Hotel near port or train station?

LostFan#1

After our cruise in April, we are staying in Barcelona for a couple of days. Should we try for a hotel near the port or the train station? I assume the train is the cheapest way to the airport? If so, that is what we will likely use.

Thanks.

I think you will find it more interesting to stay in a hotel that is not near the port itself, but rather one that is more centrally located and where you can get out and easily walk around some of the areas you'll no doubt want to see, including Las Ramblas and the Placa Catalunya area. (Not to mention access to restaurants, etc.)

Barcelona is easy to get around, by metro and by taxi, and by walking.

I don't know if you've found this very helpful web site yet that has a ton of info about getting around the city, but according to it, the train does not deposit you right at the airport terminals:

"Barcelona Sants station is a major rail station that offers train connections to many other destinations outside Barcelona.

The train will drop you off about 5 mins walk from the airport main entrance for Terminal 2. If you need to go to Terminal 1, there is a
that leaves from directly outside the train station."

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/airport/barcelona-airport-transport.html#renfe

BTW, a cab from the center of Barcelona is about 30E, certainly the easiest way to go with luggage. In terms of a cheaper way to go, there is also the Aerobus; the info is on the web site above.

Have a great trip!

I suggest you stay somewhere near Placa Catalunya, the main square of the city.

The train is NOT the easiest way to get to the airport with luggage!! You cannot really handle and watch your belongings easily getting to the train.

There is an express bus from Placa Catalunya that will take you there and as mentioned above , taxis are plentiful and not so expensive.

There is a hotel (Barcelo) inside Barcelona Sants station which is a major transportation hub (intercity & suburban trains, metro, bus, etc). There is a cheap & frequent 20 min direct train from airport to Sants; I think 1.40 euro (but could be higher this year). I don't necessary agree with the previous poster about the train; I've taken many times and don't see what the issue is. It's easy to get to from the terminal and luggage goes on the floor and can be watched. Train can be crowded depending on the time of day and seats may not be available. Of course cab is more convenient; no argument here. Also cab from Sants to cruise port is 15 to 20 euros.

http://www.barcelo.com/BarceloHotels/en-GB/Hotels/Spain/Barcelona/Sants/Home.htm

But neighborhood near Plaza Catalynia is definitely more alive than one near Sants; not much there for a tourist.

After our cruise in April, we are staying in Barcelona for a couple of days. Should we try for a hotel near the port or the train station? I assume the train is the cheapest way to the airport? If so, that is what we will likely use.

Thanks.

Look at staying at a Hotel near station Franco, short walk from Columbus Sq along the promenade to Marina .

we take the port bus from Ship to Columbus, starts @ 8.15am, 2 euros

train runs from Franco into Sans, same platform for next train to Airport, same fare, very convenient for those who have roller cases.

prefer this station to Sans, no elevators or stairs, just a walk onto train

Thanks for the responses, but now I am not sure what to do! Train, bus, or cab to airport? Sounds like staying near Sants Station is less desirable, for we do want to walk out of our hotel and get on to sight-seeing. We are, however, not afraid of walking! We stayed near Termini in Rome and walked all over for 3 days, including to the Vatican. We never used public transport. But we stayed near Termini so we could take the train to the airport. But it sounds as if this is not necessary in Barcelona.

So, any other ideas are welcomed, and it is clear I need to get out a good map of BCN and figure out the areas to visit. Thanks to the one poster for the website. That will be very helpful.

Debbie

Depends what your plans are. Train station location is great for day trips (Tarragona, Dali museum in Figueres, Monserrtat, etc) as your train will be in 2 min reach (except train for Monserrat that goes from Plaza Espana). If you decide to go tourism office in Sants will sell you a combo ticket that include return trip metro, round trip train to Monserrat, cable car & all transport inside Monserrat.

Barcelona transit is cheap (10 T1 tickets for 8.25, they also sell 2 & 3 day passes); website is good for planning http://www.tmb.cat/en_US/home.jsp. I just don't find the area around Sants exciting (although Sants has everything on site, shopping, supermarket, etc). But if you walked from Termini to Vatican (which is probably close to 1.5 hrs) then you can get to most of tourist destinations from Sants.

Thanks for the responses, but now I am not sure what to do! Train, bus, or cab to airport? Sounds like staying near Sants Station is less desirable, for we do want to walk out of our hotel and get on to sight-seeing. We are, however, not afraid of walking! We stayed near Termini in Rome and walked all over for 3 days, including to the Vatican. We never used public transport. But we stayed near Termini so we could take the train to the airport. But it sounds as if this is not necessary in Barcelona.

So, any other ideas are welcomed, and it is clear I need to get out a good map of BCN and figure out the areas to visit. Thanks to the one poster for the website. That will be very helpful.

