Can I display American Flag on our balcony

1937olds

It is not tres chic' date=' is it?

However, it sometimes helps me find my own cabin. I do tend to get lost![/quote']

Do you also get lost in hotels? If you can't remember your room number, write it on your charge card or tattoo it to arm.

DON

There seems to be a fair bit of over-thinking and over-reaction to the query. Leaving a flag (or anything) out on a balcony flies in the face of common sense and, most agree, ship rules.

We have carried a small Canadian flag with us a couple of times to wave only as we either enter or leave a port. Half the time we forget we have until we pack to disembark.

It really isn't that big a deal and, in our case, it is certainly not a big political statement. It is simply for fun.

If I were a New Yorker and I saw a cruise ship in the harbor with a French flag, or any flag for that matter, hanging from the balcony, I would think that the person who did it was well, a bit of an odd duck actually. I cannot imagine why any tourist would want to plaster their flag on their cruise ship balcony. I have heard some of the comments that Europeans make when they see American tourists dressed up in stars and stripes shirts etc....the comments are not particularly flattering to those tourists.

I was in French St. Martin on vacation once and saw a guy wearing a shirt that said "Texas is bigger than France" - so sometimes American tourists deserve the unflattering comments! (What a fool!)

To echo other comments - it's just tacky to drape garb and what not from your balcony. Additionally - the real hazard is if it flies overboard. Cruise ships are held to very high environmental standards which is why guests are asked NOT to leave items on their balconies unattended.

If you can fly an American flag, why can't I fly a corporate flag or a flag espousing a political belief of social belief?

If you allow 1 type of flag, you have to allow any type of flag.

If you have to fly something from the balcony, get some naval signal flags that spell out something totally obscene and see if anyone picks up on it.

DON

Who's saying you can't fly any flag other than the American flag? I don't remember reading anything in this thread that mentioned one specific flag over any other.

The OP asked if there were rules against placing a flag on his/her balcony, and it has been stated fifty times that it is likely not allowed due to fire danger.

I don't think the OP asked what every Joe-Blow-Cruise-Critic-Poster's opinion of flying the flag is.

To the OP: If putting the flag on your balcony is against Celebrity's rules, than don't do it. But, if it was okay with the cruiseline, and you want to show your patriotism in that manner, then I suggest you completely ignore all the unsolicited opinions offered in your thread.

I am questioning nobody's patriotism.

Just cheering someone's desire to display their flag.

I hope they do it, and I hope they do it in a safe manner.

I do think there are people who are ashamed by such a display, I think there are some people who would want the OP to be demure about his feelings....and they've got the right to feel that way and many times, they'll cloak those feelings with safety and other concerns.

Everyone may feel as they want.

Here's to the OP.

(Fly a flag from some other country....there would be less controversy)

Can I fly an American flag from our balcony onboard Millie?

Getting back to the question - The answer is a simple no. Ship rules state that nothing is to be left on balconies as it is a fire hazard. It has nothing to do with patriotism, lack of it or anything else.

Simply put - It's a FIRE HAZARD!!!!

I am questioning nobody's patriotism.

Just cheering someone's desire to display their flag.

I hope they do it, and I hope they do it in a safe manner.

I do think there are people who are ashamed by such a display, I think there are some people who would want the OP to be demure about his feelings....and they've got the right to feel that way and many times, they'll cloak those feelings with safety and other concerns.

Everyone may feel as they want.

Here's to the OP.

(Fly a flag from some other country....there would be less controversy)

Well said.

I would bet that, if the OP wanted to fly the flag of a smaller or less developed country, he/she would be met with a lot less resistance, even though I don't understand why.

It's not a good idea. Towels or clothing have been known to catch on fire due to tossed cigarettes, resulting in deaths of passengers. That's why cruise lines do not permit such unattended, flamable items to be kept on balconies.

Also, maritime regulations require specific flag protocol to be observed by vessels entering teritorial waters. For example, vessels are required to display a courtesy flag of the country they are entering. A yellow quarrantine flag must be flown until the vessel clears customs, etc.

Denny... WVUfan...

I appreciate your comments a lot (and in particular your service in a thankless war WV) so - please - I ask the following not to be snarky or provokative, but...

In the public mind, why is 'love of country' (ie, patriotism) almost always married to militarism? If you don't blindly support all things military - then why it is so often posited belligerently - that one lacks 'love of country'? How is it that 'love of country' seems to have become the exclusive preserve of veterans?

First, I did not take your post to be "snarky,":). I never said or intended to convey that military service is the only expression of love of country, but it certainly is a good one. I anticipated that some posters might say that my opinion on flying the flag on board was unpatriotic and was simply providing examples from my own life to establish my credibility. In addition to military service, which was my honor and privalege, I noted that I fly the flag at home, sing the National Anthem at events, etc.

"Love of country" is certainly not an exclusive claim of veterans, but that is one group who has walked the walk.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

First, I did not take your post to be "snarky,":). I never said or intended to convey that military service is the only expression of love of country, but it certainly is a good one. I anticipated that some posters might say that my opinion on flying the flag on board was unpatriotic and was simply providing examples from my own life to establish my credibility. In addition to military service, which was my honor and privalege, I noted that I fly the flag at home, sing the National Anthem at events, etc.

"Love of country" is certainly not an exclusive claim of veterans, but that is one group who has walked the walk.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

TKS for the well reasoned feedback Denny & WVUfan... As a cruiser, being a good ambassador is good service. Without good reason, I've never thought flag waving abroad was a great method of being an ambassador (a discreet patch is one thing, flags another).

