Undercover Boss Tonight - NCL CEO

negc

A young friend of mine is currently working on the Pride of America. She has been there just a month now. She called today and I asked about the show. I didn't have a lot of time to get into details as she was on her 1 hour break off the ship, but she did say that they had a viewing of the episode and all the crewmembers laughed as that was NOT a crew cabin and "it was all lies". She didn't expand as we had to cut the conversation short, but I did find it funny that all the employees thought it was a joke. I really feel bad for her because she was so excited to go and have that experience, but she is not having a good time and she says morale is really low and everyone is 'jumping ship' because they can't take working on it anymore. She says she is going to give it 2 more weeks as a new batch of crewmembers comes aboard this weekend and if it hasn't gotten any better, she's coming home. She's an awesome person, a very hard worker, and loves to work with customers (she is a waitress where I work), but was put in a job that requires her to stuff bread baskets all by herself for 9 hours a day and then vaccuum for 2 1/2 hours at night and she's going stir crazy. Poor thing, she is so homesick.:(

Its funny that everyone is laughing at the mock ice skating rink. I see them all over in South Florida. Delray Beach always has one downtown around the holidays. So I guess seeing one of these wasn't that strange or pointless to me! We only have a few real ice skating rinks down here anyway.:D

Just a few miles south, Boca Town Center had one this year too. But I never saw adults use it. It was always for children...at least when I was there.

I honestly don't think the plastic "ice rink" was a bad idea. The bad idea was that it had to be set up before use and torn apart after use, an exhausting and time consuming process. Also the "ice rink" was laid over the basketball court, depriving basketball fans of its use. If the ice rink was worth doing at all, it should have had a permanent, dedicated space that did not require set ups and tear downs.

Hubby and I both thought the CEO probably regretted showing on TV what bad planning NCL employed in this failed "ice rink" scheme. I can't imagine Disney or RCI or Carnival airing such embarrassing mistakes on TV.

Interesting, I interpreted the statement as referring to the entertainment staff. My thinking was the Epic clearly entails some really annoying extra responsibilities for the entertainment staff (like assembling that plastic goopey rink puzzle) that aren't present on the other ships... therefore entertainment staff would just not want to deal with that.

Who knows... wish they hadn't edited it like that so we could find out for sure what she meant!

Regardless of whether she was referring to staff or to passengers, it was still a telling statement and certainly not a positive one. I'm surprised that it slipped by when they were editing the program. I doubt that I would be excited to be on a ship where the staff was so unhappy about things on the ship that they didn't want to return to it. And I probably wouldn't be happy about a ship that claimed to have a skating rink only to find what was shown on TV.

She's an awesome person, a very hard worker, and loves to work with customers (she is a waitress where I work), but was put in a job that requires her to stuff bread baskets all by herself for 9 hours a day and then vaccuum for 2 1/2 hours at night and she's going stir crazy.

That's definitely a tough gig for any customer oriented person; perhaps there'll be a rotation shortly and can do something with more interaction.

Smileyperry...here in Ohio we just head for the nearest pond or lake. Heck, there's been times when after an ice storm we've bobb sled down our hill in the back yard. Now you understand why that all looked so tacky to me. As well, we are used the ice skating rinks on RC. It puts it all in a whole new perspective. Also, while that was going on, no one could play basketball? It seemed like a losing idea from the get go.

IMO from everything I've read about "reality TV", most of the shows are less than real or at least have moments that are staged. And they're all edited to present the picture producers want viewers to see. Our son-in-law works for one of the companies featured in another segment of Undercover Boss and he said they all knew this show would be filmed beforehand as they had to sign waivers permitting themselves to be filmed.

Sherri:)

Archived