Group Rate on Carnival

Cras108er

My family is planning a get together in Jacksonville in March. I want to propose that we make it a family cruise. I am one of only two family members who has cruised before. I am thinking that doing a four-day cruise to the Bahamas would be a good introduction (personally, that is a little short for me, but it is probably more realistic for everyone else). I searched on line and the cheapest rate was $255 for an inside cabin.

My question is, how does one go about getting a group rate and should I expect it to be any cheaper than that? Also, I have never planned a group trip like this, so any tips from more experienced members would be appreciated.

Thanks!

My family is planning a get together in Jacksonville in March. I want to propose that we make it a family cruise. I am one of only two family members who has cruised before. I am thinking that doing a four-day cruise to the Bahamas would be a good introduction (personally, that is a little short for me, but it is probably more realistic for everyone else). I searched on line and the cheapest rate was $255 for an inside cabin.

My question is, how does one go about getting a group rate and should I expect it to be any cheaper than that? Also, I have never planned a group trip like this, so any tips from more experienced members would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm currently doing a group of 22 family members. Call group sales at Carnival and they can help you out. They gave me a good price and an OBC for each cabin and they've been great to work with. This being said, I know my family well and know I won't run in to issues/complaints/whining/blaming/etc. If you are unsure please engage a TA to help you so you can enjoy the cruise too. Good luck! Family cruises are really fun.

I'm currently doing a group of 22 family members. Call group sales at Carnival and they can help you out. They gave me a good price and an OBC for each cabin and they've been great to work with. This being said, I know my family well and know I won't run in to issues/complaints/whining/blaming/etc. If you are unsure please engage a TA to help you so you can enjoy the cruise too. Good luck! Family cruises are really fun.

was there a minimum number of cabins you had to book, or class of cabins? Are you all together in one area? Did it all go on one credit card, or is everyone paying their own?

8 cabins give you one free berth (less than the inside rate). The group rate will be probably higher than ES rates .. and if they want to do ES then they have to buy up to the perks like OBC.

I think you would be better off giving everyone the phone number to book themselves and not taking responsibility. Just causes hard feelings that one person does the deciding much less getting something off their cabin .. unless you split the little bit of money ($150?) whatever it is.

Iv done better on my own than group rates ... and dont forget if you do pick the group rate, so that you dont have all the drawbacks of ES (no name changes, no changes, nonrefundable deposit) .. they wouldnt get price drops after final payment .. all these things can come back and kick the person who does the planning if they are not careful

was there a minimum number of cabins you had to book, or class of cabins? Are you all together in one area? Did it all go on one credit card, or is everyone paying their own?

We have a large group set up on a 3 day cruise. I think (not positive, I'm trying to remember) that a min. of 8 cabins (16 people) makes up a group. We are all over the ship in different stateroom catagories. We set this up with Carnival's Group Department. First, the Group Leader calls and sets up the cruise booking with the Group Department. Then everyone calls in on their own, gives the Booking number and pays for their Stateroom with their own Credit Card. We were also given points that our Group Leader could use to pick out some free goodies for everyone. I hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the info. I'm sorry. I'm not familiar with the acronyms. What is OBC (outside balcony cabin[?]) and ES rates? Do you get the discount on the number of cabins or the number of passengers?

I think some of us may end up subsidizing others, so splitting the discount might actually work well. I've suggested a cruise a coule times before, but I don't think people really believe me when I say there is not a more economical [and fun] way to travel.

One more thing. Can I call and set everything up without being committed to the cruise. I would prefer to just let everyone know the details and get a commitment from them then, rather than trying to get consensus in advance (I know my family too) ;-)

ES = early saver rate .. which is a cheaper rate than the so called group rate.

remember nothing is free with carnival .. you get a higher rate with perks, its still a higher rate.

Im one whose first cruise back was a group cruise and I know the free berth two got irked me and that they got to pick the perks, and I paid a higher rate.

They can book non group and probably beat any group rate. Carnival really has stopped doing groups unless you insist. Its not that good of a deal. Their group dept is a very small group these days .. because people can book on their own cheaper and not pay the group rates.

How about if someone is military .. thats probably better than any group rate too but they need to pay the higher rate, cant do military if its offered to subsidize your group folks.

Group rates on carnival used to be good, no more.

The other posters are correct, 8 cabins for a group and you get "credit" for the one berth minus port and taxes of the category in which we had the most bookings. In the end the price was the same as the ES once we credited back the one free berth.

firefly is right on with with the advice of doing a group rather than ES to avoid restrictions/parameters to your bookings.

In our case it's all going on one credit card but I've also done it where I made the bookings then each person called Carnival group individually to make payment.

You can create a group and guess at what type and how many cabins. You then have a couple of months I think (sorry I don't quite remember how long) to make the payments. Cabins won't be assigned to a particular person until they make their deposit. Call Carnival Group, they are VERY helpful and will tell you the exact steps you need to take.

Archived