Aside - Reminds me of living in Luxembourg (30+ years back) and Great Britain was playing 'football' in the run up to the world cup but had to beat the little Gr. Duchy of Lux by 2 or 3 goals to proceed. The massive influx of massively intoxicated Brits into Lux for the game was... interesting. I'll not forget a little old lady on Rue de la Liberte (or maybe it was Rue Eisenhower - they LOVED us there!:D) side stepping a Brit passed out face down on the pavement with his union jack cape looking like a buriel shroud... Not a great display. When GB only won the game 2-1 it went downhill from there...

Cruise ships have flag protocols that are interesting and worth looking at. They fly the owner's flag on the foremast and the registry nation's in the stern; in port they fly the port nation's flag also on the foremast. There are a lot of interesting semaphor also still retained - now largely as custom and ritual.

I think there are better ways for individuals to display patriotism abroad than flag waving. Being respectful of the locals and pointing out positive historical ties that bind are a good start. My 13 yo son bicycled 600 miles down the Rhine river this summer with Swiss friends. I suggested they plan to stop in Remagen (at the bridge abutments). They were curious and interested to do so. The photos they e-mailed (wish I had'em on this pc to attach) showing the 9th Armored Div. citation plaques and... Old Glory flying from the top of the abutments - were inspiring.

HAPPY CRUISING!

Who's saying you can't fly any flag other than the American flag? I don't remember reading anything in this thread that mentioned one specific flag over any other.

I was not referring to flags from another country. I was referring to flags from commercial organizations, sports clubs, advocacy groups (can you imagine a person flying a flag from an anti-abortion group, political candidate (the idea of this is difficult to imagine), etc.

The problem is that if you open the door to what would seem to be reasonable positions, you may end up also opening the door to all positions.

DON

I may be mistaken………but I believe that for the price of $49 US dollars (approximately 35 Euro dollars) one can purchase in the onboard shops of the Summit the “Complete Cruiser-Patriot Decorating Kit” including: a 4x6 non flammable flag of your country of choice; express permission to “fly it proudly”; a lapel pin in the image of the flag of choice to be worn on casual days and an additional formal flag lapel pin for formal nights; decals expressing heart felt loyalty to the country of choice; a tee shirt in the colors of country of choice with large print inscriptions to the effect that “My Country is the Best and Yours is Not” or “I Love My Country and I Buy Automobiles Made in Yours”. The kit also includes a CD of Patriotic Music of the Country of Choice in the language and music style popular in said country. The kit is available for any country found on a sixth grade classroom map in that country

It seems to me that there are two good reasons why the OP should leave his flag at home.

The first is obvious - the safety issue so clearly articulated by others on this thread.

The second is one of sensitivity to others. As a Canadian who has also lived overseas, one of the reasons why Americans are held in low esteem by many is their in-your-face, over the top, "my country right or wrong", manifest destiny sense of patriotism. The flag on the balcony is just one example of this behaviour.

I concur with westcoast. A discrete and tasteful lapel pin would serve the same purpose in an inoffensive manner.

It seems to me that there are two good reasons why the OP should leave his flag at home.

The first is obvious - the safety issue so clearly articulated by others on this thread.

The second is one of sensitivity to others. As a Canadian who has also lived overseas, one of the reasons why Americans are held in low esteem by many is their in-your-face, over the top, "my country right or wrong", manifest destiny sense of patriotism. The flag on the balcony is just one example of this behaviour.

I concur with westcoast. A discrete and tasteful lapel pin would serve the same purpose in an inoffensive manner.

Well said lambcom !!

As a Canadian who has also lived overseas, one of the reasons why Americans are held in low esteem by many is their in-your-face, over the top, "my country right or wrong", manifest destiny sense of patriotism. The flag on the balcony is just one example of this behaviour.

Ya' think?!:D No '54-40 or Fight!'??;)

Wow, you do not show much sensitivity. I find your comment a little on the rude side.

You've got to be kidding me. The OP is visiting the Caribbean. Hanging an American flag on his balcony is not going to offend the natives. They just want him to spend his money on their island. Us Americans are held in low esteem huh. Well when something happens in the world the first place they turn to is the US for help. It would be nice if our neighbors to the north could remember that.

If I see an American flag hanging from a balcony on a EU registered vessel like all Celebrity ships, I will have it removed.

You do NOT have the authorisation from company, country of registry and master to hang out any other national flag onboard other than the official sanctionned ones.

Is it so hard to understand that most people DO NOT WANT blatant and to be honest rude US nationalism smeared in our faces when not on US territory?!:mad:

I can as well fly the Iranian flag in the US from my hotel balcony. See what reaction THAT will get...

If I see an American flag hanging from a balcony on a EU registered vessel like all Celebrity ships, I will have it removed.

You do NOT have the authorisation from company, country of registry and master to hang out any other national flag onboard other than the official sanctionned ones.

Is it so hard to understand that most people DO NOT WANT blatant and to be honest rude US nationalism smeared in our faces when not on US territory?!:mad:

I can as well fly the Iranian flag in the US from my hotel balcony. See what reaction THAT will get...

Go ahead... it's called the Iranian Embassy. It's in NYC.

ANd lighten up while you're at it. You fly whatever flag you want. I'll fly mine. I paid for my stateroom!

Archived