to join us. or maybe I can swap my table for 2 to someone who really wants it for a larger table.

I can only imagine the booking frenzy on Jan. 10 when the majority of pax are eligible to reserve ahead. It could crash the servers!!!!

Yes, that was the Iceland cruise where we saw the table hogs in action. I'm guessing they bribed someone to be able to eat in Polo every single night.

The person on our roll call tried to get a table for 6 with the 4 who can reserve now listed and hold for the other 2, us, until the 45 day date. !

Maybe when the 45 day date comes they can go back to their reservation & add you to their table

Worth a try

I can only imagine the booking frenzy on Jan. 10 when the majority of pax are eligible to reserve ahead. It could crash the servers!!!!

Maybe not. It's mostly the CC members that are so "dialed in" and they are a minority on any given cruise.

Good luck!

We never made any advance reservations, but rather waited until we were aboard. After our first two reservations, we tried on several days, and ended up eating in Polo or Toscana seven out of 14 nights. On most of the "extra" nights, we had a table for two when we wanted it.

We just returned from a cruise. We had a 45 day advance cabin and our friends had a 60 day advance cabin.

They had no trouble making reservations to include us at the 60 day level. The only thing the computer did was restrict them to making one reservation in each restaurant that included us and then they could make a second for themselves.

After one dinner in each restaurant they canceled the second as we all preferred the GDR and its varied menu.

By the way Toscana has a new menu with some great new things.

We just returned from a cruise. We had a 45 day advance cabin and our friends had a 60 day advance cabin.

They had no trouble making reservations to include us at the 60 day level. The only thing the computer did was restrict them to making one reservation in each restaurant that included us and then they could make a second for themselves.

After one dinner in each restaurant they canceled the second as we all preferred the GDR and its varied menu.

By the way Toscana has a new menu with some great new things.

O must have changed the policy. Four friends on our roll call with 60 day cabins tried to include us with a 45 day cabin at their table by reserving a table for 6, and were told that we could not join them until we were at the 45 days. And only if a larger table was available to switch the reservation to. They were told they could not reserve a table for 6 and hold 2 spaces open. So they made their own reservation for 4. They will try to get it switched to a table for 6 at the 45 days so we can join them but it's doubtful, as they have already been advised by O that all the large tables are already booked for that night. I don't want to be just 2 of us dining but will if it's the only way I get to eat in the specialty restaurants.

O must have changed the policy. Four friends on our roll call with 60 day cabins tried to include us with a 45 day cabin at their table by reserving a table for 6, and were told that we could not join them until we were at the 45 days.

I do not understand how they reserve a table for 6 :confused:

Just go to the online reservations put in the date you want for the restaurant you want then when it says Sharing say NO then they add guests(or whatever it says) put in the guest's booking number and surname then do the same again for the second couple on the same reservation

If they called reservation directly then that is where the problem started

Can they go online to their Already Booked section & add you there or do they not have a computer ?

I do not understand how they reserve a table for 6 :confused:

Just go to the online reservations put in the date you want for the restaurant you want then when it says Sharing say NO then they add guests(or whatever it says) put in the guest's booking number and surname then do the same again for the second couple on the same reservation

If they called reservation directly then that is where the problem started

Can they go online to their Already Booked section & add you there or do they not have a computer ?

As I have been communicating with these new friends from the roll call through CC, I don't know how they made the reservation. They may have called on the phone. They posted that they asked for a table for 6, gave reservations all 3 booking numbers, and were told that because my cabin is a 45 day one that they could not book a table for 6 but only a table for 4 for the 2 60 day booking cabins. They were not allowed to leave the 2 places open to add us at 45 days. It was either a table for 4 or nothing.

When the 45 days comes up I will ask them to go online to their reservation and try to add us. If they can't, I'll make a reservation for the same night at the same time as my friends for whatever table size I can get, then maybe play musical chairs when I get to the restaurant. There could be people who reserved who don't show up and a larger table could be assembled on the spot.

As I have been communicating with these new friends from the roll call through CC, I don't know how they made the reservation. They may have called on the phone. They posted that they asked for a table for 6, gave reservations all 3 booking numbers, and were told that because my cabin is a 45 day one that they could not book a table for 6 but only a table for 4 for the 2 60 day booking cabins. They were not allowed to leave the 2 places open to add us at 45 days. It was either a table for 4 or nothing.

When the 45 days comes up I will ask them to go online to their reservation and try to add us. If they can't, I'll make a reservation for the same night at the same time as my friends for whatever table size I can get, then maybe play musical chairs when I get to the restaurant. There could be people who reserved who don't show up and a larger table could be assembled on the spot.

what games you are having to play just to be able to eat dinner with your buddies!! :( LuAnn

Archived