Buying Bonine or other seasick meds near Port of Miami?

janalovesandy

On cruises in the past I have taken Bonine for seasickness and found it really helpful. I looked where I live (Saskatchewan, Canada) and was told that they weren't able to get it anymore. Just wondering if anyone else takes it and has seen it in Miami, or if you can recommend something else?

Just wondering if anyone else takes it and has seen it in Miami, or if you can recommend something else?

Is Bonine a prescription drug in the US? I'm not sure. I use Dramamine (non-prescription) and its readily available here in Miami. In downtown Miami not far from the port you can find it at Walgreens and CVS.

You could probably even get it at the airport for a lot more money but it would save you extra cash in cab fare.

Bonine is not prescription. We are able to get it in Indiana at CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, etc. So, possibly just try another store in your area. Dramamine is one of the most popular ones and it works well for me. It comes in a drowsy or non-drowsy formula. There are also patches that you can buy that you put behind your ear. I would go into a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist to help you find it. They should have something. And just in case you're cruising on Princess, they do carry a seasickness medication in their store on the ship or at least they did on the Emerald Princess when we were on it in November. The one they carried was a chewable type. I just personally wouldn't take a chance that they might be out of it or might not carry it anymore if I thought I would need it. Good Luck.

Bonine is not prescription.

Thanks I wasn't sure, I haven't seen it, but then again I'm always headed straight for the dramamine.

There are also patches that you can buy that you put behind your ear.

The patch I know for a fact you need a prescription. That one is called Transderm Scop.

http://www.transdermscop.com/about-transderm-scop.htm

The non-drowsy Dramamine is the same as Bonine, the generic of which is meclizine. I usually buy the Target-brand, but don't know if that's available in Canada.

The one time I took Dramamine (the regular one), I fell asleep standing up waiting to get on the mobile lounge (bus) at Dulles Airport! Then on a ferry I took the non-drowsy version and fell asleep again (but I already didn't feel well).

Now I swear by Bonine (or the generic) but take it at night before bed (including the night before we get on the ship).

I'm sure there must be a Rite-Aid, Walgreens or CVS in Miami that you can try. Good luck!

Last time I cruised on Norweigan, they gave meclizine away, for free, at the purser's desk just for the mere asking and in any quantity requested (within reason, of course). The theory was that if you're onboard and you're sick, then you're not spending money in their stores, in their bars or on their excursions.

I guess the cruise ships don't give that out anymore, eh?

I usually buy the Target-brand, but don't know if that's available in Canada.

No, we don't have Target in Canada.

One time I did buy Bonine at Fred Meyer before our cruise and after one pill, I thought I was going to die. So much cloudiness, fuzzy and drowsy... wow... I lost a whole day. Never again for me. :( But I do understand it works for many people.

On cruises in the past I have taken Bonine for seasickness and found it really helpful. I looked where I live (Saskatchewan, Canada) and was told that they weren't able to get it anymore. Just wondering if anyone else takes it and has seen it in Miami, or if you can recommend something else?

As a Canadian, I was very frustrated when Bonine was no longer carried in pharmacies. I always stock up when I'm in Florida. Any pharmacy will have it...in their regular shelves!

One time I did buy Bonine at Fred Meyer before our cruise and after one pill, I thought I was going to die. So much cloudiness, fuzzy and drowsy... wow... I lost a whole day. Never again for me. :( But I do understand it works for many people.

This is why I have to take it at night; I'd be out of it all day, too. But without it, I'm not feeling so good when the ships starts sailing. ;)

There is a CVS drug store that is located near Bayside in Miami. Bayside is located just a short distance across the bridge from the Port of Miami. You will be able to find Bonine there and it does not require a prescription in the USA.

Keith

Thanks for the help everyone! I have problems with being out cold after taking other meds! I have gotten some at the purser's desk before (which is actually how I discovered it in the first place) but would rather have my own supply with me. I will be sure to stock up when I find it!

My advice is to take Ginger Pills. They are a natural supplement that you find in the vitamin section at the grocery store or pharmacy. I've tried the patch (HATED IT!) and I've used Bonine and Dramamine. I take two Ginger pills in the morning and two before dinner. I begin to take them a couple of days before we cruise and sometimes for a day or two after we get home until I get my land legs back. I do not go on a cruise without a bottle of Ginger pills. I first learned about Ginger pills effect on motion sickness on the Discovery TV show called Mythbusters. They proved that it really works. I've been using them on every cruise since then.

Archived