Debbie

hi Debbie,

that is why we take the train from the station Estacio DE Franca at the Marina, no hassle, stairs or lifts to train ,OR chance of pick pockets that you may encounter at Sans?

Debbie, my suggestion is to book a hotel near the Placa de Catalunya, then look at the sattelite/streetview maps on Google Earth. Several blocks away from P. de Catalunya is fine, usually the opposite direction from Las Ramblas. Passeig de Gracia and Rambla de Catalunya are both particularly nice, wide, open streets, with numerous choices.

The Aero bus from P. de Catalunya in front of the huge El Corte Ingles is a very convenient and safe way to get the the airport. It is designed for travelers, so lots of room for luggage.

There are metro stations around P. de Catalunya, and this is considered the center of the city, so it makes a great base for you extra time!

Stay near the city center at one of the many hotels people here recommend. We stayed at Jazz before our cruise and our cruise ended in Venice and we stayed afterwards there. I spent so much time worrying about trying to save money on public transportation and one day decided that I'd just spent thousands of dollars on the cruise and wondered why $25 euro now offended my senses. In any case, I'd not stay near the port but that's me. Nothing to do there and I think most city center hotels are in a safer area. JMO.

Financialgrl: How central did you find the Jazz ? Was it close to the transportation centre ? What were the +'s and -'s about staying there?

Stay near the city center at one of the many hotels people here recommend. We stayed at Jazz before our cruise and our cruise ended in Venice and we stayed afterwards there. I spent so much time worrying about trying to save money on public transportation and one day decided that I'd just spent thousands of dollars on the cruise and wondered why $25 euro now offended my senses. In any case, I'd not stay near the port but that's me. Nothing to do there and I think most city center hotels are in a safer area. JMO.

Financialgrl: How central did you find the Jazz ? Was it close to the transportation centre ? What were the +'s and -'s about staying there?

Jazz is minutes away from Rambla and the Plaza but far enough off to avoid noise. Walking to those areas you pass most of the hotels recommended on here along that route. The exception are those that people say are a few streets over. Jazz was great and I'd not hesitate to stay there again but I also wouldn't hesitate trying any of the others recommended here in the same vicinity if Jazz was unavailable after checking Trip Advisor to read reviews. I think I'd read that Jazz is a relatively new hotel (2004) and so it was still pretty new looking and well kept.

As for transportation, you are a few minutes away from the Plaza fountains where the HoHo buses begin/end, and you'd see cabs around that area also. Saw the blue Aerobus to/from the airport down in the Plaza area a lot too. Jazz happens to be located directly near/on the Metro (Universitat stop) which is why you sometimes can hear/feel the rumble of the trains (you'll see people comment on that) . It never bothered us because, like most subway systems it ends in the late evening eventually and neither of us are light sleepers if we'd chosen to turn in early.

...I spent so much time worrying about trying to save money on public transportation and one day decided that I'd just spent thousands of dollars on the cruise and wondered why $25 euro now offended my senses.

Ain't it the truth! HAHA!

I find myself thinking the same every once in a while and have to remind myself I am not at the grocery store looking for the cheapest bread!

I'm on vacation and the convenience of taking the taxi will fare outweigh the stress of finding our way around a starnge city with luggage and be worth every Euro!

:p

Jazz is minutes away from Rambla and the Plaza but far enough off to avoid noise. Walking to those areas you pass most of the hotels recommended on here along that route. The exception are those that people say are a few streets over. Jazz was great and I'd not hesitate to stay there again but I also wouldn't hesitate trying any of the others recommended here in the same vicinity if Jazz was unavailable after checking Trip Advisor to read reviews. I think I'd read that Jazz is a relatively new hotel (2004) and so it was still pretty new looking and well kept.

As for transportation, you are a few minutes away from the Plaza fountains where the HoHo buses begin/end, and you'd see cabs around that area also. Saw the blue Aerobus to/from the airport down in the Plaza area a lot too. Jazz happens to be located directly near/on the Metro (Universitat stop) which is why you sometimes can hear/feel the rumble of the trains (you'll see people comment on that) . It never bothered us because, like most subway systems it ends in the late evening eventually and neither of us are light sleepers if we'd chosen to turn in early.

Thanks for sharing the info about Hotel Jazz!

We're booked there for two nights before our cruise this Fall!

Thanks for sharing the info about Hotel Jazz!

We're booked there for two nights before our cruise this Fall!

We loved Jazz. We entered the room and it was dark and kinda warm in the hot summer and I couldn't get the lights to come on and thought uh-oh. You'll NEVER remember this between now and fall and I guess they sometimes forget to tell you but HINT HINT - - when you enter the room, the lights and A/C won't work unless you insert your room key in the slot on the wall right inside the door. The room cooled down quickly. Room key also needs to be inserted into a slot in the elevator to make it move upward to the floors where the rooms are.

Archived