Waterproof Watches

Colorado Kat

Citizen makes a solar powered ecodrive watch which doesn't have a battery so it maintains it waterproof-ness.

My citizen is only waterproof to like 10 meters, good for showering, but not for diving. I still think its a beautiful watch .. but so is yours. gorgeous.

Not for diving but I have gone in the pools, ocean, hot tubs and never had a problem. I remember first time I went in I was like oh oh I'm going to have that foggy lens but was pleasantly surprised. Just pulled out the instructions - yes I know my husband is a nerd keeping this stuff. If your Citizen is WR50 you can get up to moderate exposure to water such as washing, kitchen work and swimming. If it is WR100/200 you can skin dive and do marine sports but not scuba diving with an air tank. If it is just Water Resistant than the most is minor exposure to water such as washing face, rain, etc. Yes it does say washing face - LOL

I have a Tissot T-Race as my everyday watch, which is usually the one I wear during the day on the cruises. I send it to the Tissot Service Center every three years to have the battery replaced, cleaned and "tuned up." I haven't had an issue with the waterproofing. When they send it back to me, they send the old battery and gasket/seal! Its not cheap though $75.00.

Well, the Casio suits me fine, but is only $20-$25 to purchase. But it was annoying when it died in the swimming pool. I had forgotten it had the battery changed once. And finding another watch to buy on the ship was expensive. But it drove me crazy not to have one.

I have replaced my own batteries in Casios and, if done properly, the watch does continue to be waterproof (you must carefully reseat the rubber seal). But as has already been said, many Casios tend to be inexpensive and some folks find it pays to simply buy a new watch when the battery dies. In fact, replacing the watch band (which eventually breaks) and battery can cost nearly as much as a new watch. That being said, I recently purchased a new inexpensive Casio that has a battery that is supposed to last 10 years.

Hank

Citizen makes a solar powered ecodrive watch which doesn't have a battery so it maintains it waterproof-ness.

Eco drives DO have a battery which will eventually need replacement. It's a reserve battery which allows the watch to store the solar charge. It may not have to be replaced as frequently, but will be require eventually.

I researched prior to buying my Calibre 2100 which I love. Was a lil peeved as everyone who sells Eco drive watches uses the misleading "never needs a battery"

I love my Timex Expedition. I've been snorkeling, swimming, hot tubbing, white water rafting, and the ocasional shower...lol and never take it off. I've been through at least 13 bands, but my Timex keeps on ticking. I picked my original one up for about 24$, that was about 15 years ago.. Just last year it quit "lighting" and I retired it to my rear view mirror. I've since replaced it with another Timex Expedition and so far have had no problems.

You can't beat it for the money.

I haven't seen one onboard that would match it. (that didn't cost way, way more)

I have a lot of watches, but I have two that I'd call great cruise watches (both are water proof):

1) Casio Pathfinder triple sensor. I has analog and digital display, tells temp, alt, compass, barometer, is solar powered.

2) Timex WS4- it too has all the above functions (except it is not solar powered). One neat thing about the battery is that it is in its own compartment and can be removed easily with a coin like a dime (intentionally easy by design) and it won't hurt the water proof of the watch.

Another neat thing is that is icons forcasting the weather (sun, partly sunny, cloudy, rain) that is actually pretty accurate. The weather can be nice, but once it shows rain, within a few hours you can expect to see rain or winds, pretty cool.

I have an older Heuer watch, and I religiously sent it to them to replace the battery, which got expensive as time went by. Most recently, they sent my watch back as they no longer had parts for it --- I suspect they no longer had the crowns (stems) which they regularly were requiring each time, though my guess is that that was simply a way to raise the prices. I went to a friend who is a fine jeweler, and he knew someone who could replace the battery the gaskets and reseal it properly. I have been diving with it since, and it is fine.

It isn't magic, but the little kiosk at the mall isn't going to do it properly. Make sure that if you take it to someone, that you explain that it has to be waterproof, and they have to assure you that they know how to do that. If they won't guarantee their work, go elsewhere.

Archived